main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Opening crawl?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by jedi_derek, Aug 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_derek

jedi_derek Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    how can i get an opening crawl using adobe premier?

2. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Go down to the corner of 5th and Main ....

Ask for a guy named "Louie" ....

Slip him a c-note and he'll give you an Opening Crawl. :p

I am not sure if you CAN create an Opening Crawl in Premiere.
    However, since I have never tried it, I could be mistaken. ;)

3. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    ok, what you do is, is you tell Premiere that you want an opening crawl. then it will ask you what you will want it to say. you tell it and it says ok. so then you wait 1 hour and it is finished! ;) ;)

4. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    ... or ...

You could always download Blender for free from BlenderWars, then use this tutorial from right here on TFN to make your crawl.

All for free. :)

Have fun.

5. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Yeah, there is.

This method isn't great, and it produces black bars at the top and bottom, but it's a way, and you might be able to build off of it to something that works better..

First you need to make a video of your text scrolling up against a blue background - I think this is do-able in premiere, I'm not sure - I made mine in Pinnacle Studio.

After you have this, export it as an avi. Try to compress it as little as possible. Now reload this avi into a brand-new project. Put a picture of some stars on layer 1, and your clip on video 2. On video 2, apply a blue-screen effect.

The second step is to use the "3D Perspective" tool on layer 2 to adjust the pitch.

Now render it out, and you have an opening crawl. This method has a lot of disadvantages, but it works.

6. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    take a posterboard. The kind you find at your local stationary store. 32inches by 24 inches.

You'll need 6 of them.

Paint a wall in your room black.

Now you'll need a yellow/orange light bulb and a blue light bulb.

In the middle of one of the posterboards, cut out the words "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away..."
    Now paint the posterboard black.,
    next, poke a bunch of different size holes in it.

Now take the blue light bulb and put it in something like a small lamp. Place the lamp on the floor against the wall and turn on the light.
    Now place the posterboard with the phrase between the camera and the light. You should have a black background with those words showing in blue. Now using your camcorder, record for a few seconds then hit pause.

Now take the other posterboard and in big giant letters cut out the star wars logo.
    Now paint the board black.
    Replace the blue light with a yellow light. This time you'll have to back way up far away from the light.
    Now have the posterboard really close to the lens of the camera. If you don't have someone there to help you, you may need a tripod. Now hit the record button again (unpause it) and while holding the posterboard square with the camera lens, quickly run away towards the wall.
    BE CAREFUL not to run into the wall and knock over the light.

Ok, here comes the hardest part.

Take the remaining posterboards and tape them together length wise. Using a stencil that you can buy just about anywhere, mark then cut out each letter in the opening crawl that you want to have. Make sure that the lines are even. You can use a ruler or a yard stick to make sure they line up. Also note that in the Star Wars movies, the text is "justified" so you may want to use a pencil until you get the letters spaced correctly.

Now once you have it the way you want, cut out the letters. Now paint it all black.
    Leave the yellow light where it is and this time you may need a tripod.
    You'll also need the help of family and friends.

Every oh, lets say 10 inches or so along both sides of this long chain of posterboard, you'll need to glue something like a coat hanger (wire prefered) across. Make sure it is in between sentences so a black line will not be noticeable.
    Now with people on each side, start recording and slowly start walking it up from beneath the camera (close) towards the top of the wall above where the lamp is. If your bed is nearby, that is a good place to stand. if not, the dinning room chairs may work just as good. Be careful, go slow. Remember it takes forever for it to scroll away.

Now when you are done, import all this into premiere and cut out or edit the areas you want to keep.

Add the music and you are done.

I hope this helps.

7. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    how can i get an opening crawl using adobe premier?

The best way to get an opening crawl using premiere is to offer your premiere license to a friend that knows CG. Premiere's worth, what, $600. I'd make you a crawl for $600. But then, you no longer have an editor to put the crawl into your movie :p

Seriously, though, go the Blender route. It's free and it creates crawls that rival the best.

8. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    I tired to use the blender method, but I couldn't get Blender itself - the website is down and I couldn't find any mirrors on google. :(

9. jedi_derek

jedi_derek Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    how do i exactly tell premeire that i want an opening crawl?

10. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I tired to use the blender method, but I couldn't get Blender itself - the website is down and I couldn't find any mirrors on google.

Check Blender Wars.

11. Plague

Plague Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2002
    Blender is your best bet to go like everyone has been saying its free. Plus it doesnt take that long to learn how to produce that effect. I have been working with blender little over a month about 3 hours a day and I figured out how to do my opening crawl.
    On blender wars website they have a tutorial on how to make your opening crawl so your not just trying to figure out everyone by youself with no help

12. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    "how do i exactly tell premeire that i want an opening crawl?"

He was joking. Premiere doesn't have a crawl making option, actually I don't think its possible to make an opening crawl with premiere alone. You need Blender or another 3app, or adobe after effects.

good luck,

-Kol.

13. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    of course I was joking....

14. FX_guy

FX_guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2002
    Well, just for the record you CAN do "crawling" titles in Premiere, in Premiere-speak they're called "rolling titles", check the manual for that. It's not very easy to use, however - maybe version 6.5 will have better titling options...

However, I presume the original question really was asking "how do I create a Star Wars style opening crawl?" and while that CAN be done, more or less, admittedly it's complicated. Oreckel's method described above should work, and I did a sort-of-official crawl for Pink Five with a combination of Premiere and Photoshop - created the title graphic in Photoshop, then used a combination of the motion and perspective tools to make the crawl in Premiere.

Please note, I wasn't trying to make a 100% "official" looking crawl. For one thing it was only one paragraph long - a longer one would have had a lot of added complications. And since it was intended to be shown on the web, I didn't want the letters to disappear into infinity, because that would make them only readable for a few seconds on screen. I was only going for the "feel" of an SW crawl, and Premiere was good enough for that.

So... it'd be very hard to do the exact SW look with Premiere alone, but you can do an approximation of one. It just depends on just how perfectly you need to recreate the Star Wars style for your project. If you need to get it exactly (and really, you should be SURE you need to! :)) then Premiere probably isn't the way to go.

15. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    Thanks for the link, EagleIFilms. :)

16. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    mpfjr. that sounds like what Lucas did for ANH. At least, I think he did it that way (or very similar).

*Goes to make his own crawl*

17. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    mpfjr. that sounds like what Lucas did for ANH. At least, I think he did it that way (or very similar).

*Goes to make his own crawl*

er, uh.. *sigh*

Nobody understands me :(

-It was a joke.-

18. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Okay, this may sound wierd coming from me ... but I actually kinda feel bad for jedi_derek.

The poor kid was legitimately looking for help to create his Opening Crawl in Premiere, and amongst all our joking with him, be believed that he could actually call Adobe and have them send him an Opening Crawl. Ah, the innocence of youth. ;)

jedi_derek, I hope you now understand that many of us were just joking around with you.
    I hope that some of the other posts, with actual suggestions, have been of help to you. :)

JediTAC
    Self-Appointed TFN Distributor of Guilt :D

19. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, LUcas did something similar... I think... he pasted letters on a bluescreen and ran a camera down it.

And I was talking about making my own in Blender... which is ticking me off right now... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.