main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Opening Ceremonies ... The Empire Strikes Boring

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by snowtrooper2, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    The situation was made worse by the fact that the MAYOR of L.A. was in the building. When high-ranking government figures are speaking at a venue were officials believe there to be a threat, things will be all the more confusing. As I said before, considering the circumstances, I believe that the event went rather well. Was it great? No. But things could have been much worse. Again, everyone I encountered had been very positive about the whole affair. We are fortunate that it was only a scare.

the point is that it wasn't a threat as if it was, the mayor and all the "important people" would've had to leave as well. the fact that we were told everyone would be exiting the building (this means you as well) was told to quite everyone down who was asking what was going on when there were all the empty seats still open.

if you can't understand what I was writing about as there seems to be confusion on your part, them you should read the tread on the opening ceremonies where more than a few people had things to say. I highly doubt that any of the people you encountered who were just jolly happy about what was going on and how it was handled were waiting 2 hours and were involved in the pooch screw of planning and aftermath of what happened that night. so a little honesty would be nice.

here's a question for you that you will not have an answer to: why do you insist on making excuses for what happened that night when they didn't even happen to you? you weren't there where everything was happening so you have no right to say what's what.

part of the point of these threads is to vent if needed and get it out. being that we live in a free counrty still, you have the right to voice ones thoughts, opinions, and better yet true experiences. to somehow suggest that it wasn't a big deal or to excuse the behavior of gen con when you weren't even there seems insulting to say the least.

your apology for what happened on the part of gen con or the cops is irrelevant and doesn't change what happened. not sure where that gets lost in translation. who was there that night, all the planning you did, etc. is again irrelevant as what does that have to do with the staff and how they handled everything? i'll tell you...it doesn't. this isn't about you and all the things you did to plan for the night or how you performed that night, as it never was. I was not attacking you personally in my last post as well. I was merely making the point that before you make the comments you did when you weren't even there, well to put it buntly...you don't get to.

i'm sure you had a wonderful time doing your thing inside but alot of people got screwed outside. you're right let's not make this personal as it never was. I just think it's funny that you don't hear all the people who had issues with the event come down on the people who insist it was the greatest thing ever. you don't hear us saying "come on now, you know you had a bad time just admit it." BUT YOU DO HEAR IT the other way and that's wrong and insulting. to tell poeple that what they experienced is just a bunch of complaining is just wrong and it comes from one side only. again not cool.

2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    You seem to want to start a flame war, but neither ValedaKor or I care to deal with it. It seems that you have been picking little fights in various threads. o_O

Look, I made a post days ago simply stating my opinion that opening ceremonies were not that bad and were well received by people I came in contact with. No one cared, no one replied, everyone continued on fine. Then you come along and want to complain (which is your right), but insist on attacking my point of view.

I never thought I would have to apologize for trying to stay positive about a convention, fandom, and series I love. :oops:

I'm sorry you and your stroller missed opening ceremonies. Had I known, I would have saved you a piece of cake. ;)

[face_peace]

3. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    wow! obviously you have no idea of anything I said. you must still be wrapped up in you as that's all i've had to read from you here. it's everything you you you.:oops:

I don't even have a stroller nor a small child. if you would've read what was said rather than get your butt hurt over nothing more than a viepoint, (sorry it's not your fantasy pefect convention world and it's nothing to do with you personally), you'd see part of what happen was to us and part was viewed by us (and several hundred others).[face_frustrated]

no flame war here...just voicing what happened. can't believe I have to watch what I say as it may offend. sad part is it had nothing to do with YOU, so stop making it so.

i'm sorry you can't handle any other version of what happened but really...whose attacking who?
    like I said before, it's amazing how some can say what they want and get away with it and others get **** for their view or experience because it doesn't go with the robot, all is fine, don't say anything bad about anything.

and really...picking little fights? are you serious? my view which was different than yours and a few others is picking fights? where's the tissue? you can't be serious. I in no way want to pick a fight with anyone. are we in grade school here? what's next.."he's looking at me the wrong way"?:_|

I find it hilarous that you don't answer anything that was written by me as you can't. sooooo you spin what is being said and make it out as somehow I personally attack you? because you write something and nobody replies to it and I did more than once somehow makes it i'm picking fights? please...[face_talk_hand]

GOD forbid there be anything other than what you saw...this is a waste of my time and energy. I get it...you're the good little board poster. unbelieveable! i'm done with you as I don't want this to be my last memory of C-IV.8-}

*Need to star it all the way out, hun*

4. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    it's all well and good to see things in a positive viewpoint but it was not the truth for many people, at least regarding the opening ceremonies. I do feel George missed a huge opportunity to show us he does want Star Wars to live forever. and he could have been there..and he should have been there. and that goes for Rick too who promised everyone at CIII that he would be.

If Celebrations are going to be continued in LA, and I've heard they will be, then take advantage of it being in your back yard while the rest of the country have to deep 6 their budgets in order to pay the price of airfare, more expensive hotels and food, just to participate.

it's the very least they could have done.....be there for the opening ceremonies.

and yes, I will keep my name because I do still love the gift he's given.

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The overall impression of the OC was that it was a bit ill planned. It started out great with the band and Sansweet as an ewok, and I really liked the piano arrangements as well. The problem was that it took way too long time to get the cake out to everyone, and you could just sit around and look at the people eating on stage. After that it felt just like commercials for the different stages, and having been there for two days already that felt really lame. I wasn't expecting Lucas or anything, I thought it was nice that he had recorded a message for us, but something more special just for the ones actually attending the OC would have been nice. I loved Typho's video as well, but it felt strange that one of the best things came from a fan, and that they hadn't thought about anything like that themselves.

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    That was sadly only a small handful of the USC band. Sticking up in their defense, it looked as if they only grabbed a small portion of the band and threw the music at them at the last minute (many of them still had their music lanyards in front of them so they could read the music), so it looks like they themsevles didn't have it fully memorized. The USC band, when in full force and full gear, is incredible. The aucoustics for the room were horrendous, and they got a very lame sounding orchestration of the Imperial March.

And why did they use them? USC is 2 miles down the road. ;)

7. Bruno_Fett

Bruno_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    I though they used the band because it was the same one that followed the Star Wars Floats in the Rose Bowl Parade?

8. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    USC is also Papa George's alma mater.

The band that performed in the Rose Bowl parade with the SW floats is from another school ;).

--MissPadme

9. Darth_SeaTown

Darth_SeaTown Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2007
    Is anyone aware if the Opening Ceremonies are posted online in their entirety anywhere? Or at least a large portion of the event? I did a search on YouTube and could only find 1-2 minute snippets.

I know some people will say "not worth it" or "boring", etc. But for those of us that got locked out due to that bogus bomb scare, I'd be interested to see it if it's out there. Thanks.

10. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    I checked YOUTUBE as well, for any C4 related things and came up nada. I think I waited for a month after the Con and tried and finally some things were posted, so I would check back in a month. It was ok, it was nothing to really write home about, kinda felt like a sales pitch!!!

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Grambling State was the Rose Parade band, and they're from Mississippi. (Or Louisiana. Can't remember which) ;)

Truthfully, I suspect they used USC mostly because they're right down the road, even more than the fact that it's George's school. :p

12. Capt-SithPaark

Capt-SithPaark Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    IMO - Bad w/ the Good

Outside of 1) the Stamp Ceremony, 2) The B-Day cake, 3) The Parade of Celebs (more on this later), 4) The Mayor making May 25th 'SW' Day in LA and finally 5) The USC Band

All of which should have happened (and did) anyway -- I did find the Opening Ceremonies to be rather lacking in anything of Quality Ep.4 'ANH'-edness (which is the reason why we were all suppose to be there right???) the 30th Anniversary of 'SW - ANH' right???

Other than Captain_Typho's stunning work (which did bring a tear to my eye) Imagine, a fan-made effort the best part of the Ceremonies ... very much so. This at a GenCon/LucasFilm event - I guess the state of things in a galaxy far, far away (I did constantly overhear ppl speaking very positively of the Typho-Tribute all through-out the weekend) and felt good that I had at least seen/experienced one little bit of something solid

I did feel rather sorry for Mr. Sansweet (at the time) dressed in Ewok costume, w/ much confusion & dead-air surrounding him (not aware during it all of the bomb scare) if that is the reason for the delays

And by the way - The Parade of Celebs -- Whomever they (GenCon/LucasFilm) had as a stage manager for the ceremonies did an absolute poor job in organizing/preparing any type of flow to this ... said section of the Prgm.
    There was NO synch what-so-ever in the actors/actresses coming into view and the voice-over announcing them
    Robert Watts was announced close to 2:00 min before we saw him come out (another amount of time where you could see Sansweet shrinking as he stood there)

I was really disappointed that some of the main body of this series of films (especially 'ANH') and yet, in attendance at C4: Carrie Fisher, Antony Daniels, Ray Park (to name a few) didn't even partake in Friday's opening show
    Whomever was introducing them never announced Kenny Baker but I did hear that he was alledgedly on stage, although couldn't see him and can't find him in any online-posted images??? (no joke there either)

Sorry everyone but it just had no 'ANH' substance to it at all

There was, of course, the expected new game trailers & previews of C4 Prgm's Etc.

In talking to a freelance LA Editor (at a Live to Internet-cast show at the HICC late on Saturday) who had been in touch w/ GenCon (they were apparently very accepting of fan submitted works) who was rather miffed he couldn't get a quality 'ANH' edit put together in time for the Opening Ceremonies as it was sorrily & terribly missed

Funny that the main demographic of ppl - starwoids as you may have it (that this Celebration was for and solely because of) were the one demographic that saw the least in return

ps - If worked in better (w/ said lacking-in-flow) Boba Fett's (w/ Jet back pack) appearance would have greatly added to the Prgm.

check it out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_gKzqbUccg

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The opening ceremonies could have been better, I agree, but I wasn't completely dissapointed by it. The "schedule sampler" rundowns might seem a tad redundant at first glimpse, but for many people, it might be their only chance to get a taste of what some panels and shows are like, since things are always scheduled in an overlapping, it's very likely a lot of people didn't get a chance to see a lot of shows, and so the OC rundown gives them at least some of that (hell, I've been to all 4 Celebrations, and I only FINALLY managed to catch both "One-Man Star Wars Trilogy" and "Star Wars in 30 Minutes" at Celebration IV- and not until the last "extra day" of the Con on Monday, despite both shows being at previous Celebrations- they were always scheduled against other things I wanted to see more.

Now, the whole stamp ceremony shoulda been shorter, but it seems like the USPS was a big sponsor of the Con so they had to pimp their stuff.

Also, I wasn't aware of the bomb scare thing until about an hour after the OC ended, so that didn't affect my perception of things.

As for the Celeb line-up, I think a lot of the problems people have result basicly from the scheduling of the event to coincide with the exact 30th Anniversary date of May 25th. By having the con on Memorial Day Weekend, a lot of people, celebs included, are gonna be out of town either on personal or buisness trips. Likewise Lucas, Mccallum & Hamill's Indy schedules also conflicted. If this had been held in late April or early May like the last three Celebrations, I think we would have had a much better turnout in terms of line-up. However, I am surprised Lucas didn't arrange some kind of video hook-up live.

But, all in all, most of what happened at the OCs isn't much different from what happened at the last OC at C3. They replaced the lightsaber duel with the rocket man, and thats about it. It did lack a "big premiere" like the music videos at past Celebrations- partially the fault of them wanting to save the Clone Wars trailer for the Clone Wars panel on Sunday. Though even that was filled in by the Family Guy SW trailer and In Memorianum.

14. ROTS_fanatic

ROTS_fanatic Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqCQuXnAP1Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZSMySia2b4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SNBHZZqG30
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmdYYASBGUo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gL7No6t3rc

15. Bruno_Fett

Bruno_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Grambling State was the Rose Parade band, and they're from Mississippi. (Or Louisiana. Can't remember which)

Truthfully, I suspect they used USC mostly because they're right down the road, even more than the fact that it's George's school.

Thanks for the clarification. Beleive it or not I taped the parade and still have not had the time to sit and watch it to date. So I really was not sure at all, I know they had some video footage and float pieces on display outside the hall. I think it was all part of the whole "see star wars is still alive and kicking" theme. We actually snuck in the back door, so tha band was no real surprise to us we walked by them on the loading docks. Ther was only one USC bus there so I am sure it was a very scaled down band.

Good points about the rest of the opening ceremony, it did sort of drag. Maybe that was because of the fact I had already been up for over 48 straight hours at that point. Most of my group left early, after sansweet said "our final host" that was our cue to beat the crowd. Later that evening when our one friend, who did stay, started talking about how Boba Fett flew in after we left, we all thought he was ***tting us.

16. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    On a side note, from what I've heard Steve Sansweet was pretty ill that day and wasn't even sure if he was going to make it in to do opening ceremonies, and then he had to put on that Ewok suit....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.