main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Openly-gay characters in Star Wars thread: READ WARNING IN OPENING POST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    Woah, glad I arrived late to the party, some pretty peculiar statements made recently. These things tend to be completely off the radar and bang some strange angle gets posted. Am like WTH is that all about. What a strange little world we live in today, love is love lets just keep it at that. [face_love]@};-[face_peace]

2. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    Well it looks like Sulu is gay... So taboo broken and very nicely done!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The only thing I hate about that is that he'll never have his biological daughter in the current timeline. Besides Kirk's out of wedlock son who dies, Sulu was the only character in the original crew to have a child.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    With 23rd century tech, what's to say that the child isn't a biological descendant of one or both men?

5. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013

Yeh, but he's got a little-un on his arm so you never know.... Think it's really cool for his character in this series of films though. Always so dynamic, ass kicking, eyeing up the captains seat and then so tender (nothing more than the mere thumb caress gives it away).
    Only hope that if they go for it in SW, they'll do it with the same light brush strokes.

6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    True.

Even with 21st century technology, you have surrogates.

7. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    History is fun. More peole should check it out so they can realize that the things they hold as objective truths are actually social trends that change from culture to culture and age to age. It's uncomfortable to realise one has been culturally conditioned on many issues but take heart, we all are...we just need to fight it.

JABBERWOCK2137 likes this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I've had many a discussion about that, over the years.

9. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    Yeah, I mean Arnold Schwarzenegger carried a child in "Junior". Totally viable in a Sci-Fi./Fantasy Genre. Even though that movie was terrible, it gets the point across. lol

10. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    "Same-sex couples could both be biological parents to their babies with new genetic technique, scientists say" -Dec. 21, 2015
    (Link)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  12. akaydia41188

akaydia41188 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2016
    Two gay people could have biological babies only if they are made in a laboratory. We could end up mass producing babies in factories like in a brave new world with that kind of technology. That would really change society.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Same-sex couples being treated like heterosexual couples and being given options for reproduction is not going to lead to A Brave New World.

But by all means, tell any couple who has had a baby via IVF that they are contributing to the Huxleyism of society instead of, you know, taking advantage of modern science rather than arbitrarily eschewing it in favor of superstition.

Here is how this works in reality:

--male couples adopt or use a surrogate
    --lesbian couples use IUI or adopt

IOW...same options that infertile straight couples use.

That's assuming that they choose to have children, which some people, gay and straight, decide not to do.

Any reproductive technology in Star Wars would be similar. People in the GFFA would not be required or obligated to eschew science either, although there were species like the Vong that did so.

14. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I have this weird feeling Donnie Yen and Jiang Wens characters in Rogue One are an item

15. akaydia41188

akaydia41188 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2016
    I was talking about two gay men being biological fathers. You would need genetic engineering to do this. For two men to be biological fathers, a laboratory most definitely would be used. The n probably implanted in it a surrogate. Currently, when gay men use surrogacy, only one of them is the biological father. When straight use surrogacy, the wife often donates eggs and the father donates sperm. Sometimes a sperm or egg donor is used if the husband or wife has defective sperm or eggs. So gays are not the only ones using surrogacy, egg sellers/donors, and sperm sellers/donors. Even if gays never existed, we would still have to deal with reproductive technology's effect on society. My main focus is on the technologies, not on gays. However, I guess you can say that this is a gay issue since this technology affects gays are more heavily than straights. Most straights can reproduce without the help of a 3rd party. Gays need these technologies or they cannot reproduce (well I guess they could if they entered a straight relationship). However, if only a small percentage of gay want to reproduce, I guess it is a moot issue for them.

When you use a surrogate, there are lots of ethical questions that come up. Do surrogates have the legal right to abort? Do women lose their legal right to abort when they sign a contract? Can the intended parents force the surrogate to have an abortion? Are the women entering the surrogacy agreement willingly or are they being pimped out by human traffickers? How much could Human Traffickers make if they started impregnating slaves through IVF and then taking the babies away? If the surrogate finds out that the intended parent is a pedophile or violent criminal, should she have the right to refuse to hand over the baby? If the intended parents no longer want the kid, what should happen? Can the intended parents sue the surrogate if their child is defective? Is there a return policy for defective kids? Do kids have a right to know their biological parents if they were created through egg/ sperm donation/selling? Should we allow the selling of sperm and eggs? Should those who sell or donate eggs and sperm be allowed to do it anonymously? Can egg/ sperm donor/seller remain anonymous? If egg/sperm donors/sellers are exempt from child support- then should those who have one night stands also be except? Should egg/sperm donors provide child support? Would people be okay with marrying someone who was a sperm donor/seller who has fathered to hundreds of children like Jango Fett? What should be done with unused fertilized eggs? What if the surrogate has twins but the clients only wanted one? Should parents be free to abort gay babies? What about babies that will grow up to be fat? Should they be able to select the babies gender? Could intended parents hire multiple surrogates, select the best child, and abandon the rest? How does donating/selling gametes affect a person's life? Will they be able to find their kids in the future? Will their kids find them? Will the donated offspring become a future intrusion? How will a kid feel about having his biological mother or father erased from the family? Can a reproductive corporation guarantee that their kids will go to good homes? If there is a conflict of interest between the surrogate and intended parents, who has the power to get what they want? Can you ethically recruit someone to basically sell their future biological children? Are we becoming a society of Rumpelstiltskin? Was Rumpelstiltskin a bad guy, or just misunderstood? Was the miller's daughter wrong to go back on her word? Was the miller's daughter wrong to use her future children as currency? Was Rumpelstiltskin taking advantage of a woman in a dire situation?

The demand for surrogates has skyrocketed. Using a surrogate is expensive. An artificial womb would greatly decrease the cost for people to have children. Once an artificial womb is developed, companies could manufacture babies for profit. Right now surrogacy costs well over $10,000 for a single baby. Future technology could reduce the price to mere $1,000. It would be like buying a dog. If having a baby this way becomes so affordable, I could see if becoming the main way to reproduce. This does bring ethical questions and it would change society. Most likely it would end up changing the relationship between children and parents. What if the kid doesn't live up to client's expectations? It would also raise questions about who has the right to have a child. Should pedophiles and violent criminals be allowed to purchase children? Would you need a permit to purchase a kid? Should we allow genetic engineering to prevent babies from having birth defects? Should we allow designer babies? Is ugliness a disease? Should people be able to clone themselves? Should a woman be able to use their late husband DNA to create kids? Should parents be allowed to rehome kids that they no can longer afford? If we have genetic engineering, is a biological link to your child even necessary? Is there no difference between a child with a biological link and a child with no biological link to a parent. Does a biological link have any meaning? It did to Luke and Vader. Would this technology affect adoption? Would artificial wombs kill demand for adoption? What would happen to abandon and orphan children? Could the government afford to care for all of the abandon children? Would this technology increase the number of abandon children? Would reproductive technology replace creating children the old fashioned way like in Gattaca? Would natural birth become disgusting? Would gender become meaningless? Should parenthood be redefined? Would turning children into a consumer product alter the relationship between a parent and their child? Would giving birth become disgusting and abhorrent?

To be honest, I'm uneasy about Reproductive Technology. With adoption, the emphasis is placed on finding a good home for the child. With reproductive technology, the emphasis is fulfilling the desire of adults.
    I can sympathize with people who really want kids. However, we need to have this conversation sooner rather than later. How are we going to regulate or deal with current and future reproductive technologies?Are there ethical ways of using reproductive technology? Are there unethical ways of using these technologies? How can we reduce harm to all the parties involved?

Is it superstitious to not want to use the atom bomb? After all, science created the atom bomb. Science also created guns. If you anti-guns, are you also anti-science? Are those who are pro-gun control also anti-science? Are those who are pro banning guns superstitious? Science is a tool. It is a tool that needs to be used morally. If we don't talk about the moral aspect of reproductive technologies- then yes we will probably end up with a dystopian mess on our hands. Will these conversations be uncomfortable? Yes, much like conversations on racism and homophobia. If we have these conversations now. We can avoid many future messes.

16. WookieeRage

Feb 3, 2016
    We should start using the word "midichlorians" for "sperm".

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I honestly considered offering that option a handful of pages back. It could only help...

18. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Z
    ZOMG this.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Comparing IVF or IUI to bombs or guns reminds me of the comparisons of homosexuality to bestiality.

"What if two women want to have a baby together using a sperm bank and IUI? What if a couple wants to try IVF instead of adopting after several failed attempts to get pregnant?"
    "No, they can't. It will lead to people SELLING UGLY BABIES."

No. That's not how it works and the sky is not falling because couples, both same-sex and opposite-sex, use fertility clinics.

And in a conversation like this it is thinly-disguised homophobia.

"We can't let Sabine and Ketsu get together. If they do, they might want to have a kid together using the GFFA version of IUI and then we will have another Kamino and nobody in Star Wars will get pregnant through sex anymore. Humans and Wookiees will fly around in space ships together and galaxy will be destroyed."

Again...no.

Birkendoc and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    "I wanna check his midi-chlorian count." ...or... "Even master Yoda doesn't have a midi-chlorian count that high!" ...or... "Master sir, I heard Yoda talking about midi-chlorians. I've been wondering, what are midi-chlorians?" #awkward

[​IMG]

21. WookieeRage

Feb 3, 2016
    It works both ways, I don't care for the word "sperm" and it makes the PT all the funnier.

22. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    This thread [face_dunno]

B99 likes this.
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Its close to derail!

24. WookieeRage

Feb 3, 2016
    Alright, getting back on topic here. I think a gay character would be fabulous in Star Wars...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
  26. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    oh grow up. sperm sperm sperm. it's science.