main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive Operation Overlord

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Jango10, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthVercetti

DarthVercetti Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    IC: Cpl. Morton

Jeremy sat in hs fox hole counting his jakcets. he was running low on bullets so he would have to conserve them. He sat in his foxhole with an Anti-Tank weapon next to him. He had collected 6 rockets for it and was hoping not to have to use that many.

He saw Sgt. Hanley popping between foxholes and called out as quietly as possible
    "Hey, Sargeant, What's happening down there?"

TAG: Sabre, Deiskrad

2. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    IC: Sgt. Hanley, 50th Division, St. Aubin

As Jake was running across the field of foxholes he heard someone on his right call out in a whisper, "Hey Sergeant, what's happening down there?" Turning towards the voice, he spotted Cpl. Morton. Wheeling around to change his direction, Jake slid into Mortons hole and took a deep breath.

Looking back out towards the direction of the firefight Jake noticed the billowing smoke rising above the line of trees. "Not sure Corporal, but it doesn't look good. Be ready, those bleeding Germans could be on us at any moment."

In the foxhole next to them sat Pvt. Finlay, who overheard the conversation, "Hey sarge" said Finlay "'How 'bout that Rum Ration eh? Can I have it now, along with a woman?"

"Heh, soon enough Finlay. After this I'll get onto HQ to call in some nice London lasses for the lot of us."

With that Jake jumped out of Mortons foxhole and headed straight back to the CP building. As he stepped inside the sound of the dusty floorboards creaking underneath his bodyweight competed with the crackles and distant cries of the squad box on the table nearby. It was being manned by a kid from another platoon.

"Any news from the bridge?" Jake asked, laying a hand on the kids shoulder.

"Not really Sir, there is a lot of static, cant make out much." Replied the radioman.

"Well you keep on tryin soldier, let me know if you get any reports."

Without bothering for a reply Jake jogged back outside and headed for the forward observation foxhole.

TAG: DV, Deiskrad

3. Odd_Ball13

Odd_Ball13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    IC:pFC Miller

Miller moved up the 82nd soilder he recently found,"Any information about the viillage up ahead?","Yeah i was part of a mixed unit down there about a german regiment supported by halftracks and Tigers, last i saw they had a PAK guns at the edge of the village, the village problaby has a few Wehrmacht companys, some understengh from the battle so we got quite a fight up ahead. i was part of a small squad that was to report enemy movement to the chrch our main communition center but we never go a message out.", "ok thanks for the info assemble with those two over there Billy and Thigpen im leading them we move in first and see if we can relay some of the defences there.", "yes sir!" Miller walked up to the capitan and began to tell him his plan.

OCC: The 82nd soilder you guys from the 101st can control as an NPC to aid with the assault on the town, that is if its ok with deisk.

4. Deiskrad

Deiskrad Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC: Today I'm flying out to Southern California for my vacation/holiday. I'll be gone one week. I might update at some point next week if I have time. But for now please just play amongst yourselves and have fun. If it gets way off track I'll be sure to set it right when I get back. Sorry to bog this again just as it's getting good.
    On the other hand, this puts me a few thousand miles closer to the Australian players. Hah! :-D

5. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: Even if you are on the very edge of Southern California, thats still a 13 hour flight direct to Sydney :p Plus another 2 hour plane trip to Adelaide, where DV and I live... Anyway, enjoy your holiday Deiskrad, see you when you get back!

6. masterjedi343

masterjedi343 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 26, 2005
    ooc:so the 82 are with us now or just the one?

ic;Billy

::Billy slung his rifle over his shoulder,he was nervous about assulting a town full of germans,on the other hand however who whouldn't be?.He was sure everyone was a little bit nervous,but not showing it.he looked at miller and smiled;; nervous miller about this?

tag;all

7. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: I am pretty sure that you have yourselves a mixed unit. This would be made up of 101st, boys from Utah beach (4th Division I guess) and some 82nd for good measure. Keep in mind my character (Cpl. Taylor) is 82nd too, so dont act too suprised seeing them in our group.

8. Odd_Ball13

Odd_Ball13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    IC: Miller

"nervous miller about this?" Miller turned to the young private and remember that a leadership quality is not showing fear or it will pass on to your subordinates but being honest at the same time. "Well Billy I am a little nervous but i was more nervous when we were at the stageing area, or in the C-47 just 30 secs before the drop, especially boot camp. But this battle will be the biggest fight for our lives so i want you to keep cool now you here, we attack when the capitan radios us but we better on our toes that sherman tank will be of good use but we need to be carefull panzershrecks all over the rooftops ok, get Thigpen and our neweset addition to the group Pvt. Adrian and assemble on me we are going to scout that village and piont out targets for the rest of the unit."

TAG: Billy

9. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC: Well, I'm back. Tomorrow I will post an update, but for the moment I just want to pop in and say Hi and clear up a few things. Yes, it is indeed a mixed unit consisting of US 4th Infantry, 101st and even a few 82nd Airborne boys. They will get sorted out into their proper unit in the coming days.
    I need to contradict and correct the statement made earlier concerning the town's garrison in the sector with scubensky, taylor, miller, et al. There was an erroneous statement that the village was garrisoned by a REGIMENT of dug in infantry supported by tiger tanks and 88mm PaK's. This is not likely. A regiment in the Wehrmacht at this point contained anywhere between 2500 and 5000 men. It is unlikely that this many would be assigned to a single village. That would be more than a hundred men per building!
    Further, despite what Saving Private Ryan says, there were no Tiger tanks in the american sectors until well into the campaign for normandy. They were all operating in the east against the british.
    When we get to the town, we will write off this overestimate to hyperbolic military intel.

10. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: Good to see you back Deiskrad, I am eagerly awaiting the update!

11. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    Unnamed Village, mixed 4th Infantry, 101st Airborne, & 82nd Airborne w/ Scubensky, Taylor, Miller, Billy, et al

The Americans crept into the village, sweat bursting. They anticipated that the Germans would make a defensive stand in the village, but the crack of Kar 98 rifles and roar of MG 42's never happened. After about fifteen minutes of searching, the town was declared secured. The Germans had apparently retreated into the hedges and woods beyond.
    The surviving sherman clanked up nearby to where miller and billy sat outside smoking cigarettes. THe captain was standing on the chassis, talking with the tank commander and consulting a map. After a few minutes he hopped off.
    "You'll hear it from your NCO's, but you're right ehre, so I'll tell you first. We halt here and wait for replacements, reinforcements, and resupply. We got off relaitvely easy. The rest of the front had a hard time advancing. That's why we never got Artillery or Air. it was all going elsewhere."
    That was sobering. 20 dead with almost twice as many in various states of wounding was an "easy" time of it, how bad had it been elsewhere?
    "Dig in. Make this place secure from counterattack." The captain then wandered away to find his new CP.
    "*****" one of the dogfaces whispered when he was out of earshot.
    "look there." somebody else said.
    Emerging from their home, a French family of four; two parents and two children, stepped out into the street. The four stayed close together.
    "American? Anglais?" The father asked.
    "'Murrican." Said the huge Mississippian in his near incomprehensible swamp-english.
    "American! American good! Boche gone!" He began to smile.
    Slowly, his family did as well.

TAG: Miller, Scubensky, Taylor, Billy

St. Aubin-Arquenay, British 3rd division outpost with Hanley, Morton, and NPC's.

Eccleston came running up and crouched near Hanley's hole.
    "We just got the word sir." He said between gasps. "Jerry's through the first line. he's on his way now. intel says it's 21st Panzer! Tanks, Infantry, some APC's. Our artillery is going to try to disrupt their advance, but..."
    "I understand private." Hanley said. "Please get back to your position."
    "Aye sir." Eccleston said, and rushed down the line to his foxhole.
    Morton peered through his sights down the road. ALl he coudl see were the trees, and the smoke from beyond in banville, where even though Fritz had broken through and was coming down the road, he hoped that the 6th airborne boys were still giving him what for in parts of the town still.
    He could hear gears grinding, and the roaring of large engines.
    And, inexplicably, he thought he could hear Finlay, the Welsh giant, singing "Men of Harlech" softly.
    Across the line, clammy hands clamped hard on stocks.
    Hanley thought about options. Well, there weren't any at all. Hold fast. That was the order. He only hoped that he could make his men hold fast long enough for the RAF or the artillery to show up. All he needed to do was stop the tanks and grenadiers long enough for the artillery to get a firing solution, or the Air Force to turn iron beasties into tinsel sauerkraut.
    It was all a question of nerves.
    **** of British steel.
    He hoped his men all had them.

TAG: Morton, Hanley.

12. Morkai

Morkai Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2005
    IC: Gierhardt Wulf CO 2nd Kommpanie 5th Fallschirmjaeger RGT/ Kampfgruppe Wulf

Outskirts Vierville De Cote

Gierhardt swore to himself and peered over the lip of the shell hole the were hunched in, he reached over and grabbed Hienze and the radio set, taking it he issued his new orders "All units fall back to primary strong points, keep contact with the enemy and make sure they see you leaving". he called for the reinforcements frequency, finally getting the officer he spoke hurriedly "Get your men and relieve the flank, hit the yankee's hard and withdraw to secondary positions". He turned to Piltz "Take a squad and make sure they get out of there...GO" as his friend leapt over the shell hole towards the exposed flanking troops, Gierhard signalled for his men to fall back.

He and his command squad zigzagged their way through the enemy fire into the safety of the nearby hedgerows, firing at the enemy as they crashed through and re established firing positions. As his officers called in their acknowledgements of safe withdrawals, Gierhardt gambled the Americans were feeling confident enough to press their advantage and enlarge their area of control, he knew he would. His men around him quietly and efficiently sighted their weapons and established fields of fire. Girhardt gave the supporting artillery his new co ordinates and Radioed HQ with his SITREP. he would meet their counter punch with one of his own.

TAG: Deiskrad

13. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: Cant do much til we fighting starts, so I'll just send the Sarge into deep thought for a moment or two... oh, and did you just say we are the 3rd Division? I was sure we were always the 50th.....

IC: Sgt. Hanley, British, St. Aubin outpost

As war edged closer with every heartbeat, Jake took the time to think about his life before the war. Growing up in a small village near Kilkenny, Ireland, the closest thing to war was running around old man McGregors field with rifles carved out of scrap wood.

More and more Jake wished he was still that little kid running about shouting "Bang bang!" with his mates, being called home by his parents when it got dark.

A large bang could be heard from the battle past the trees, somewhat snapping Jake out of his self-induced trance. But that only got him thinking, How did an Irishman become a Sergeant in the British Army?

The sound of mud and wet grass being crushed by boots behind Jake interrupted his train of thought, and before he even needed to turn around Jake called out in a quiet yet stern voice "Eccleston, get in your foxhole and stay there."

The young Private was stunned, but nevertheless headed for his foxhole.

TAG: DV, Deiskrad

14. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    Vierville de Cote, Kampfgruppe Wulf

The Germans fell back to the hedges and thrice-ruined town of Vierville. Mortars tossed out smoke to cover their withdrawal. Some made it, some didn't. Those tanks and assault guns that could began to withdraw to their starting positions.
    Then Wulf heard a buzzing. Plitz grabbed him by the arm and pointed skywards.
    Planes.
    The double-engined p-38 lightnings, he'd memorized their silhouette in training. 6 of them. they banked and screamed out fo the sky.
    Wulf ran over to Hienze and screamed the situation into the radio, just as the lead hail began to fall.
    the P-38's stitched up the ground in vierville, in the hedges, in the forest, everywhere. The bullets clanged off the assault guns and off the tanks. they peeled off and came about for another pass. SOme of the men began furiously digging, even though they knew it was no good.
    On this pass however, the planes were met with determined fire from a 20 mm FlaK gun. It's staccato drumming was accented by tracers as the 20 millimeter shells arced skywards. The P-38's altered thier course and broke up, each seeking individual targets.
    One seemed to come right at Gierhardt. It's guns blazed.
    Geirhardt hugged the bottom of the hole along with Hienze and Plitz. and instant later a tremendous explosion rippled through the makeshift foxhole, making the walls crumble and tossing the terrified men together.
    Ears ringing, Wulf thought he could make out other bomb blasts, nad the incessant drumming of the 20 mm cannon as it attempted to drive off the P-38's.
    He looked up in time to see one the Flak Gun finally take one down. A 20 mm shell ripped open the fuselage of a P-38. It gouted flame and headed straight down. The other five banked and flew back towards England.
    Slowly picking himself up, he looked around at the devastation wrought by the American planes. There were several bob carters, and a lot of smoke. One of the hedges was burning merrily.
    "They've got to be coming after that." Plitz said, changing the clip in his MP-40
    Sure enough, they were. In the distance, in the smoke and flames, he could see cautious infantry marching forward. They came on, hunched over, nd alert towards the hedges and the town of Vierville.

TAG: Morkai

St. Aubin-Arquenay

the rumbling grew louder and lounder, and finally they saw it. A panzer emerged from the edge of the woods. 8 or so panzergrenadiers fanning out around it, like worker bees protecting their queen. The massive panzer turned slightly on one track, re-aligning itself with the road and continued to grind forward. The Infantry around it were shouting orders and were alert.
    One thing was instantly clear: these were not the demoralized and uncomitted fighters the russians and poles had been yesterday. These men were here to fight and fight hard. The tank, a Panzer IV Hanley identified (thank God it was not a tiger or Panther) continued to roll down the road. Neither it nor the infantry accompanying it had spotted the British yet. A halftrack with about 16 dismounted troops followed after the tank.
    Ever so slowly, Finlay drew back the bolt on his Bren, targeting a German carrying a schmeisser...

TAG: Hanley, Morton, et al.

15. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    Colombelles, France. Rommel, Feuchtinger et al

"They've broken through at Banville. They are headed north towards St. Aubin-Arqunay. There is still resistance from the paratroopers in Banville, however." The emotionless voice of the wireless operator intoned.
    "I have another company of Panzers that will be headed up that road shortly. They will follow-on to the beach." Feuchtinger said.
    "Order the Grenadiers in Banville to keep the main north road open at all costs. If the paratroopers pinch it off, we could be in dire straits indeed."
    "Herr Feldmarschal, Sir." Rommel's radio operator said. "12th SS Panzer is attacking across the river into the British Flank as well. They are encountering Tanks and Pak's. It appears the British foresaw the flank and have prepared accordingly. The heavy panzers are losing momentum."
    Rommel tried to estimate how much time they had until the RAF arrived. It might be time for something drastic...

TAG: CmdrMtthrawnurodo

16. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC: Are we dead in the water?

17. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: I'm sorry I havent been posting in here lately, just came out of exams and there are other things from DRL that are holding me back from making a solid post. I have started working on a post for this in Word, so expect to see one in the next couple of days.

I dunno where everyone else is though, holidays maybe?

18. masterjedi343

masterjedi343 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 26, 2005
    ic:Billy

:;Billy finished his cigarite and dropped it stepping on it.He then looked at the family frowning,but he did hear american in there somewhere.he nodded;; yes we are american :;he looked around at his squad hoping someone spoke french because he didnt,he only knew a few words:: bonjoure mijor and madamwozell(Spelling?)

tag:all

19. GrUnT_HUNTER

GrUnT_HUNTER Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2004
    IC: Sgt. Terry Scubensky "Scubs"

Scubensky wearily stood up as the news reached him. Reinforcements were here. He looked at the men around him, they seemed surprised that they were alive, but worried by the news of the new attack. When he had first met them they were enthusiastic about fighting this war. Now they were tired men who wanted to go home.

Scubs brushed the dirt off of his uniform. He was surprised to be alive and felt as if he were in a dream. They already had a new objective, and he watched as his comrades got ready. They looked up to him now, like he had saved their lives. He barely knew them. He had been promoted only days before the mission and was still adjusting to his new responsibilites.

Before he knew it he was moving with the rest of the reunited 101st. As he heard gunfire once more and saw bullets hit the dirt only inches away from him, his survival instincts kicked in again, abolishing any emotion he had previously had in his mind. Now he knew only to kill and to keep his men alive. It was becoming mechanical to him. He was no longer himself, no longer the shy and unsure farmboy. Now he was barking orders and covering his men as they ran, and trying to get a lock on the enemy's position. The transformation from teenager to man was nearly complete. The transformation from a farmboy to a soldier... and he wasn't sure if he liked it.

20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I havent posted mainly because I'm tired of being underminded in my attempt to get to the frontlines. Rommel DOES NOT stand in the rear. [face_plain]

21. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    Scubensky's Crew, 7 June 1944

At the command the weary men saddled up. But since most of them were infantry, they merely pulled on their packs, shouldered their weapons, placed their helmets back upon their heads, lit a cigarette and began walking.
    The tank coughed to life and began rolling down the road out of town. Infantry all around.
    The orders were just "advance to contact". Keeping pressure on these second tier troops while trying to get inland, hopefully for an envelopment around the 91st and 352nd divisions.
    They did not get very far before artillery opened up on them.
    Supersonic 88 rounds, ones that hit before they could be heard coming, dropped out of the sky all around the advancing americans. Immediately they went to earth, rolling into the hedges, off the sunken road, they crawled for shelter, or simply tried to fit as much of themselves into their helmet as they could.
    Miller noticed that rounds were also landing in town, and he wondered if that french family who was so delighted that the americans had arrived, were already back in their home stowing away their american flags, sure that the Boche would be back by tonight.
    Scubs crawled into a shell crater with Taylor, under the assumption that artillery did not hit the same place twice. He was frightened, of course, but mostly he was weary with resignation that his days would be like this for a long time to come.
    Billy wedged himself into a hedge, trying to keep bits of dirt off his scope.
    One round landed right next to the Sherman, its track and wheels jammed.
    Then the barrage lifted
    Scubensky squinted, try to anticipate from where the attack would come.

TAG: Scubensky, Taylor, Billy, Miller, et al

Colombelles, France

Drastic action would be necessary to save the day. Or at least, action that would be considered drastic by the Old prussians of the General Staff.
    Rommel excused himself, and his staff followed him. They knew this drill. The Field Marshal walked briskly to his car, The driver vaulting the door and sliding in behind the wheel.
    "Take me to the front!" he ordered.
    The Mercedes and the follow-on lorries bellowed their awakening and sped down the road.

TAG: Mitthy

OOC: Sabre, the German attack is in range, so you can uopen up whenever you want.

22. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    GeneralFeldmarschal Erwin Rommel

Heading to Wherever 12th SS Panzer is

7th July, 1944

Dearest Lu,

The Western Allies have established there beachheads last night. There was nothing we could do to stop them. All we can do now is delay them and hope for the best. Jundance is acting up a bit again. Aside from that I am doing well. I am sorry I had to cut your birthday short, but I will make it up to you on my next leave.

Yours,

Erwin

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel tucked the letter and pen back inside his coat pocket. He hadn't had time to write to Lucie nor had he had the chance to tell Gunther to write for him. His only chance was now while Daniels drove him toward the front. Although the writing was a bit sloppy, he at least got his thoughts and feelings down and it made him feel more relaxed in what he was about to do in the next ten or so minutes.

He knew he should not be coming this close to a chaotic and confused front, never knowing where exactly the enemy was. At least in Africa the enemy could be seen from miles away. Here, there was nothing but hills and forest and brush. Too many places for the Allied paratroopers to hide and ambush his men.

"Damned it all," he murmured. He wished he was still in Africa fighting the British 7th Army, chasing them to the Egyptian border and living his goal, his dream of the Suez Canal. But that was a campaign gone and lost to him forever. Even if they were to defeat the invasion, Germany could never muster up enough forces in all three forms of war to return to Africa. The Fatherland was on an indefinate defensive war.

The crackling of battle interrupted his thoughts. He could hear the exchanges between the British/Canadian and 12th SS Panzer forces long before he could see some of the results of those exchanges. "Head for that hill," he pointed at a hill he knew would be safely behind the panzers and would give him some elavation and view of the battle. He needed to see first hand what was going on before he could start giving orders.

As soon as Daniels stopped, he stepped out of the Mercedes and waved for his signals officer to join him. "Get in contact with the 12th," he ordered as he grabbed his field glasses to scan the horizon, buildings and treetops of the battle. "I want to know their exact situation." He heard some of his men busily set up a defensive perimeter just in case of that off chance an enemy soldier found their way to them.

TAG: Deiskrad

Okay... I scanned the posts and I'm assuming the "drastic measures needed" was concerning the battle with the 12th SS against the British near St. Aubin-D'Arquenay? Or did I overlook something...

Anyway... I'd like to know what he sees. A nice discription will do. And the results of his order.

23. TheTatooineRexTrader

TheTatooineRexTrader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2006
    Pash Approved

Name: Todd Staples
    Faction: British 50th Infantry Div.
    Class: Demolition
    Favorite Weapon: M9A1 Bazooka
    Height: 5'3"
    Weight: 130 lbs
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown
    Any other features: None really
    Picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BOB_Davidwebster.jpg
    Bio: Born and raised in England. His heritage is half English, quarter Portuguese, and quarter Indian. Finished public school but never quite made it to college. During the phony war, he spent time with his family, looking after a pair of evacuees. That was when he got signed up into military college. On his first mission, he has been sent to the 50th Infantry Division, 1st battalion, Dog Company, 4th platoon, Beta squad.

24. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    OOC: I'm a little swamped right now. Haven'ty forgotten this RPG, and am contemplating it often. But again it is one of those times where work, family, and friends are crowding out time for this. I should get something of an update up in a day or two.

25. TheTatooineRexTrader

TheTatooineRexTrader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2006
    Lieutenant Staples, St. Aubin-Arquenay

I crawled forward on my elbows so slowly, so that I could hear the cracking of thick branches by the incoming tank. I slowly peeked my head around the corner of the cottage I was behind to see anything. The cottage had a thatched roof. Not good for combat, obviously.

As my head came around the corner, I saw it. A huge Panzer came out of the trees, crushing everything in its path. I felt my breath catch in my throat at the sight of it and the dozen Krauts around it. As the platoon leader and bazooka man, I knew i would have to blow it up.

I got to my feet and slipped around to the back of the house, where i would have the best view of the tank when it came close. The battalion's armour had been left back a village behind. If we lost here, the Panzer's would be stopped further back. I got down on one knee and hauled the M9A1 onto my right shoulder.

I waited, my finger on the trigger and my eye in the scope.

TAG: Deiskrad, I guess?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.