main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oola's headpiece and outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Zam-the-Assasin, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    Ok, I have been searching through the past threads for something on this for about 2 hours and nothing.
    I am looking for any ideas or pictures of Oola's barely-there ;) costume. I want to know if anyone has any good pics of how they made this, and any ideas on how to make the headpiece (i.e. her "worms"). If anyone else is interested in making this costume, please Pm me!

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    her 'worms' are called 'Lekku' and are made of latex. If at all possible I suggest you find someone in your area that can make the headpeice for you since the equipment gets expensive FAST.

3. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    I never found any real good pics of her costume. The visual dictionary and the action figure aren't too bad for references. It is made of a netting, farely large holes in it.

4. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    Hmmm...looks like I am going to be doing a lot more research than I thought.......I actually just found a really good close-up of her costume on the force.net, so maybe I can just go from there.
    I was thinking of just buying lots and lots of fishnet material and a black string bikini to wear underneath of it.
    Does anyone know where you can get a good price on latex and body paint>?
    Also, what about stuffing them (the worms, oh.... I mean Lekku)? I am thinking about making her headpiece out of sculpey, since it is working so well for my Slave Leia costume. Anyone else have any thoughts to this?

5. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Batting would be best to stuff it, very lightweight.

6. Admiral_Daala

Admiral_Daala Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2000
    When i made the Oola costume the best pictures I found are on the two CDs that came out... what were they called, something like Behind the Magic? anywho... everything you need is on there. They have close up shots of her head, back shots, side shots, everything! I bought the netting just like her outfit at a military surplus store. I also used real leather for her underwear,leg ties, chin strap, headband, and shoes.
    For her lekku i stuffed pantyhose and by using a thread and needle started to "sculpt" them into the right shape. Then i covered them in a thin layer of latex.
    I wish i had pics of my newly redone lekku, they look better than my first try!

Brandi

7. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    Thanks so much! I think I am going to be making a trip to my local Army Surplus store in the next few days! I wish I could see pictures of your costume!!! :D
    BTW, Does anyone know where to find a good deal on liquid latex? ?[face_plain]

8. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    At the AOTC premiere in Stockholm, Sweden, I saw a woman with a Twi'lek headpiece made from red leather (or a leathery material).
    She had made a leather band that covered her forehead and each lekku was tied so that it
    went forward instead of down her back. (better balance then I guess).
    I never had a chance to talk to her about her costume because she was constantly being interviewed by reporters from a local TV station and newspapers.

9. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    Man LoL! She must have put a lot of care and time into that, kudos to her, I wish I could have seen her! ;)

10. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I found a bad photo of the Swedish Twi'Lek
    at the Swedish news site
    Aftonbladet

11. Motman241

Motman241 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    Don't try to wear underwear - wear a green body suit, and put on matching green body paint. That way, you'll look naked under the netting, but actually, you aren't.
    - Tom

12. tinkerwench

tinkerwench Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    Great idea Mot!

I've seen that done several time at Star Trek conventions for Orion Slave girls.

Zam - you and I need to get together - cause it we can get your costume right - I'm doing one too!

And I forgot to tell you at our meeting - I know of some places to get the spray latex and other materials we might use.

13. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    OMG-I have been wanting to do this one also! Let me knwo how yours are going and all of the details!

14. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    For Oola's shoes-check out Hermes brand dance sandals-they can be dyed with leather dye. They are in dance and bellydance websites.

15. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    tinkerwench,
    could you pm me where you're getting your spray latex and other supplies? i know someone who is doing a twi-lek...
    thanks!

16. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
  17. tinkerwench

May 29, 2002
    Well - the only place I know of is a Louisville Ky Novelty supply house that sells thaetrical make-up. Haven't doen a costume needing it in years. The place is called Caufields.

Check with your local theatre and find out where they get their make up supplies. Even the local High School Drama coach may be able to help.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  18. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    Hey Tink, I totally forgot about Caulfields!!! Great Idea!!!! I am almost done with my leia slave, so I am ready to tackle my next project, which of course is Oola, my hero :)
    I think we definitely need to get together and work on our costumes, 2 heads are always better then one ;)

19. Sauja-Dupen

Sauja-Dupen Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 1999
    I thought I read somewhere that Admiral Daala used latex caulking (any hardware store) and spread it on with an old (no longer used) credit or bank card.

Worth a try.

Sauja

20. tinkerwench

May 29, 2002
    Just found a site that possibly has a make up that will work for this costume.
    Haven't tried it but it looks promising.

http://www.skinillustrator.com/pages/main.html

21. Admiral_Daala

Admiral_Daala Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2000
    yep! i used latex caulking. It worked like a charm, and talk about the right price :)

22. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    Hey Tink, when do you want to get together and go "costume" shopping? I think a trip to the hardware store might be in order heehee :D

23. tinkerwench

May 29, 2002
    We'll set a date at the meeting!
    I'm begining the serious work on Mon Mothma so she'll be ready for my presentation workshop for the Convention!

24. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    Awesome! Send me a pic when you are done, Im kinda curious as to how it turns out! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.