main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Opening Scene and Crawl - Ep. VIII to be first SW sequel to pick up where the prior Ep. left off?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Phasma's Armor Polish, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
    At least we know that R2 is part of the opening crawl.

2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    R2 is the last Jedi. Just think about all the heroic acts it has done and more than once saved the day. That's the big twist. :D

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  3. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
    And he even keeps Luke's lightsaber inside him! Jedi weapon ...

nightangel likes this.
  4. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I don't recall who said it or where, but I think it got confirmed that there'd be an opening crawl.

But I do suspect they're going to break the tradition of starting the film off with a shot of a ship... I think the very first scene will begin exactly where TFA left off, and Luke will speak the first line.

5. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I highly doubt the crawl will just recap TFA. Too shallow and unprofessional.

Rather, the crawl will describe things that recently happened but that we did NOT directly see in TFA. This could include information about the status of the Republic and/or Resistance after much of its structure was wiped out, what the other remnants of the First Order are doing, new information about Snoke/Kylo/Hux, new character emergences, etc. I have no doubt that it will be great.

6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I wonder if it will try to keep it traditional...

Opening Crawl
    EXT: THE GALACTIC HEAVENS
    Space and the stars frame a blue and green planet, the camera slowly zooms in on the planet, we pass through clouds until we see an island jutting out of a blue ocean.

EXT: AHCH-TO, DAY
    A helicopter shot, the camera circles two people stood on the side of a hill, still at a distance we can just make out one of them is holding out a silver object. The other character is older, bearded and has a grizzled appearance.

EXT: AHCH-TO, DAY
    The camera closes up on the characters, it's Rey holding out Anakin's lightsaber but Luke looks troubled.

Then it get's tricky, do they have some exposition or skip it for now as it would be too revealing to the audience? I can see them cutting to something that is months into the future.

7. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    There's no break with tradition - the next film starts at the next significant point in the story. It's just that the next significant part of the story is 1 second after TFA finished. Ep 2 started when Padme came back into Anakin's life as we didn't need to see Star Wars: The Puberty Years.

It's been discussed at length already on this thread (dug up from the hidden murky depths of page 2 of this very forum):

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...uel-to-pick-up-where-the-prior-ep-left-off.50

8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    While Rey raced to Ach-To we have NO idea what/how the FO regrouped NOR do we know how much time transpired between the SKB blowing up and Rey leaving for Ach-To.

Maybe there is no time at all between TFA and TLJ as Rian suggested. That doesn't mean there wasn't enough time for the FO to do something before the end of the movie. We could open with the FO discovering the location of Luke and Rey and sending ships to go after them.

ANH and ESB: 3 years between
    ESB and ROTJ: 1 year
    TPM and AOTC: 10 years
    AOTC and ROTS: 2-3 years
    ROTS and ANH: 18-20 years
    ANH and ESB: 3 years between
    ESB and ROTJ: 1 year
    ROTJ and TFA: 30-ish years

So one day later would be unique for TFA to TLJ

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

10. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    The crawl can still have a lot to say even with the short time gap between episodes. I imagine the opening shot will be of crawl fading into the stars and then the camera pans down from the stars down to Ahch-To to pick up where Rey and Luke left us in TFA.

11. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I think it will open with Kylo Ren arriving to Snoke's headquarters to complete his training.

My quickly written up guest-imate crawl:

STAR WARS

EPISODE VIII
    THE LAST JEDI

Chaos has engulfed the galaxy. The destruction of the REPUBLIC leadership has allowed the dreaded FIRST ORDER to spread across the galaxy, as thousands of star systems are left to defend themselves against this growing threat.

Aiming to combat this evil, the brave RESISTANCE fighter Rey has traveled to contact Jedi Master LUKE SKYWALKER, the last hope against the agents of evil who seek to destroy him.

Driven to find Luke and end the Jedi once and for all, the dark lord Kylo Ren has arrived to a remote sanctuary in the frontiers of space, seeking to complete his training…

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That's really good! I'd be happy with it.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  13. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    The first scene might involve Kylo Ren meeting up with Snoke or something then cut to Rey and Luke for scene 2.

14. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    Exquisite post, Jedsithor! You really set the mood. I love the idea of tilting down to the Ach-To night sky, it's something immediately different (like the ship coming into orbit following a tilt up in the first AOTC shot was different), but even better and appropriate for this film. If instead they open to an action-packed scene, the film will probably feel like it's dragging when we finally make our way to Luke and Rey.

15. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I always thought that ROTJ started right after (like days or weeks) after ESB.

I imagine the same can be done for TLJ.

It can be done as El_Machete12 has done.

16. DoYouWantToBeASnowman

DoYouWantToBeASnowman Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2016
    The opening crawl could be about the stuff that happened elsewhere during Rey's and Chewbacca's flight, possibly mention the time that passed between when they left the Resistance base, and then it starts without a time skip from the scene on Ahch-To.

17. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah. I think it should cover what's going on with Willrow. Here's my draft:
    STAR WARS
    THE LAST JEDI​
    Years after escaping Bespin, WILLROW HOOD has established a profitable ICE CREAM EMPIRE on the ice world of BENINZHERI.​
    Meanwhile, Rey confronts LUKE SKYWALKER on the Jedi home world of AHCH-TO.​

18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Luke Skywalker has been found.
    Before the wise Jedi Master prepares to battle the dreaded FIRST ORDER,
    he stops off at BURGER KING to bring his hunger under control....

19. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I think it'd be hilarious if the crawl says something like "At last, Luke Skywalker has been found by the Resistance, who had sent his long-lost daughter Rey Skywalker to find him."

CrazyOldJedi and Gigoran Monk like this.
  20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think after Rey and Luke look at each other for a while on Ach-To Rey will ask Luke, "Bro! Do you even lift?" Then Luke will use the Force to lift his old lightsaber out of Rey's hands and he'll say with a satisfied smile, "does that answer your question?"

Vader0706 likes this.
  21. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    does anyone know if right after the crawl it goes to luke and rey? i know that luke and rey begin where we left off, but that doesn't necessarily mean the movie goes to them right after the opening crawl.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  22. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    TFA ends, with Snoke ordering General Hux to bring Kylo Ren to him, so that he can complete his training. So it would seem that they will have to jump ahead, to some point after Luke and Rey's initial encounter from TFA, to keep the continuity of Snoke's training of Kylo.

23. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    We are use to incredible first scenes so it will need to be a lot more exciting than Rey and Luke playing "who talks first" or stare down...

24. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    It won't. People are taking everything they say too literally. Just like with "omg Han Solo isn't his real name?!?". It just means there won't be a timeskip, it could start anywhere though.

oncafar likes this.
  25. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Do we know for sure that it starts immediately where TFA left off?