main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Opening Scene and Crawl - Ep. VIII to be first SW sequel to pick up where the prior Ep. left off?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Phasma's Armor Polish, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Phasma's Armor Polish

Phasma's Armor Polish Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    What do we think will be the opening scene for the next film then?

I'm going to go with a shot of the First Order invading New Republic territory, maybe a planet.

2. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    I'll go with the reverse. The Rebel Alliance/New Republic armies are invading an unknown planet with a large fleet, Poe is leading the fighters as usual and shouting out orders and formations. Then we go down to the ground forces and see Finn organizing the men and launching an attack. We then cut to the end of the battle and see Kylo Ren surrounded by rebel soldiers, presumably about to surrender when suddenly a figure emerges from an ancient temple in the background.

3. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Sequence 1. (after inciting scroll-up) - Holonet newscast announcing Lando as the new chancellor of the wounded New Galactic Republic. We witness that Lando charm up front. Lando is a bit like FDR and his policy against letting fear hold too much sway during the Depression and WWII. But Lando is a realist and Leia's Resistance movement is their best bet against the First Order. A failed attempt to assassinate Lando played out. But its a mere distraction. As we'll likely see in...

Sequence 2. FO's massive sneak attack on the Mon Cal orbital shipyard and the planet's cities. Think of it as an aquatic Battle Of Hoth, but larger in scope / impact. Poe is now in command of a capital military starship. Finn will lead Republican troops trained for water battles. Kylo Ren's stealthy strike of terrorism leaves the Mon Cal star system in ruins. Poe uses his surviving capital starship to extract Finn and his troops. A rag-tag group of surviving NR spacecraft escape the Mon Cal star system. The NR needs help from Luke and his second generation of students more than ever...

Sequence 3. (after viewing an old holo-message from Han and Leia about Ben Solo's actions from years before) - Luke ends the recording as he senses Rey's accidental eavesdropping. He invites her into the open. Luke's sadness is really felt. But some of his old farmboy demeanor returns as he and Rey talk about her training efforts and progress. But Rey's hatred of Kylo Ren returns Luke to a state of disappointment. Luke tries to demonstrate his own control over intense anger by telling Rey how he handled the death of Rey's mother. There is a thin line between revenge and justice. Another student rushes in and informs Luke about a transmission from Leia and Lando. Leia is sending Poe and Finn to Luke. They need to rally against the FO.

Sequence 4. Kylo Ren and his fellow Knights of Ren receive orders from Snoke. Each Ren member is to follow the NR's scattering Starfleet. Snoke believes one or more of the Mon Cal survivor groups will lead the First Order to Luke's location. Kylo and his fellow Ren are feeling much dark hubris as each departs for the his or her personal hunting mission.

Sequence 5. Poe and Finn arrive at Luke's Jedi Temple and are reunited with Rey. The joyful reunion is halted when Luke informs them that he senses the Ren on the move. A risky counter move is carried out. Jedi Knights trained by Luke will take factions of Republican infantry to key spots to engage the Ren dark side cult andtheir FO allies. Shades of the Clone Wars here...Jedi Knights leading troops...minus the Order 66 betrayal (or so the protagonists think). Luke takes Rey and Finn with him. They board Poe's ship. Luke plans to draw Snoke and / or Kylo out by being loud and proud in the Force. The stakes have never been higher.

Well what do YOU think readers? Think this reads rather likely? Please comment!

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  4. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    It's a little early, but I'll take a guess. :D Although I will probably be wrong. :p

(Three years after Episode VII.)

Scroll fade out: The camera will pan down to show a group of normal First Order Star Destroyers amassed next to a new and much larger First Order Destroyer; a Super Star Destroyer, in orbit over Moriband. Scene cut to control bridge of Super Star Destroyer, where General Hux is preparing for Kylo Ren's arrival from Moriband below. Scene cut to an old Sith Temple on Moriband, where Snoke is formally informing Kylo Ren that he has finished his training. Scene swipe to Luke's Island Planet. Seeing more of the Island, it is revealed that the first Jedi Temple is indeed located on this island. Luke is finishing Rey's Jedi training there.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Now that we have been shown footage from Episode VIII, does the scene mean that... unlike previous installments... no time has elapsed between the closing credits of Episode VII and the opening crawl of Episode VIII?

Or could they be filming what will be part of yet another flashback?

6. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I'm going to say no, if for no other reason than that it'd render the opening crawl redundant. I'm going to say that although the angle on Luke is possibly from the film, Rey's outstretched hand isn't. I think it'll be the shortest time in between episodes though

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My only guess for the opening crawl... if there is no time jump... is that Chewie & Rey's journey to Luke took some time and the crawl will narrate what the other characters were up to during the Falcon's flight. [face_dunno]

8. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    I reckon flashbacks or maybe a prologue (perhaps even before the crawl?) that comes directly after TFA ending but then the rest of the movie is set some time later when Rey has trained, Finn has recovered and the First Order has regrouped and Kylo had another few months of staring at Vader's helmet.

Actually that's a thought... Were Kylo's scenes talking to Vader's helmet on his star destroyer or on starkiller base? If the latter and it got destroyed with the planet then what will he talk to now?

maybe he has other parts of the suit at different locations? Maybe we'll see him talking to a melted one of these?

[​IMG]

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I would actually love to see the movie start with Luke accepting the lightsaber from Rey, and then have them starting to talk. It would be important enough to be shown. And yeah, I agree about the opening crawl; it can talk about other things that have been going on during Rey's trip to find Luke. On the other hand, Chewbacca was with her on that trip, and now his return (at least as being played by Peter Mayhew goes) is up in the air.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it'd be interesting if it does. We really don't know what's happening off screen during TFA so that could have an impact on the story of Episode VIII and be mentioned in the crawl. For example perhaps the First Order followed their attack on Hosnian Prime with an invasion of Republic space or maybe the Republic is mounting a strike in retaliation for the destruction of their capital.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Maybe Snoke used his exceptional long distance power to freeze Luke and Rey in stasis in an attempt to keep her from ever successfully handing the lightsaber to him. :p

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup... frozen for about three months, so that enough other items for the opening crawl can occur in the meantime. :p

13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    That scene in the production preview between Rey and Luke could be to throw us off.

14. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Yes, yes it will be

15. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    I thought that was simply footage from TFA. (The Luke/Rey exchange).

16. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I'm going to just put this out there....We don't know how long it took Rey to get to this unmarked planet. Did it take hours? Days? Months? Years? That is the real question.

TX-20 likes this.
  17. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The opening crawl of Episode VIII will be a Previously On Star Wars clip montage.

Bail B. Baobab and jimtalkbox like this.
  18. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Was the scene at the end of TFA in sunlight like this scene was? I don't recall it being so.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Don't think it was. I noticed that too in this video.

20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Hmm, true. I think it was cloudier, more overcast.

Edit:
    Then again...
    Clouds can be blown out of the way of the sun, too.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  21. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Hoping that after one or two scenes, they'll jump forward a couple of months.

22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Given that the stories always pan down to a space scene after the opening crawl, we may instead be looking at the 2nd scene in the movie.

Gobi-1, Darth_Voider, Dra--- and 9 others like this.
  23. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    You may be joking but I could see it more or less turning out that way. They'll remind us that both Resistance and the First Order have been dealt major losses and the two sides are on now on an even playing field which makes the stakes all the more higher because whoever wins the next big victory will have the upper hand. Meanwhile Rey has located Luke, possibly the Resistance's best chance at holding off the First Order. And then boom! The crawl ends and the camera moves from outer space down to the planet that Luke and Rey are on.

Krueger likes this.
  24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Usually, there would be a focal point to get us down to the planet surface from the space setting where we sit while the opening crawl goes by. This focal point is usually a ship. So I almost wonder if that ship in question could be a First Order ship that has successfully figured out where the Millennium Falcon went, or a probe droid. The touching moment between Luke and Rey would probably need to be over pretty quickly if hiding became necessary.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  25. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I won't be surprised to see an opening crawl detailing what took place BEFORE Rey actually met Luke to hand over that Lightsaber (some form of plot twist at the start of Episode 8)... Because it somehow took Rey, Chewie, and R2-D2 months to reach that isolated planet, since the Hyperdrive in yours truly has malfunctioned, rendering super-fast travel useless!