main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Opening Crawl *movie* + Notes

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Eamon, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eamon

Eamon Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2002
    Hello again to all.

I am working on the "opening crawl" effect. Which as I see from the forum is something allot of people are struggling with. So first let me say that the best thing is to never give up and try... try... again. Nothing will replace "hard work" when it comes to making something. You will almost never find a magical quick fixes for whatever you are working on and almost no one will do things for you. *steps off the soap box*

Here is the effect I created in Lightwave 3D and After Effects. Please tell me what you think of it. (keep in mind that I already know that the star wars logo is not "see through" in the movies and that the 3D models in the end of the clip leave much to be desired)

(Right Click and Save As) 9.24MB Quicktime (no sound yet sorry)

The effect was a combination of 3D text and star field composite...

1. Created a JPEG file of my Text (25 lines including space lines, justified, and yellow text on black background)
    2. Mapped the JPEG as a texture onto a flat polygon in lightwave 3D and lit the scene
    3. Set up my 3D camera to look at a downward angle to the text and moved the text away from the camera. (on a black background)
    *NOTE* just having after effects change the perspective of your flat text will not give you the proper look (I tried for days)
    3. Created a flat star field complete with planet/moon that was taller than the frame of my animation (for the pan/scan effect)
    4. Screened the 3D crawl onto the star field and after it was finished I just moved the background upward (with a motion blur)
    5. Through in some space ships flying at the end just for fun (or because it is part of the plot in my fan film)

Anyway I know this is not a full tutorial on how I did this but I just wanted to give all of you an idea of how it worked for me. If you would like more information on this effect send me an email at sith@theblood.net or PM me (E-mail is faster)

-Eamon

2. Manger

Manger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    It needs easy ease in the pan down at the end..
    Also the "STAR WARS" logo is going to slow at the beginning and to fast at the end (needs ..., cant remember the option name in ae)

and of course, the fonts of the letters :p

edit, ah also the "a long time ago" needs fade in and out

3. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Not bad, you are making some progress there.
    One problem is that the Title moves away far too slowly. It sort of holds there for a long time before pulling away. The speed in the films never really changes. Just reference them.

The way you did it sounds pretty good, although probably more complicated than it had to be.
    Basically the speed is a little off all around. Just make some adjustments to how the crawl fades away, smooth out the end of your pan down so that it doesn't suddenly stop, and get some better matching fonts and it will be okay I think.

"*NOTE* just having after effects change the perspective of your flat text will not give you the proper look (I tried for days)"

Actually that is not true. Check out the tutorial here.
    http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Films/b10015/20453818

-Brad

EDIT: Yeah, what he said ^^^

4. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    I agree about After Effects. I've gotten the crawl working perfectly in AE, I don't use LW for it at all.

5. Eamon

Dec 11, 2002
    Thanks for your impute... I see what you mean about After Effects now (how could I have missed that...)

I will work on the "easy ease" of the texts... and maybe change the fonts [face_shhh]

And I take it back... if you would like more information on this effect ask Darth_Brad03 :p

And like I said before I will try... try again...

-Eamon

6. Eamon

Dec 11, 2002
    Try #86...

1. Changed out all the fonts.
    2. Tried to make the text fade/move better.
    3. Pan/scan effect improved. (I think)

Comments?

Right Click and Save As
    8.35MB Quicktime (no sound still)

-Eamon

7. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Much improved, man. Like night and day.
    One thing to look at on the films is that the title actually appears on the screen and holds briefly. Nothing as long as your original version but it does have a few frames long pause. It seems just a little too fast right now, but you will be able to see what I mean by watching the films.

I would also smooth out the start of the pan down...but the end of it looks good.
    Very nice changes. The fonts look nice and the fade out of the crawl is dead on.

8. Eamon

Dec 11, 2002
    Thanks. I will still work at it untill (I fall out from lack of sleep)

[face_dancing]

-Eamon

9. Neothehacker

Neothehacker Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2004
    Yeah, it's improved, but the "star wars" text should carry on going up, and it goes away too soon. Also, there should be an "Episode *insert number here*, *insert title here*

10. Eamon

Dec 11, 2002
    Well unfortunately I don't have an Episode # as this is a one part fan film and I think making up an episode # will take away from the film (as such)... (and it is hard enough to make just a one part fan film):D

-Eamon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.