main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***---===ONLY TWO MORE DAYS LEFT TO GET 1AND1 FREE WEB HOSTING!!!===---***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ThePaladin, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePaladin

ThePaladin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2004
    GET IT NOW!!

In case you are a new user and don't know what one and one is, it's a free webhosting service that offers a 3 year hosting plan with 500 megabytes of webspace and 5 GIGABYTES of bandwidth. IF you are using Geocities Angelfire or Tripod, this is your last change, get it quick. It also offers FAST, RELIABLE, and of course, AFFORDABLE service, which is the IDEAL for FANFILMS! So if you haven't already, SIGN UP NOW!

For those noobs, newbs, and newbies that missed it the first time, 1and1 free hosting, click here!!

EDIT: Message

EDIT 2: Message Spelling and Title

2. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO

QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    But only if you live in the USA/Canada. :mad:
    Anybody know of similar offers for the UK?if not i may go with 1&1(UK)not free but seem reasonably priced.

3. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    I can vouch for the fact that this is a great and fairly easy thing. When my three years are up I will definitely be buying a plan from these guys. (which, of course, is their intent with this thing. ;))

4. SobiWan

SobiWan Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2001
    Its good that it is your intention because it is in the contract that you MUST buy a 'plan' from them after the 3 years is up. How long the plan is I do not recall.

5. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    What are the obligations and commitments? Can I cancel anytime?
    There are no obligations. You may cancel your account anytime. Unless you want to register domain names or you wish to add additional services, we even won?t ask you for a credit card.

6. Aliensfilm

Aliensfilm Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2000
    It's a fast, reliable & cool web service that everyone here should have. I really like mine, things actually download faster off my 1and1 server then they do with the other web service I pay for.

7. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    You MUST buy a plan afterwards? Not a clause I caught, that.

8. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    huh! wait what? uh oh... really? i am confused... :::reads full thread:::

9. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    No, I never saw anything like that. The above was a quote from the FAQ. No obligation means not having to continue their service after the free trial.

10. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    right... and what would they do? send us a bill in the mail ?[face_plain] :p

i think what might be meant by this is "you must buy an account after the three years, IF you want to keep your site up" (or lose it)

11. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    Yes, they can charge you -- you submitted your phone number...but you've interpretted it correctly, djr33.

12. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    they cant do anything for a number of reasons... one it isnt neccessarily my phone (couldve used a friends or smthng). i didnt sign anything. and on top of all this, i am a minor. i couldnt sign smthng like that even if i wanted to...

i think i am right... correct me if not tho...

13. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    I'm awaiting my final e-mail right now :D

14. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    You're wrong because you weren't supposed to sign up as a minor. The phone number CAN be directly charged, and signing up online is the same as signing a contract in person.

15. Chris_F

Chris_F Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2003
    DMPjedi, how long have you been waiting?

16. GeneralSkywalker

GeneralSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2002
    Who cares? Just back up your site before the 3 yrs end and if you wanna pay, go ahead and if not, you wont have that site anymore, but you'll have a backup on your own pc for use with a diff. web host.

17. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    I got it now. It says you get it within a half an hour. I got it though :D I'm checking it out now.

18. RayOfAsh

RayOfAsh Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2004
    What would the point be? It doesnt come with a domain name, and i can just use www.freewebs.com .

19. ThePaladin

Jan 2, 2004
    www.freewebs.com is really slow, only has one tenth of the bandwidth, and one fifth of the storage space. Plus, to get a domain with 1and1 only costs 6 bucks, or you can get their standard domain free. AND I hate freewebs, and so will anyone with a semi fast connection, since it transfers at only 5 kils a second, and 1and1 transfers up to like a hundred. TRUST ME, 1and1 is better...

20. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    more space, more bandwidth, more hassle [face_plain] thats what i can see... as i said above, i signed up, just so that i can use it if i feel like it later... but thats it i guess...

21. ThePaladin

Jan 2, 2004
    I can say that from personal experience, Freewebs is the easy way to go. It still isn't worth it.

22. Chris_F

Chris_F Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2003
    Ok, this sucks. I never got the email.

23. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Haha, remember when I said this was easy....

Yeah, not so much.

Edit: I suppose I should clarify for the sake of those that may be able to help me.

I have my 1&1, I have SmartFTP. I uploaded my file using SmartFTP to my 1&1 account. From the SmartFTP window I can access the file with no problem. But if I attempt to link the file, i.e. here, it gives an error page and says it doesn't exist. Needless to say, this is not an effective way to show my file. I know there are some web gurus out there who can help me and I would be much abliged to you if you did. Thank you.

24. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Waiting for my email now too :) The phone with teh PIN hung up on me the first time though :(

25. GeneralSkywalker

GeneralSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2002
    I have it, use it for the site in my sig and have never had any problems uploading, downloading, or anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.