main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT OOT Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MOC Vober Dand, Jul 2, 2015.

1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    In response to correspondence regarding the old Disney OOT Rumour thread, this thread is an opportunity for fans of the OOT in particular to discuss those versions of the films and the prospects for their re-release. This thread isn't intended to be a SE v OOT thread or a CGI v practical effects thread. If you wish to discuss these types of issues, please post elsewhere.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Well, to start off, I thought I'd post these two scenes: the Mos Eisley scene and the Cantina scene. Since these two are some of the most heavily/notoriously changed sequences in the film, let alone the trilogy, I thought it might be fun to watch for anyone who hasn't seen the original versions in a while.

3. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Last year for May 4th the local cinema played all of the saga films. The thing that struck me most about SW/ANH was the distinctly desolate and starved atmosphere of the film. It was particularly evident on the big screen, but there's a sense of it even in those clips. Regarding the Han/Greedo scene, I love the tempo and rhythm of it in this version.

4. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    The sparseness is something I've always loved about this movie, but have definitely come to appreciate more over the past few years. In the Thread That Shall Not Be Named I mentioned that an essential quality of the OOT is its use of restraint, and that what we're not shown matters just as much as what we are shown. It allows us to populate all the corners of the universe we don't see with our own ideas and interpretations, and I suspect this quality has played a huge role in allowing the film (and the series) to excite the imaginations of so many kids (and adults) upon first release and over the decades.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The OOT. Where SW all began.
    Wingreen's Boba Fett voice. So awesome sounding.
    Lapti Nek. Fits Jabba's Palace.
    Shaw Anakin.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Good to see this thread. It'll be nice to talk OOT without all the niggling. :)

I enjoy the sparseness of SW but never felt it had a 'starved' quality much more all 'realistic' 'livable' 'worn' quality. I enjoy wear, I enjoy age, I enjoy some grit. :)

7. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I just really like the frontier feeling that the locations in the OT have. The two most developed places we see are Mos Eisley, which is a dusty, seedy little spaceport on a backwater planet in the middle of nowhere, and Cloud City, a pleasant little (gas) mining city which looks idyllic on the surface but the inner workings resemble a descent into hell. The western influence is really evident in those two locations, and it's something I hope to see carried over into The Force Awakens and the rest of the sequel trilogy. I suspect it will be, given Abrams acknowledgment that "Star Wars is a western" at Celebration this year.

8. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    I prefer the OOT but I have never gotten angry at the SE like some people. Well I did like the title change to the first SW movie and even then ANH was never called a ''special edition''.

9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    The title "A New Hope" I've never really taken to, for whatever reason, but I'll frequently use it for the sake of convenience, so I don't encounter problems such as:
    "Do you remember in Star Wars when..?"
    "Star Wars? Which one?"
    "The first one."
    "Oh, the one with Jar-Jar?"
    "No, the other first one."
    I don't hate it or anything, like it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if they released the OOT and it was there (it was on the VHS tapes I grew up with, so I'm definitely accustomed to it), but I just don't find it to be a particularly interesting title.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015

Personally I could not have thought of a better sub title for the film given it's place in the saga but whatever.

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

Yep...and it was that sense that set it apart from other 'sci-fi'. There's a real sense that...everybody's struggling, trying to turn a trick - where other 'sci-fi' of the time tended to suggest that with technology there comes an enhancement to lives, everything remains shiny, new; here in the Star Wars universe that technology is treated with the disdain that technologies actually are treated with. They are common-place, taken for granted - as if held together with duct tape and home-made repairs.

There's an atmosphere of oppression? Definitely lawlessness, struggle. A sense of place and circumstance that's actually quite difficult to define. Its been a while since I've watched and..I'd forgotten how fundamentally atmospheric the setting is.

12. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    As a lover of all official versions of the films , I think I have to post at least once here.
    For the UOT scenes that stay the most out for me and are pretty nostalgic:
    Han vs Greedo ,
    Battle of Yavin,
    Wampa Cave ,
    The Emperor hologram scene,
    Lapti Nek ,
    Yub Nub

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I remember watching the original Battle of Yavin sequence a while ago...and it was great! Better than I remembered, in fact. It was like I was watching *gasp* Star Wars again!

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I have actively taken to call the first film TSW--The Star Wars, the original title. ANH was added later as was the whole IV bit. I tend to prefer originals. Often times tweaks and changes change the whole context which I dislike. I think limitations should be honoured and enhance the film. Not everything must keep up with the Jones' and it's not a crime TSW and OOT look old, they are far as films go and they hold up fine. :)

15. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Lapti Nek!

Yub Nub (with Shaw as Anakin)

16. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014
    Vader and the Emperor from 1980.

Vader vs Luke 1983 style.

17. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Lapti Nek never fails to amuse me. The dishevelled song and performance perfectly match the seedy mish-mash of a venue.

Beautiful visual symmetry with Shaw there in the ghost scene.

18. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    The whole Lapti Nek sequence is weird as hell, but I've always enjoyed it because as you said, it matches the creepy, seedy vibe of the rest of Jabba's Palace. The wailing sound that plays towards the end of the song is just really unsettling.

I watch the Luke/Vader fight form Return of the Jedi often, usually when I need a break from studying. It's my favorite sequence in the entire saga, let alone the trilogy. Every moment is note perfect, and when Luke screams in protest to Vader's threat of turning Leia and starts flailing around his lightsaber in wild abandon, it's chill inducing.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I really do prefer these scenes and all others untapered with. Okay, so it may date it to some, Cushy doesn't mind. Prefer authenticity to modernisation. Less clutter and business is good. :)

only one kenobi likes this.
  20. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014
    Does anyone remember this preview from the VHS?

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Love it lovelikewinter!

Also love The Adventures of Luke Skywalker!

22. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    This right here is what gets my blood pumping, from the 1995 VHS tapes. Here's to hoping that "One last time" turns into "Well, maybe one more time" in the near or not-too-distant future.

23. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    The original Emperor scene is actually really creepy. I was actually quite scared during some parts of SW as a kid. There was a fair dose of menace involved.

24. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    The scene has a really nice vibe to it, and it lets the Emperor come across as creepy and powerful while still being understated and remaining a shadowy figure until his full reveal in Return of the Jedi.

25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    "Yub Nub" is a bit weird, but in a Star Wars-y way. In fact, now that I think about it, it brings to mind the parade at the end of TPM. A bit folksy and definitely otherworldly. It may not be what we would've chosen to celebrate a monumental victory here on Earth, but in Star Wars, it fits.
    It also ties in with the sort of seventies feeling that ANH has - as does the disco beat of "Lapti Nek" ;)

I like this thread, BTW! It has a positive vibe. Give in to the power of love! [face_love]

PymParticles , TX-20, Sarge and 2 others like this.