main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***Operation C: A Zellers Offense!***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Black_Chameleon, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black_Chameleon

Black_Chameleon Jedi Master star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Update: John, Dave and I (featured in this video) were all suspended until further notice from Zellers, (Owned by the HBC corporation) after their corporate offices found out we made this flick. Funny thing is we had express permission to film by our Store Manager, but no one believes us as he doesn't work for Zellers anymore.

I've posted this video before but after being suspended and their request that we keep the video on the down low, here it is again, in this epic "Suspended Cut"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic-vhNz3VTY (Youtube)

Me, and my buddies from work, and one of my buddy's friend all worked hard and shot this epic action trailer right in our good ole' Zellers Store 030. Feast your eyes on the oncoming Nazi-clone armies, as we defend the world using what we know best: LRTs, Hbc points cards, and good old fashioned ass whoopings!

So enjoy the action packed trailer for Operation C, The film adaptation of the thrillride comic by John Markovic, available August 17, 2007, only through facebook!

Special thanks to:

S. Michael Leier
    Olav Jordan
    Detonation films

2. Penitio

Penitio Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2002
    What has this taught everyone? Get permission in A> writing, B> triplicated and C> on film.

3. Ripper

Ripper Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    If you take out their logo im not sure theres anything they can do about that.

although I dont recomend using this as your defense if things go to court ;)

4. DarthGaul

DarthGaul Jedi Master star 3

May 25, 2004
    Remember...corporate identity stealing is a no-no. Especially when taking on a big Canadian retail sales giant like The Hudson's Bay Company (HBC).

5. Black_Chameleon

Jan 9, 2004
    I don't think this is a case of learning a lesson, we all work part time there and have real full time jobs. It doesn't sound like they are going to do anything legal with it. Then again...no publicity is bad publicity.

*Ponders* riskay!

6. Ripper

Ripper Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    its the same as a fan film at the end of the day, you dont own the name star wars and dont have the right to make money with it, same goes for Zellers.

if you took their name off, as well as all the other brand names in shot I dont think they have a case against it unless they have proof you filmed on their property without permission.

although retail outlets are quite insecure about competitors filming their displays / prices as well.

7. Black_Chameleon

Jan 9, 2004
    True, though it's a non-profit youtube video so, that doesn't really stand as a case, moreover the film is made as a parody for comedy purposes. That has to be worth something.

8. NitroBlade

NitroBlade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    I'm pretty sure if you take out and blur out the logo's, it'll be legal to show anywhere. Doesn't matter if it's in the store or not. The space they own isn't copyrighted, only the logo.

Even if you had permission, they obviously didn't get permission from the big boys on top, or else they would have given an immediate "no". You would have to go through mountains of paperwork and phone calls and time to be able to shoot there legally.

Zellers isn't a great store anyways, so I wouldn't fret. I hate shopping there. The only thing I get from that place is socks and underwear, lol.

Oh, and fun film. Did you shoot while on your shift when you had no customers, or when it was closed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.