Oceania Opera House Graffiti

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Syrix_Kahl, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    Although I am loathe to start a politically oriented thread, here of all places, I figure it can't hurt.

So, 2 guys decide to paint an anti-war slogan on the Opera House. What nerve! What do they think gives them the right?! It makes me so mad.

For what purpose? They want to try and stop the war? Like that's going to happen? Do Anti-War protests even work? I personally can't recall any incidents where protests have actually swayed World Leaders to change their course of action. Maybe I'm wrong, but why can't all the nay-sayers just stay at home and keep their protesting to themselves.

So, uh, yeah. Discuss.

Edit - Spelling
  2. -luigi- Jedi Master

star 4
    imagine the society we would live in if nobody ever stood up for what they believed in. Protestors can't stop this war but they can make their voices heard.

and for the record I do not condone the graffiti on the Opera House.
  3. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Uh, Vietnam Syrix? :D 10 years of hard work to bring our lads home mate!

Is it not enough to have to see the slogans all over our campuses, all over pillars and just about everywhere else that one of the most recognised, iconic buildings in the world has to be incorporated into the fray?

:eek: It just occured to me Syrix. These aren't just vandals...they're iconoclasts! :eek:

E_S
  4. Jedi Daniel Force Ghost

star 5
    How dare they do this. These people are idiots. There are better ways to protest a war than to vandalise a such a great monument like the Sydney Opera House.
  5. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

And they weren't even Australian. One of them wasn't, anyway. Don't know about the other one.

Things to do in Sydney:

1. Visit the Opera House
    2. Vandalise the Opera House

Do you think he's going to go home (ie, get deported) and graffiti Big Ben or the Palace or such?

Not likely.

"I do not much dislike the matter but the manner of his speech." - Shakespeare
  6. Bleuskay Jedi Knight

star 1
    :eek:

That's vandalism to a national Monument! :mad:

Its a peace sign and that makes it ok? What if it was a picture of a duck? Or a car?

:mad:
  7. MarvinTheMartian Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Good. I hope that guy does get deported.

And I was watching it on the news last night, and the way he was talking, he thought he was totally justified in defacing our building.
  8. JediMasterKieca Force Ghost

star 4
    *giggles*

Doesn't anyone else see the slightest bit of humour in this?
    The whole war issue aside...

How on earth did the security guys take that long to notice it? I mean they had finised writing big red words over the roof and nobody noticed until they had already finished??
    There's the reliable Australian values for you. They were probably out the back having a smoko or something :p
  9. foxy_kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
  10. Otter Force Ghost

star 4
    I think it would have been so much more effective if they had have just unfurled a banner or something instead of actually defacing the building.
  11. MarvinTheMartian Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thats probably true. A banner would have been quicker, easier, less damaging, and probably wouldn't get you deported :p
  12. Scott_M Jedi Master

star 4
    Feh. What's the big deal? It'll be gone before anybody knows it. Fair effort actually getting up there and achieving it though. I imagine security will be beefed up to national treasures (Sydney Harbour Bridge, Parliament House, Kylie's Minogue's bum, etc). What if they'd planted a bomb up there, that brought the house down (literally) on some show and killed a few hundred people.

To look at the positive side, at least it was just paint.
  13. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Personally I'm not sure on this whole war issue yet, and I doubt I ever will be. I do respect the right for people to speak out in protest, and for peaceful demonstration against it.

But something like this is going too far. Protest, yes. Break the law in doing so, no.

How on earth did the security guys take that long to notice it? I mean they had finised writing big red words over the roof and nobody noticed until they had already finished??

Actually, they knew that they were up there before they even opened the can of paint. But as you can see from the pictures, there's not exactly a lot of room up there, nor is it all that safe for workers. The head of security made the call to not send any of his people up there since all they were doing was painting, rather than risk the lives of the protesters, or the security personel.
  14. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    Uh, Vietnam Syrix? 10 years of hard work to bring our lads home mate!

I considered changing that line because I wasn't sure about Vietnam. In the end, I thought it was more a matter of the Western leaders realised that they were fighting a "losing" battle and it was time to stop spending money and start pulling troops out (as opposed to having their mindset swayed by public protest).

at least it was just paint

While it is/was just paint, I hear this stuff doesn't come out easily. It's not like they can just hose it down.

And yes the man from the UK has been given notice that his visa will be withdrawn and he will have to leave the country.

15. messicat_kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Brats! :mad:

Vandalising the Opera House is naughty!
  16. Scott_M Jedi Master

star 4
    While it is/was just paint, I hear this stuff doesn't come out easily. It's not like they can just hose it down.

My point was, there was no permanent damage to person or property.
  17. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What is the difference between a landmark and a monument?

I thought the Opera House was a landmark. It doesn't seem to stand for much (as I thought monuments were supposed to, ie the war memorial),except maybe avant garde architecture.

I don't see that much harm in it myself. I mean, you ask politely, no one listens. You ask again, louder, still nothing. You shout, you scream, and still feel ignored. Eventually you're going to take it a step further. At least this wasn't violent and no one was harmed.

But I agree a banner would have been better.
  18. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    So, if I take offense at all these anti-war protesters, I should first ask them politely to stop, then ask loudly, then shout, then paint their houses?

Why don't I just cut to the chase and start painting, since they're not going to stop, are they?

My point was, there was no permanent damage to person or property.

Agreed, and my point was that it will be fairly expensive to fix, and who's going to pay for it? Not likely the two men who actually did it.

19. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Why don't you cut to the chase and just start painting?

Cos that's the terrorist mentality.

See also: World Trade Centre, September 11.
  20. Nyder Jedi Master

star 4
    A good way to solve the protestor dilemma is to bash their heads in with batons and throw them in prison :confused:

Or I suppose you could just make it socially unacceptable (protesting) ;)
  21. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    The most bullcrap part was them saying "It was just a spur of the moment thing."

Right.
    A set of wallpaper rollers, several cans of paint.
    Spur of the moment.
    Sure.
  22. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

Something slightly off topic, but not worth starting a new thread about: today I saw a brochure for an "EMERGENCY WAR PROTEST AT 5.30PM TODAY!"

Now, honestly, at this stage of the game, with only 24 hours (or less) before the hammer fals ... what is the point?

After all the millions of people across the world that have been protesting for however long, does anyone honestly think Bush & Gang are going to suddenly stop and say, "You know what, you're right. This is a bad idea. What were we thinking? Let's go home..."

23. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    Why don't you cut to the chase and just start painting?

Cos that's the terrorist mentality.

See also: World Trade Centre, September 11.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha!
    OMG! You're too funny!

Keep 'em coming!!!

Oz, heck, even the large protests held a few weeks back in major cities around the world were a bit too late, IMO.
  24. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

PROTESTOR: DON'T INVADE IRAQ!!

PASSERBY: They invaded last week, mate. They're already back home...

PROTESTOR: OH ...
  25. MarvinTheMartian Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    My International Relations lecturer spent half the lecture trying to indoctrinate people today :mad:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.