main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT OOT Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MOC Vober Dand, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Wow! Impressive list. Many of those are my favorite films of all time, including the first 7 you listed. Citizen Kane and Casablanca are amazing films. Sweet collection!
    Although I have a large film collection (VHS, DVD, BD), unfortunately no LD, since my family didn't own a player back in the day, I never purchased any.
    I watched LD at my buddy's place and his collection consisted primarily of films directed by Martin Scorsese and films starring Robert DeNiro or Al Pacino, so we watched The Godfather, Taxi Driver, Scarface etc...We also watched The Shining a lot too. Stanley Kubrick is my favorite director. I have purchased all of his work on DVD and/or BD including Fear and Desire on BD. Dr. Strangelove is a masterpiece!
    I've never seen the OOT on LD. Just have my old tapes and 2006 DVDs of ANH and TESB. I didn't buy ROTJ because I was dissapointed with the quality of the transfers.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Yes, I also had TAXI DRIVER and GOODFELLAS on LD. For some reason, I didn’t get around to seeing RAGING BULL until after I bought a DVD player, though. I also had quite a few Hitchcock films on LD (most of which, unfortunately, were very badly faded, such as REAR WINDOW and VERTIGO, but fortunately, they underwent proper restorations for their DVD releases). I believe I had THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, as well, but I didn’t purchase LAWRENCE OF ARABIA until DVD.

I have quite a few Kubrick films on Blu-ray, including 2001, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, THE SHINING, and EYES WIDE SHUT (which I think is an underrated masterpiece). The only films of his I don’t own on either Blu-ray or DVD are FEAR AND DESIRE and KILLER’S KISS…and of those, the only one I’ve never seen is FEAR AND DESIRE.

For me, the biggest loss from the LaserDisc era was the beautiful cover art. For some reason, they just don’t know how to do cover art any more. Look at these beauties:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now look at this hideous nonsense:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Yeah, I miss all of the beautiful cover art. I collect vinyl as well, not only for the superior sound quality of new records and older ones that have been cared for, but also for the art.
    Hitchcock films (in his prime), River Kwai, Arabia, all of them, masterpieces for sure. They get better with repeated viewings.
    EWS is, indeed, an underrated masterpiece, as is The Killing and Barry Lyndon. The latter is one of the most beautifully shot films in cinema history, imho.
    TESB is right up there at the top, as well. Would love a BD of that masterpiece. OOT version.

MOC Yak Face, darklordoftech and Kuro like this.
  4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I can see it from both sides. I grew up watching the OOT and it's still my ideal representation of the series. Scenes like Jedi Rocks, (while I think the song is actually very catchy!) take me out of the film at times. Because I stop and think these are meant to be films made in 1977, 1980 and 1983. CGI additions go against that. But at the same time, the special edition has unified the franchise together and expanded the universe. The special editions were necessary for films like TFA to exist, quite frankly. But simply releasing the OOT on Blu-ray would go a long way in silencing/pleasing some of the special edition detractors I think.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

I've just started to get into vinyl again. Whilst not the primary reason for doing so, I must admit that I sometimes just sit there in the living room looking at, rather than listening to, the records.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  6. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Exactly. Although I've listened to The Beatles Revolver album on tape or cd for over 20 years, it was only after buying the vinyl last summer that I could fully appreciate how unique and intricate Klaus Voormann's cover design is, and how beautiful.
    It looks especially appropriate while listening to Harrison's "Love You To" or Lennon's "Tomorrow Never Knows."

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  7. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Absolutely! Revolver is such a great album. I don't have it on vinyl but I did pick up Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Rd. recently.

8. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Fab choices! I've got Sgt. Pepper as well. I bet Abbey Road sounds stellar on vinyl, no? It features the best recording technology and production value available to The Beatles before they split up in 1969.
    I'd like to add Abbey Road, Rubber Soul and The Beatles (white album) to my collection.
    Those are (including Revolver), arguably, their 5 greatest records. Arguably...
    :)

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  9. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    You'll get no argument from me on that top 5! Abbey Rd. sounds grand. The medley side has really grown on me over the years. The White Album is probably my favourite. Not as unified sounding as some of the others, but wonderfully weird!

10. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Agreed. The Abbey medley is one of a kind. Poignant, fun, and memorable music there. Macca took charge on that suite and it is grand indeed. John's contributions are rad too. George's 2 songs on AR are among his best compositions ever! What a sweet swan song for the band, overall.

The Beatles White Album is truly my desert island Beatles record, because there is so much diversity and so many genres represented, so many highs and lows, and so much great musicianship and songwriting. I cherish that album and it has always been my fav or in my top 3 Beatles records.
    Plus I get 4 sides to bring to the desert, since it only counts as 1 album and it is, indeed, wonderfully weird.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  11. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I friggin' LOVE that a thread about the OOT got derailed to The Beatles! Abbey Road is my number one, I just love everything about it. It's a very warm record where the fab four say goodbye like true rock gods. The guitars sound amazing too, such great composition and execution. They say goodbye with poignant solos and the best message about love, only to be followed by a quirky, funny acoustic hidden track by Paul, noting that these guys could go deep and emotional, but in the end didn't take themselves too seriously.

That said, in the past few years the album I've played more frequently is Rubber Soul. Lovely, round record. Just love the sound of it, everything about that record is spot on and to the point. There's no fat in it. Pop at its finest.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Mos Eislely Spaceport: A desolate spaceport on a desolate planet. Fitting.

Poe loves Rey and Sarge like this.
  13. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    All thriller. No filler! Much like Revolver in that respect.

Sorry OOT fans and mods for derailing the thread that I started...

14. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I hope this is happening. I have not bothered to even touch the blu ray editions and won't until they offer remastered OOT options. I don't mind color correction and cleaning up of things, but found it insane that, unlike literally every other movie out there with a special edition/director's cut, the OT didn't come out with a decent release that included both versions of the film on it.

Twain, MOC Yak Face, TX-20 and 2 others like this.
  15. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    With any luck the success of TFA will whet people's appetite for old school Star Wars and Disney will deliver. Fingers crossed...

16. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Some of the SE changes are ok, but others are really bad.

ANH SE

- Jabba in ANH is terrible and really hurts the Jabba reveal in ROTJ... he also looks nothing like Jabba in ROTJ. The Jabba scene also really kind of ruins Jabba's character... I mean Han's so afraid of him he steps on his tail? Sigh.......

- Greedo shooting at all is just stupid

- Some of the mos Eisley added scenery is tonally inconsistent with the rest of the film (although it doesn't bother me too much... could live with it)

TESB SE is fine for the most part

- the recycled footage of vader landing in his shuttle is just stupid... it adds nothing to the film and hurts the pacing of the last act (not a huge issue though)

- I think the new dialogue between the emperor and vader is also worse and requires the audience to make some assumptions to even make sense (again not a huge issue, but a bit more annoying)

ROTJ SE

- Jedi Rocks is awful... just completely unacceptably awful. Out of place, takes you out of the film and is just obnoxious

- By far the worst change of all is adding the NOO,,, NOOOO for Vader. It's completely un-necessary, insulting to the audience, disrespectful to prowse, violates the basic rules of filmmaking (show dont tell) and lessens what many consider the finest scene in the entire saga

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Unlike the darkened, blue-tinted SEs, the color timing in the OOT makes sense and fits the movies. Tatooine feels like a desert, Hoth feels snowy, Dagobah feels swampy, etc.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The songs Lapti Nek and Yub Nub with credits is on I-tunes under Star Wars: the Ultimate Digital collection!
    Downside is that you have to buy the whole album to get those songs and that album is $50.
    The PT tracks are all there but the OT tracks are pretty butchered.

MOC Yak Face and Dagobahsystem like this.
  19. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Thank you for the helpful info Force Smuggler
    I appreciate it.
    I like those pieces. Too bad I can't buy them individually, since I already have a great vinyl/cd collection of SW music. I'll check spotify...

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    When I saw that the pre-order included those two songs, I couldn't believe it.
    But when I checked that final selection, they were there. It was great listening to them.
    So disappointing that we have to buy the whole bloody album to get them. Why? Why? Why!?!?!?!?!?!
    That's going to waste like 3 paychecks, getting gift cards for 2 songs.
    Spotify it is then.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  21. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016

I read somewhere though that 21st century Fox owns the rights to ANH in perpetuity so that could be a possible stumbling block to a re-release ? hope not.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In that case, Disney wouldn't be able to release the SEs either. Also, Fox looses the other 5 films in 2020, and Fox can't do anything with the rights against Disney's will, so Disney can say, "We'll never let you release ANH, so you might as well sell it to us."

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Dagobahsystem Lapti Nek and Yub Nub are on iTunes.
    Look up Lapti Nek or Star Wars E6 ROTJ original soundtrack released 2004 (in the info) with the blue lightsaber with a starry backdrop as the cover.

24. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    I like that a SW discussion morphed into a Beatles discussion. You will find that there is a lot of crossover between SW fans, and fans of the Fab 4, Floyd, the Stones, Led and other classic bands from right before SW's release.

Thank you all for this thread. It means a lot to me to revive the OOT and to present them to the new generation. It hurts when I read comments that say they've only seen the SEs, and didn't even know the SEs were SEs. These people need to see the movies that changed the world, not the altered mishmashed 90s versions. The SEs are as relegated to the 90s as Saved By the Bell or Seinfeld. The OOT, however, is timeless and supersedes any time period.

For example... ESB is 35 years old now. 35!! Now, compare movies from 1945 (35 years before 1980) to 1980 movies. Then compare ESB to today's movies. It's unreal how much it holds up compared to 1945-1980.

We just have to keep trying to raise OOT awareness, I'm sick of dealing with SE clips in every youtube review or screening. Those aren't the real SW.

I can't find anywhere that streams Harmy's editions, but this channel: http://www.dailymotion.com/papagiannakis_iosif has SW and the ESB streaming, for what it's worth.

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The SEs have make everything look cold and digital. In the OOT things look warm and natural.

Poe loves Rey, Sarge, TX-20 and 2 others like this.