main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Opera House Graffiti

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Syrix_Kahl, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Some of the protester are idiots.

I went to the brisbane rally yesterday, and for the most part peole just stood around and showed their support. I was fortunate enough to be standing next to one idiot, who started yelling out that the cops were trying to remove people conducting a sit-on on the road (ann st, for brisvegans) and it was almost funny when everyone just sort of looked at him, waving his fool arms in the air.

I went for a sticky beak, and hte cops were just standing there while people sat down all around them. No biggie.

2. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Some of the protester are idiots.

You dont have to be so harsh on yourself ;)

3. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    ladies and gentlemen, the funniest man alive!

4. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

re: Opera House Graffiti

Just heard that one of the OH vandals has kindly agreed to start up a fund so that people can make donations to the repair bill.

Great idea! Why take responsibility for your actions when you can get your victims to do it for you!

re: protests

Gotta love the german protests. students running rampant. police hosing them down, chasing them through the streets. then, when one protestor slips and falls over, the police stop, help him up, give him a head start, then start chasing again ... lol

5. maestrino

maestrino Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    hmmm.

So tax payers have to foot the bill for cleaning the Opera House, ya?

No biggie that we're also footing the bill for the war.

[face_plain]

6. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Yeah but *hmpf mgh ppff*

^that was me sticking my foot in my mouth without actually having to do so...

7. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

The fact that we are paying for the war (like it or not) is even more reason NOT to have to pay even more money for idiots like that

No matter how many people protest, our forces aren't coming home early, and we're not going to get a refund.

So why add to the bill with a futile act of public vandalism?

There's no excuse for doing it.

And there's no excuse for making others pay for it.

They broke it. They pay for it.

That's what I was always taught.

8. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Gotta love the german protests. students running rampant. police hosing them down, chasing them through the streets. then, when one protestor slips and falls over, the police stop, help him up, give him a head start, then start chasing again ... lol

The wierd thing is, that their governemnt isn't supporting the war. I fail to understand why German demonstraors would go on such a destructive riot, when this doesnt affect them in the slightest.

9. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Because many of the protestors don't really give a crap about the war and are just using an excuse to bash capitalism, Bush, etc. How else can you explain the absence of anti-Saddam banners at these things (when he's the one person who could've stopped this whole mess)? The fact that there was a lack of demonstrations when Clinton invaded Yugoslavia (without UN approval, BTW) during the war on Kosovo is further indicative that these protestors are motivated mainly by their hatred of the Bush administration rather than the war itself

10. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
    Resistance (who brought us the ironically named Peace Protest in Sydney this week) will apparently "bring Sydney to a halt" next week with another 'protest.'

And they will continue to do so "until the government ends its involvement in Iraq."

A protest is a public declaration of objection.

These protests, on the other hand, are planned not to declare but to coerce.

Some might call it civil disobedience. But civil disobedience is the refusal to obey a law because you feel it is unjust.

Threatening to disrupt society until your demands are met is not a protest, nor civil disobedience, but blackmail. Some might even call it social terrorism ... ?

Is there a line?

Have they crossed it?

11. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    That Kylie Moon (one of the so-called "leaders" of these protests, though, lets face it, no one seems to exert control over them) is an absolute idiot. She claimed that the violent protestors who were arrested were detained "illegally". Gee, well, I'm sure she cried a river when her pack of moronic friends threw golf balls and eggs "illegally" at police [face_plain]

12. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Jeez, the Today show is on a roll with the protesting clowns of late. Judy Davis embarrassed not only herself last Saturday but the entire 'mob' as Howard has correctly put it.

http://news.netshow.ninemsn.com.au/news/nat/archive/war/2203_judy_davis.wmv

The only thing she got right was the time and location of that day's protest. And since I wasn't there, I can't verify it. Please note, I haven't heard the above link. The website says it's the interview from last Saturday, but who knows with 9?

And Kylie Moon today will be looking back at that 5 minute trip to the TV station in 20 years time and thinking just how stupid a kid she was.

And I thought Liebman and Grimshaw would never out do anyone...

13. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    I quite like the spin that Channel Nine has given the protestors of late ;) Particularly with that davis interview.

:mad: God celebrity activists really piss me off.

*Goes to compile his black list*

14. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Now that the police have refused them a permit for this week's protest, there is a split in the ranks - the 'peaceful' peace protestors are distancing themselves from the Resistance/BNB protestors, and are considering banning them from being involved in future protests ... (how they would do that I have no idea, seems to me that would just encourage them)

15. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    They'll give them all the lousy jobs after the revolution ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.