main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Opening shot of TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LukeWhosTalking, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukeWhosTalking

LukeWhosTalking Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    We've come to expect a ship cruising through space. Something like that.

But I've got to say the opening shot of TFA looked really bad to me. A black triangle mass cutting across the screen diagonally, blocking out a planet. There's no depth to the shot at all. Both the perspective and framing seem awkward.

Who liked it and who didn't?

RogueDee and Chris_Fives like this.
  2. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    I loved it. A nice twist on the ANH shot with the same intent of revealing an enormous spaceship. And I liked thay the dark was encompassing the light, much like Kylo. I thought it was a brilliant shot!

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    It did nothing for me.

Merric likes this.
  4. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    It was fine, though I wasnt blown away either.

The ultra-3d shot of the Star Destroyer (part way through film) wouldve been a better opening shot, imo. You could pretty much feel the whole audience going 'oooooh'.

ukijedi likes this.
  5. DoubleGold

DoubleGold Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2013
    Yeah, I also thought it would be something more interesting that than, like a battle or even several of those things, but it was just one of those things, shadowing over a planet. There is no way that thing is as big as a planet or that a ship could make a shadow like that in space.

6. Njfritz

Njfritz Jedi Master star 3

Oct 2, 2014
    I thought it was the best opening shot in the saga. Less is more and massive shadows are always intimidating.

Seeher, Dewback and LordTimCahill like this.
  7. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    First viewing I thought it was weird, but now I think it works and was a way of trying something different while keeping up the tradition. It's not really great or terrible.

8. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Same here.. I liked the concept that it covered almost entire planet but it looked just like a triangle, without seeing the ship's details which was bad..

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    It was different,, can't be the same thing everytime, and I liked it..:cool:

Njfritz likes this.
  10. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    I thought it was visually too dark and had nowhere near the impact a new hope had.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  11. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Actual first shot of film >>>>>>>>>> what I was afraid we'd get as first shot of film (severed hand holding lightsaber)

12. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    I liked it. It's different from all the others without "breaking the rule". The ship covering the planet was very ominous and definitely had a deeper meaning, just like the opening of ANH.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

CnlSandersdeKFC and Sarge like this.
  13. EvacuateMomentofTriumph

EvacuateMomentofTriumph Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Not as good as New Hope. They whiffed it with the black mass.

I did like the title crawl at the beginning though because it was in 100 foot 3D IMAX.

14. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I thought it was amazing and perfectly paced! Seeings the planet become covered with the shadow of the Star Destroyed took me to a whole new level and I was left gobsmacked when Kylo Ren held the blaster fire in mid air, and stormtroopers were intimidating! :eek::D

15. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Personally, I didn't like it.

It did come across as a black triangle cutting across space. Probably my least favorite opening shot to be honest. It just looked flat to me. Of course, I've never seen any Star Wars film but TFA in theaters (I've only seen the others on home media formats) so maybe that made a difference.

16. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I loved it! I was just relieved not to see a lightsabre floating in space at that point, tbh - the ships breaking off were very evocative of the beginning of ROTJ (thought that was better).

17. Phasma's Armor Polish

Phasma's Armor Polish Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's my favourite of all the opening scenes for Star Wars, it's just straight into the action and the music is very effective in this scene.

Njfritz likes this.
  18. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Loved it. The oppressive darkness of the First Order emerging to block out the light. Pretty great symbolism.

19. LukeWhosTalking

LukeWhosTalking Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Ahead of ANH? You can't be serious!

20. mdtauk

mdtauk Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2015
    I found it difficult to gather what was happening in the opening shots, as it was all in shadow. I still think RotS had the best opening, with the drums and the epic space battle above Courscant

Xinau likes this.
  21. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000

Ha, yes. Up until I was in the theater I still thought the first shot might be at least the lightsaber flying through space. I was actually relieved when it was just a star destroyer. :)

Xinau likes this.
  22. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    My inner dialog during most of the movie:

23. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015

Right up until the buzz droids :(

Sarge likes this.
  24. mdtauk

mdtauk Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2015
    Lol, I didn't mind them, a clever idea for a weapon, but that was there for the kids lol

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Xinau likes this.
  25. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    Wow, I swear I must be watching a completely different movie from everyone else.[face_rofl] I love it, it was easy for me to imagine being on Jakku and looking up and seeing that ship flying over head blocking out the moons ... because, swear to God, I assume it was the moons it was blocking out since one of them was bluish and didn't look like a desert planet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.