main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Opening Sequence for Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Jonipoon, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Today I was thinking about the new Rogue One movie, and it suddenly struck me that this movie (and all the other upcoming Anthologies) might not include the familiar opening crawl from the main episodic series. Or will they?

It's a pretty relevant question.

If Disney wants to play safe they'll go for the same opening scroll thats been used before, minus the "Episode" of course and instead putting "Anthology" there. However this might cause some kind of confusion and it will feel more like a Episodic movie rather than a spin-off.

Gareth Edwards might wanna go for a different direction. Alexandre Desplat might wanna score a new kind of opening theme. I'm sure there must be hundreds of ideas pitching over their tables right now.

In my opinion, I think Disney will "play safe". But personally, I feel it would be much more interesting if they were going for something completely different.

Just think about it: Everyone going to watch the movie will expect the familiar opening crawl to show up... and instead, boom! They are blown away by something they did not expect to see. It would be easy to keep the new opening sequence secret without leaking.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  2. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I voted Just like the main films, but without "Episode" in the scroll.
    But I wouldn't mind something different.

ViktorShade likes this.
  3. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015
    I vote for no scrolls, but i wouldn't mind them using those for an anthology or another. On the whole, i think they should try doing stuff that wouldn't be allowed in the main saga.

4. Bosskkkk

Bosskkkk Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 18, 2012
    I would suggest a nice alternative, would be to have the "STAR WARS" and opening crawl in blue as opposed to yellow to differentiate between episodic films and anthology films :)

ViktorShade and Jonipoon like this.
  5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

I'm willing to bet we will not get the opening crawl for the Anthologies-in an effort to differentiate them from the saga. As far as the Anthologies, I bet they will either have no intro-or may even do something more special....

I'd love to see a totally different kind of intro, specific to the anthologies, that we see in each one. That could be cool...

6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think Disney would face a pretty heavy backlash for trying to alter SW too much if they didn't include the scrolls. But they may try to balance it, they can keep the opening scroll in Episodes 7-9, but do away with it for the anthology movies. I think that's the best way to go about it, because ironically, if they did include the scroll in all six films, they would get an equal sort of backlash for sticking to the formula too much and not trying anything different.

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm somewhere in between. On one hand, the Anthology films offer the chance to do something different than what we generally see in a Star Wars film. On the other hand, how different is too different? At a certain point, people might feel it's not Star Wars enough and there could be some backlash because of that, although if it's a good film that backlash would likely be significantly tempered. I vote for different but new. Do the opening crawl, but don't put "Anthology" where you would generally put "Episode __". Just let it stand as "Rogue One" since that's how the official website has been officially referring to the film since the title was first announced. Maybe play a slightly different version of the main Star Wars theme, and have the crawl play out over something other than a star field. I think there's a variety of things they could do to differentiate it without deviating too far away from what people recognize as Star Wars conventions.

8. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015
    What do you guys think would be an epic opening sequence for Rogue One?

1. Civil unrest on an outer rim planet that was brutally crushed with a connection to a lead character.

2. Secretative meeting with a senator and contractor with DS.

3. Grand Moff Tarkin and DS command staff arriving to the "sentinel moon" with Imperial March and emperor like regalia (see ROTJ).

4. A peaceful non populated planet being obliterated by test firing of DS primary weapon.

5. Political debate over the sentinel project fully being brought to light and the displeasure of the Senate with an adoption of the Tarkin Doctrine.

9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Opening Crawl. "These are dark times in the Galaxy. The Empire yadda yadda yadda"

Pan to classic Star Destroyer in a classic OT space battle.
    The Empire is kicking butt. Rebel cruisers exploding, Y Wings getting fried by Ties. Bad times for the Rebellion.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I want a stream of X-wings flying overhead in deep space, followed by a pursuing Star Destroyer as it launches TIEs.

And it needs to be IMAX 3d.

Force Smuggler and GregMcP like this.
  11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I like that. One of the Dirty Dozen in an XWing. His squadron getting picked off one by one.

He finally hits a planets atmosphere, and ejects as his craft explodes.
    A good intro to a character.

Master_Lok, DaddlerTheDalek and Sarge like this.
  12. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    After the opening crawl, or however they decide to do it. We see a TIE fighter flying through space, the Rebellion just stole the fighter, which they use later to board the Death Star to steal the plans. Perhaps that happens in the middle of the movie.

13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Like both of these ideas a lot. :)

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    A big Saving Private Ryan like battle that introduces several of our characters and ends with the Rebels having to evacuate the planet to look for a new base which will be Yavin 4.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  15. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I definitely expect the beginning of this film showing the Empire kicking the Rebels asses. As excited I am for seeing this, it will feel kind of surreal to see stormtroopers actually hitting stuff....

Darth Lurker likes this.
  16. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I suspect there won't be an opening text crawl, and they also won't be limited to starting each Anthology film with a space sequence. These films should be seen as an opportunity to branch out from the standard SW formula. So I could imagine the film starting out with Felicity Jones' character doing some sort of stealth mission, setting up her character for the bigger mission later in the film.

17. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I'm not so sure about this. The opening text crawl is an unique selling point that Disney won't drop so easily. As much as I would like to see something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, I'm afraid each Anthology film will start with some kind of opening text crawl.

18. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    They could start off with some kind of battle where the rebels have mounted a small assault on the Death Star as its nearing completion. They are obviously defeated and then it could then cut to the Imperials (Tarkin, the Emperor, the Senate) discussing the mounting Rebel activity or it could cut to the Rebels trying to formulate a new plan of attack?

I think they should all start with the opening crawl to give a head start to the viewer on the events leading up to that film and it also gives the makers a chance for some easy exposition. The rest of the film can be the difference in terms of tis style, but personally I'd like the crawl to be a constant between them all.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Breogan

Breogan Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    Opening crawl, ...pan down to...
    Space ... Imperial cargo ship, heavily damaged taking a pounding from an audacious swarm of Rebel X & Y fighters.
    Action quickly follows their moves down to reveal curvature of Oasis planet covered in dense fog...
    Gradually Rebel ships penetrate the mist revealing...
    A sprawling Imperial ship yard... as far as the horizon.
    Their cocky attack, suddenly slows to an eerie crawl, as they take it all in.
    Over the Rebel coms: ..... squad leader: I have a bad feeling about this...
    ... through the dense fog coming slowly over the horizon the silhouettes of the massive Death Star fills the screen.
    Multi-umbilical cables and ship activity tether it to they yards bellow, flanked around by hundreds of Destroyers.
    ..the now diminished, tiny looking Rebel squad, all do sudden 180 maneuvers: ..break off , ...break off! Evasive action!
    And jump to light.

Inside the bridge of a lead Devastator, an Imperial officer drops to his knees.
    Pan back to reveal Vader: Now, they know.

GregMcP likes this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm excited too, but it's nothing new to see Stormtroopers do this. Take, for example, the opening of ANH and the Empire's attack on the Tantive.

Jim Smith likes this.
  21. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    That's true. I wonder what happend to the stormtroopers after this. Perhaps all the best stormtroopers died when the first Death Star blew up.

22. visionz13

visionz13 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    Darth Vader destroying **** is my guess.

23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    After the scroll, the opening scene should be of a covert ground operation in Empire territory that looks like it could be the rebel special forces team stealing the Death Star plans but (as we'll later learn) is actually a reconnaissance mission to gain further intel before that mission is launched. This would introduce some of the characters from that team who are eventually tasked with the actual mission to steal the plans. From that point it can then pan to a different sequence of events that would introduce the circumstances between the Empire and the Rebels and all the characters within that, but without reference to that first scene until the middle of the movie. Then by that point they can tie one or a number of the characters in the first half of the movie to the special forces team, which would then provide us the second half of the movie.

Master_Lok and mattman8907 like this.
  24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012

i like this theory.

Rellum Kire likes this.
  25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    mattman8907: It could break the cycle of a ship flying over head as the opening scene, at least for the anthology movies. Wouldn't be a bad way to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.