main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive Operation Overlord

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Jango10, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    IC: Sgt. Hanley, Outside Evreux, France 22nd July 1944

As Jake turned around he saw Finlay moving away from Cpl. Morton with a canteen in his hand. Must be Rum Ration time He thought to himself.

It was difficult to keep track of the morale and going-ons of each and every soldier under his command, even if he only had a dozen to worry about, it was hard to remember all their stories from home on top of all the garbage that you get fed by the Brass. But he remembered Morton quite well, they had met each other just before shipping out of Portsmouth, and stood side by side on the Higgins boat they landed on Gold Beach in.

And he knew Jeremy had been hit hard by the death of his foxhole partner. In fact he had never really gotten over Bakers death. Nobody had. For a moment Jake felt guilty for not being gripped so hard about it. The initial loss hurt, but he had found a way to eliminate the pain he felt when a life was lost. Being a Squad Leader meant it was daily routine to see a man under your command fall. And every one that fell killed him inside just a little more.

Crawling over and sliding into Morton's foxhole, Jake gave his Corporal a weary smile and the gesture was returned, as Jeremy spoke "Hello Sergeant, what can I help you with?"

"Oh, nothing Corporal, just checking to see how you are going. How are you doing?"

TAG: Morton, Deiskrad

2. Morkai

Morkai Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2005
    IC: Hauptmann Gierhardt Wulf,CO 2nd Kommpanie 6th Fallschirmjaeger RGT

Gierhardt put the tea cup down, the light china piece's clinking being drowned by the low buzz of conversation in the small outside cafe inwhich he was sitting. He looked around at the eclectic collection of soldiers and the few locals who where in the cafe as well, thinking how different this was from any other posting he had gotten before. He now had a real bed in a small hotel that served as his kommpanie HQ, his men were billeted in the surrounding homes and those that werent manning their posts were enjoying the small luxuries that were on offer Like a decent tea Gierhardt thought as he picked up the top most of the pile of papers infront of him and ran his eye over it. Gierhardt knew that he should enjoy this paperwork, the Tommies and Yankee's were coming...and soon, every instinct the veteran fighter had told him this, it was just a matter of where.

He fished into his jacket and payed for his meal, noting the sullen disdain of the waiter, though he didnt hold it against him...how would he feel if he had to serve the men who had conquered his country he wondered. He moved through the busy cafe...the people infront of him moving respectfully out of the way once they glimpsed the small cross sitting at his throat. Pulling his forage cap over his head he made his way through the well appointed streets towards his main defensive positions.

TAG: All, GM

3. Deiskrad

Deiskrad Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2004
    With Morton and Hanley, outside Evreux France, 22 July 1944

Dusk was falling. as it fell, several sherman tanks puttered up from the rear. THey were to assist in the assault, apparently. At 1930, the Lieutenant called the NCO's to the CP to discuss the attack.
    "When it is fully night we will move out. THe infantry will move forward and attempt to infiltrate the German line. From what our patrols have gleaned, the Germans have a slit trench here..." He pointed to a line between two bunkers "with infantry, mostly riflemen. Our patrols did not see an MG team, but that may have changed by tonight. We think that the Machine guns are in these two log bunkers here and here..." He pointed to two emplacements on either end of the slit trench. "..with some mortar pits behind. Now, we think taht the germans do not have any more reserves this side of the Seine. The plan is to get in close before they can call down that artillery which is safely on the other side of the river. Our own artillery and fighter bombers are going to make a demonstration on our neighboring sector, which hopefully will draw German attention away from your efforts here.
    "Once you have infiltrated, hold your position and fire a purple flare, followed by illumination flares. This will signal the tanks to begin their attack. They will take out the bunkers and occupy the German position. You will follow on from that and attempt to seize the bridge from the main road here..." He then pointed to a small bridge that rested perhaps a half-kilometer behidn the German main line of resistance.
    "Take and hold that bridge and establish a bridghead across the river. You will have cut off the german retreat from the rest of the salient on the west side of the river and we will at last have something of a foothold on the far side of the Seine. Questions?"

TAG: Morton, Hanley

Ulm, Germany. June 22nd, 1944. With Feldmarschall Erwin Rommel (retired)

Ulm had not been missed by the allies. Both it and Neu Ulm across the river had been heavily targeted by allied bombers. Only Stuttgart had been more devastated by air attacks in the state of Baden-Wurttemberg.
    Still though, the Cathedral in Ulm stood. It reached towards the sky seemingly in a gesture of dark defiance.
    The staff car sent by the SS weaved through the rubble strewn streets. Their passenger, Field marshal Rommel, had been politely asked to meet with some SS people in Ulm. They asked that they not be made to insist. Rommel knew what that meant, and agreed to go along demanding immunity from harm for his family in return.
    The Burghers and merchants of Ulm went about their business. the market was open and sold what little food it had to offer. The city seemed to be in perpetual shell-shock. And they eyed the staff car wearily as it puttered slowly through the street.
    Finally it stopped in front of Ulm's city hall, where the SS office was temporarily located.
    Rommel was taken inside, with care and all the respect due a Field Marshal.
    An SS general named von Lang met and shook Rommel's hand.
    "Heil Hitler. Good afternoon Field Marshal. I apologize for the subterfuge, normally such messages and the like would be done through the Heer and with formality. Alas, these are not normal days, and naturally the Fuhrer trusts only the SS.
    "But, the fuhrer still considers you 'his' general, despite your, shall we say, undiplomatic tone as of late.
    "Therefore, along with the request of Field Marshal Von Rundstedt, the Furhrer requests that you return to active duty."

TAG: Morkai

Historians Note: I made up Von Lang.

4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    GeneralFeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

Rommelâ??s Haus - Herrlingen, Germany

He barely heard the words of the radio as he looked over his maps in his study. He knew to ignore most of the prattle that the propaganda ministry broadcasted and listen for the hidden truth beneath the lies. Rommel marked off another French city now under Allied occupation with his grease pencil and leaned back in his chair. He stared at the marks and studied where the Allies were and where the German army stopped to make a stand.

Silently he wondered how things would turn differently if he had retained his command and implemented his plan to surrender his armeegruppe. He knew he would be in Allied hands, in a prison camp with the rest of his men perhaps, or maybe held somewhere in England being interrogated. Rommel shook his head lightly and knew that the British would not even bother trying to interrogate him. He would not willingly divulge information by brute force. He did suspect that his archenemies, Auchinleck and Montgomery, would like to talk with him and discuss their victories and defeats in North Africa.

"...several conspirators were rooted out and arrested earlier this morning by elements of the Schutzstaffel," he heard the radio say and his mind wandered toward the impending threat closer to home. He had not heard of an investigation into him yet but he knew it would only be a matter of time before they did. In the meantime, all he could do was appear loyal to the Fuhrer and sever any contact with his co-conspirators.

A knock at the front door drew his attention from the ministryâ??s report on the war front and the investigation. He turned in his chair and listened as the orderly answered. Two men were waiting and asked about him, that much he could tell from the snippets of conversation he could hear. He did not recognize the voice of the man that was speaking and felt a familiar chill of foreboding climb down his spine as he spoke;

â??Guten Morgen, ist der GeneralFeldmarschall heim?â?? the visitor inquired.

â??The Feldmarschall is a busy man, may I inquire as to the purpose of your visit, Herr Obersturmbannfuhrer?â??

Schutzstaffel, he dreaded and continued to listen to the conversation. The orderly had spoken loud enough for the whole house to hear, which was no louder than a decimal or two over normal speech. But at least now he and the family knew who had paid them a visit. He suspected that Lucie had stopped whatever she had currently been doing to listen and be ready to take action the moment he hinted it.

"Please inform the Feldmarschall that we come on business from Berlin," the SS officer replied. "May we enter?" There was the creek of the front door opening wider and two pairs of footsteps falling on the wooden floor in the foyer.

"Wait here while I inform the Feldmarschall of your visit," the orderly replied and Rommel heard the man approach his study. He stood from his chair and straightened the wrinkles from his clothes just as the orderly opened the double-doors and entered. The orderly was a middle-aged man with a gimp leg given to him by wounds he sustained on the Eastern Front. He kept himself clean and presentable as a professional soldier and took pride in the fact that he served a GeneralFeldmarschall.

"Mein Feldmarschall?" He needed not say anything further. The orderly knew that Rommel had heard every word said at the door.

"How many more than the two?" he asked.

"Only the two that I could see. If there are others, they will be waiting further out," the orderly answered. "If I may say, sir, they do not appear to have an ulterior motive."

"You know how they are, Hans. But regardless, I will hear what they have to say." The orderly, Hans, stepped back outside and spoke to the two men before admitting them into the study. At a nod from Rommel, he closed the two doors behind them and stood outside. "What can I do for you, gentlemen?" Rommel asked and offered them a drink which they declined.

"We are on orders to bring you to Gener

5. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    Mons, Belgium. With Wulf Geirhardt and his Kommpanie. 22nd July 1944

The train whistle screeched as it prepared to move. Walking German wounded wandered off the car, zombie-like, and were guided by nurses and Doctors and even station masters. Geirhardt's wide-eyed boys opened their eyes even wider at seeing this. Wulf's grizzled senior NCO, an oberfeldwebel named Plitz, grunted his displeasure.
    "Dumkopfs! Couldn't they have unloaded the wounded somewhere else? Now these Junge will be terrified instead of just nervous."
    He half-sighed, half-coughed. A Turkish Cigarette dangling like an extension of his lower lip. He'd long ago used up the delightful Llucky Strike smokes that he'd taken off captured American troops at Normandy. That seemed half a lifetime ago.
    Gierhardt regarded his old comrade. Plitz was, far and away, the oldest man in the battalion. In fact, he'd actually participated in the Invasion of Crete three years ago. He'd actually parachuted out of a plane into a combat situation, which was what the Fallschirmjaeger were supposed to do all along. Until the Luftwaffe was frittered away, that is.
    "Alright! What are you standing around for Ladies? Get moving! Into the train, schnell! Schnell!" He barked out orders and the kids, who in many respects were more frightened of Plitz than the enemy, quickly obeyed and moved into the train cars.
    Inside, Plitz selected a seat and offered it to his superior. The seat was worn slick and threadbare from hundreds of pairs of nomadic buttocks.
    "Sorry sir!" Plitz effected a mock-concilliatory tone "The dining car is not available today. I hope you will forgive the inconvenience!"
    He sat himself down as well.
    "Pointoise, here we come." He said. and allowed himself to drop instantly to sleep.

TAG: Morkai

Ulm, Germany. 22nd July 1944. With Retired Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Von Lang smiled and shook his head sadly.
    "I fear not. FeldMarschall Von Manstein is quite capable in his current position. But what the Fuhrer is considering you for is perhaps an outfit that could use your talents. I speak, of course, of Army Group G, currently commanded by Johannes Blaskowitz."
    He allowed this to sink in.
    "I know, I know. It isn't full of the crack units you are used to. In fact, quite the opposite can be said. It is one of the least operationally viable army groups we have, second only to perhaps Army group North or our armies in Italy. Blaskowitz is the wrong man to lead this army group if it is to make a decent showing of itself in offensive and defensive operations. It needs somebody like Kesselring or Model who can inject some fight into these Junge.
    "And, like Kesselring, the Fuhrer believes you can take this battered, undermanned and undersupplied army group and make it worthy of the great history of Germany. In fact, this is basically a necessity. When the allies discover that they cannot simply bull theri way across the Seine, they will probably attemp to outflank army groups B and even Armed Forces Netherlands. If that happens..."
    He dramatically waved his hand as though wiping out a stain on a window.
    "OB west is destroyed and Germany is truly finished."
    He paused again.
    "That is why we need a top commander there to make sure that the allies do not try to flank through the Vosges and visit ruin upon the western front. It will be a difficult taks, with difficult ground and with poor kit and troops with low morale. But, the Fuhrer, OKW, and OB West all believe that a dose of the Rommel Enthusias may be just the thing to turning this rabble into something of an army group. What say you, Generalfeldmarschall Rommel?"
    Von Lang waited for a response.

TAG: CmdrMtthrawnuruodo

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000

Ulm, Germany

The first thing that came to mind was Tunisia and his beloved Afrika Korps. High Command and the Fuhrer had believed he could defeat a superior enemy with a paper army that was undermanned or underequipped. Now he was being handed a similiar situation where this time they admitted the army was poorly suited for offense or defense but believed his mere presence would be enough to turn such a ragtag army into a juggernaut.

This irked him.

Naively he bluntly laid out his response to the SS General, some of his anger seeping into his tone. "I will do this because it is my duty to defend the fatherland from its enemies, but only if a few conditions are met. First, every effort is to be made to reequip and man this army. My mere presence can only do so much. I can give the men the will to fight, but without the proper manpower or supplies I can only hold off the allies for as long as I could in Afrika. Second, if I believe my only option to prevent an allied breakthrough in the south is by giving ground, I expect not to receive a stand and die order from High Command or the Fuhrer nor will I obey such an order. Third, I expect every General under my command to obey my orders without question. I will not have a repeat of von Arnim undermining my operations because they disagree with me or put their ambitions first and the fatherland second. Fourth, I want to hand pick my staff."

He finished his requests and stood ramrod straight to hide the fact that he was fearful of the backlash he could and possibly would receive for such demands. He knew he was basically demanding complete control of Army Group G and having to answer to no one but the Fuhrer. Drops of sweat trickled down his spine as he waited for Lang's reply.

TAG: Deiskrad

7. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: Sorry I haven't replied lately, my dad screwed up my internet so I am currently having a real hard time connecting the damn thing. That on top of frantically preparing for Year 11 at school and a bucketload of volunteering organising and whatnot.

Will have a post up ASAP

8. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    Ulm, Germany. 22nd July 1944. With Retired Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Von Lang listened to Rommel's list of conditions. His orders were to get Rommel's service, and he had considerable latitude to do so. But He could not allow a complete reinstatement of Rommel's previous staff. Too many were under suspicion of being involved in the attempt on the Fuhrer's life only days ago.
    "Things are a mess in Berlin and at Wolfsschanze. But I can tell you for certain that OKW will not allow General Speidel to continue as your Chief of Staff. He is under suspicion for involvement in the attempt on the Fuhrer's life. However, there are many experienced staff officers who would be more than willing to work for the great Desert Fox. Career-minded individuals, yes. But capable. As to resupplying and re-equipping your army, you sall have it. Army group G will be only third in line for replacements and re-supply. Only Army Groups Center and B will be ahead of you. So, your divisions will be full of Panthers and Assault guns and rations shortly."
    Von Lang picked up a leather map case and set it on his desk, facing the Field Marshal.
    "I'm assuming your cooperation, and if not, I'm assuming your discretion. These are operational maps of the Western Front. All of OB WEst, followed by Army Group G's Sectors, then closer views of 1st and 19th armies orders of battle and disposition under Blaskowitz. This is, of course, top Secret. But we know you to be a man of honor..."
    The positions were sound. Protected by the Saone river, and with defensive terrain in the Vosges and Alps behind, Army Group G was configured for a solid defensive fight against what appeared to be inexperienced or lesser-equipped American Divisions that had landed in the South of France. Still, even these second-string American divisions had almost five times as much mobility. Army Group G seemed to mostly march.

TAG: Mitth

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    GeneralFeldmarschal Erwin Rommel

Ulm, Germany

Feldmarschall Rommel leaned over the map and studied the information presented to him. The 6th US Army and two French armies were to the south of Lyon while Third Army was eastnortheast of the Saone. Everyone knew who commanded that army and Rommel knew they would be the larger threat, especially if the Allies wanted to attempt a breakthrough under the German Army's perverbial skirt. Studying the dispostion of Group G, he realized that he would have to rely more on luck than tactical skill if he wanted to succeed blitzing the enemy. G had hardly any mobility. There was no way they could manuever around an allied advance without being encircled unless they were entrenched, which is what Blaskowitz seemed to believe was the best idea.

The only advantage Army Group G had was the small area it had to defend. He could concentrate his forces and follow Blaskowitz defensive plan and butt heads with the Americans long enough for Army Group B to respond with a counterattack or...

"Where is the nearest Allied supply depot? Do we know?" he asked Lang. He could still go ahead with a blitzkreig with what little mobile divisions he had and leave Blaskowitz immobile divisions entrenched and on the defense. All he had to do, rather than drive off the Allies, who had five times as much mobility and supplies, was to borrow from the enemy to reequip and resupply his troops. If he could gather enough of their troop transports intact, he could turn his marching army into a mobile one.

It wasn't the first time he had to use enemy equipment. He knew his boys could and would adapt quickly to the unfamiliar weapons and vehicles. They had to.

10. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    Ulm Germany, 22nd July 1944

Von Lang placed a pair of reading glasses on and looked at the map.
    "Intelligence estimates are sketchy. The allies have just spent themselves chasing us across France. Our garrisons continue to hold out in all major ports save for Cherbourg. So their supply position is untenable. They've not had time to establish much in the way of forward supply dumps. Professional guess from Intel is that it is somewhere between Roanne and St. Etienne. A good twenty kilometers or so behind Lyon and the front alone the Saone River."
    He flips some transparencies down on the map which outline various topographical and tactical data.
    "that would make sense. It woudl be in accordance with established Allied doctrine. The only question is how much supplies they've been able to hoard in our hypothetical dump. It is no secret that Montgomery and Patton are competing for the lions share of gasoline and munitions. The American Seventh army and the French Armies are obviously quite low on the list for resupply. But if I read Generals Bradley and Patch correctly, I believe they would put their supply dump there."
    Von Lang cheks his watch.
    "I must make a phone call. Feel free to look through any pertinent data. If you need anything, just ask for it. But I would like a firm decision when I return."
    He rises and salutes.
    "Heil Hitler."
    He marches from his office with an Aide de Camp on his heels.

TAG: Mtthrawnuruodo

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I'm trying to get some players for this game for ya Deiskrad. There really is no point in just two people continuing this. Hopefully the people I approached will say yes.

12. Arkaden

Arkaden Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2005
    That's where I step in, I guess... I had a look at what you have previously posted - not all of it, of course, it's pretty long. Sounds interesting though. However, even if the two others (they know who they are) come as well, we'll only be five. Is there a point in playing different factions ? (especially since we'll all be more interested in playing Germans as well). What do you think ?
    Hmm, no time to say more, I gotta go to school.

13. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    *lurks out of the shadows* Hell hath no fury....

...like Sabre after getting his internet to work again! *pumps fist into the air*

I must apologize for such a lengthy absence, and trust me I'm not happy about it myself. But I'm more or less back in action now, so, let's go kill us some Nazi scum!! :p

14. DarthVercetti

DarthVercetti Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    OOC: Sorry for inactivity, will be back soon.

15. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000

Ulm, Germany

The Feldmarschall watched the Schutzstaffel leave the room at the edge of his peripheral vision before straightening up and staring past the closed doors which von Lang had passed through. So they won't let me have Spiedel, he thought to himself. He wondered how long his Chief of Staff had before they came and arrested him. If they suspect him, not long.

Rommel gazed down at the map and questioned why he would delay the Allies in a futile attempt. From the list of supplies and manpower he had available to him, Armeegruppe G was in no shape to stand up against the Allies for long. It was only a matter of time before the Americans broke through the Wehrmacht's flank and sweep around to break it's back.

The young Feldmarschall sat down at the table and absentmindedly flipped through the various maps of the area. He knew that if he chose not to return to active service, he would not only place himself under further scrutiny but he would also place his family in danger. He also knew that deep down he would be abandoning the young men fighting for their very lives if he refused the post. But he also knew that he would be sending many of them to their deaths in a futile attempt to take a supply depot that may or may not even exist.

Rommel paused on a topography map of Southeastern France and Northwestern Italy, Armeegruppe G's area of battle. Regardless of what choice he chose, the men of Armeegruppe G were going to die either way. However if he was in command he could reduce the number of deaths in the long run by simply carrying out his plan and taking the supply depot and then skillfully ambushing the Allies. He knew after a few victories like that he would earn their loyalty and a man with the loyalty of his army could do a lot of things.

He wondered if he still had Armeegruppe B's loyalty.

He pulled the dosseir of Armeegruppe B's commanders from memory and ticked off each one on his hand that was a former Afrikaner. He had a few in command of divisions and quite a lot in lower positions. Certainly his Afrika Korps and all two-hundred thousand of them had surrendered to the Allies in 1943, but a lot more had been on either medical or personal leave at that time. Those men were now serving either at the Eastern Front or in Armeegruppe B, most were in the latter.

If the SS knew what I was planning, they'd shoot me right now, he thought with a small smile.

He would leave those officers and men where they were despite how much he would have liked von Luck or Bayerlein or any of his former Afrikaners to join him in the south. However he would need to pull some familiar faces from his old staff to curb any suspicions of the SS. It would not do any good if he turned around and picked men he had not served with or chose to stick with Blaskowitz staff after his request.

Rommel would have to also carefully select new officers to replace the ones he could not pull from Armeegruppe B. He would definately have to find a reliable and trustworthy Chief of Staff. He wondered if he could fight to have Spiedel returned to duty. Perhaps vouch for his loyalty? He was thankful that he would not have to find a new driver again.

The GeneralFeldmarschall continued to work out the details of his battleplans while he waited for von Lang to return. He would accept the post and hopefully it would not be the last choice he ever made.

16. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    Ulm Germany, 22nd July 1944

The door swung open again and Von Lang strode through, he smiled and bowed at the neck.
    "Herr Feldmarschall, have you reached a decision?"

TAG: Mtthrawnurodo

17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000

Ulm, Germany

The Desert Fox stood and nodded, tugging at the bottom of his jacket to straighten his uniform. "I will accept command of Armeegruppe G. However, I still wish to hand pick my staff and Generalleutnant Speidel is on my list of choices. If I have to I will speak with OKW myself. If there is nothing else, General?"

18. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    22nd July 1944, Ulm Germany

"Done" Von Lang said. "It is agreed. My men will take you back to Herrlingen. All pertinent materials will be delivered to you this afternoon. You must report for duty on the 24th. Thank you and good luck Herr Feldmarschall."
    He extends his hand.

OOC: I can see the others lurking in the darkness. Come on into the light and post.

19. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    OOC: 2 weeks of term left! [face_dancing]

20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000

Herrlingen, Germany

The Desert Fox nodded and shook the SS General's hand before departing from the room. He found it odd that the officer did not try to insist that his former chief of staff could not be a part of his new staff. Rommel furrowed his brows forward in thought as he stepped through the main doors, subconsciously following the Obersturmbannführer and trailed by another SS goon behind him.

The Feldmarschall stepped into the waiting car and said nothing during the journey back home in Herrlingen. He had too much to think about and so little time to act out his crazy ideas. Even if he successfully pulled off a defection and mass surrender like that, he still had things to worry about back home.

He had not considered what would happen to his family. He could not tell Lucy to take Manfred and leave now. The Schutzstaffel would find it too suspicious and prematurely thwart whatever plans he had in mind. They would also find where they had gone and use them as leverage to bring him back to Germany to face punishment. His family would perish before he perished, that much he knew and dreaded.

Erwin believed he could withstand whatever torture the Nazi's could dish out against him. But he would rather die than live knowing that his family was also suffering and dying because of him. As soon as he got him, he would have to discuss with Lucy on how to get them out of Germany when he made his move.

"Have a good day, Herr Feldmarschall," the SS driver said, interrupting Erwin's train of throught. He looked up from his brooding posture to glance out the window and saw his home just outside. Erwin nodded to the driver and opened the side door to leave. But before he could set a foot outside, a vice like grip fastened itself onto his left arm.

"The Gestapo are watching," the Obersturmbannführer said before letting go of Erwin's arm. Erwin was perplexed by the warning and then remembered that the SS and Gestapo were bitter rivals. But then again that did not explain the officer's warning.

"I see," he replied and slid out of the car. He looked back.

"What has recently happened and your behavior prior to your retirement has given the Gestapo enough cause to watch you. I suggest you be careful, Feldmarschall. Germany does not need its greatest hero in their clutches too," the man continued.

"I'll keep that in mind, Herr Obersturmbannführer." Erwin answered and closed the car door. He watched as the vehicle sped off down the road before he started his back to his front door. He looked up to see his wife standing there, patiently and worriedly watching him approach.

"What did they want?" she asked of him as they stepped inside.

"A new command," Erwin answered. "I've been given command of Armeegruppe G. I only have four days to prepare before I have to leave for the front."

"Is that all?"

"Hans Speidel is suspected in the plot," he told her as he sat down on a comfy chair in the den by the fireplace. "I'm told I cannot request him as part of my new staff."

"What about..."

"They are watching, nothing more." Erwin leaned forward and rested on his knees, studying his wife. "From what I have heard and learned, most of my staff is under suspicion, including myself. Speidel is the only one so far that is in deeper waters..."

TBC

Bed time...

21. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    24 July, 1944 Army Group G Headquarters, Chalon-sur-Saone France

Rommel's car rolled to a stop. The Headquarters was a pleasant Chateau on the Saone. The grounds, of course, had been ruined by ruts torn in the earth by Motorcycles, Kubelwagens, Opel Trucks and the like. Several Bomb craters added to this charming atmosphere.
    Unnecessarily, there was an honor guard to meet him. At the end of that, Colonel General Blaskowitz and his staff were there at attention. As Rommel stepped out, they saluted him. As Rommel saluted back Blaskowitz dropped his salute and stepped forward, offering his hand. He smiled, but in his eyes there was a combination of annoyance and relief. Annoyance at being relieved. And relieved for the same reason.
    "Good Day, Herr Feldmarschall. It is good to see you."
    Rommel had never really known Blaskowitz. He'd known he was a competent General, a career soldier, and a professional. He also was known to be reserved, and kept his opinions to himself.
    "The corps commanders will be here later today. For the moment it will be just my staff and I to debrief you. Can I offer you any refreshment?" He figured that Rommel would decline, favoring to get right down to busines. To that end, a pair of soldiers were already bringing gas cans over to refuel the Staff car. The inevitable tour of the front would follow soon after the debriefing. Blaskowitz was competent. Clearly. He'd studied up on Rommel and was ready for him.

TAG: Mitthrawnuruodo

22. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000

Armeegruppe G Hauptquartiers - Chalon-sur-Saone, France

"No thank you," the German Feldmarschall declined the offer and started for the building that housed Blasokwitz headquarters.

"What is the current situation on our front?" he inquired. Erwin knew he would get some of the information that was gathered by reports and encounters and eavesdropping on enemy communications, but he would not know the full picture until he saw it for himself. At least I won't have to wait for my car to be filled, he silently mused at the efficency and competence of Blaskowitz. He wondered about the rest of the General's staff, if they were just as competent.

Erwin understood that he would have to keep some of Blaskowitz staff while he brought in his own trusted officers. Familiar faces made the transition of a new command alot easier and smoother for the commanders and their soldiers. They would not have to completely adjust to new ways and new thinking and that would prevent misunderstandings in orders. In the end it would help reduce the loss of life on their side. Not to mention it would help keep morale up and that was one of the main reasons he was sent here to do.

Bring life back into this army.

He just hoped that the rest of his requests were being carried out. Even if he were to steal supplies from the Allies, it would not be enough to prevent a breakthrough in the long run. One way or another he would need supplies and reinforcements soon. But first he needed to see what was left of this army to determine what he really needed. Pen and paper was fine and dandy if you were a pencil pusher in some warm office back home, but out here everything was different than what was written on a piece of paper. Aside from losses in a scrimish or full out battle, equipment had the tendancy to breakdown and become only useful as spare parts for other broken equipment. Fuel spills occur almost everyday as trucks and panzers hurriedly tried to refuel and accidents always tended to happen when handling ammunition and explosives. With all these "grimlins", as the Allied pilots tended to call such incidents, and others happening everyday; what was written on paper became moot very quickly.

23. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    24 July 1944, Army Group G Headquarters, Chalon-sur-Saone, France

"Of course, Herr Feldmarschall. This way."
    Blaskowitz stepped towards the Chateau. As Rommel followed, his boots sank into the damp earth, he glanced up and the gathered clouds indicated rain. Though it would make for a messy tour, at least the men would not have to worry about allied Jabos.
    Inside the Chateau, Blaskowitz removed his cap from his bald pate and hung it on a coathanger. He then took a place at the head of a table with a large topographical map of the area spread out on it. He put on his glasses and waited for the Field Marshal to come over.
    "Our dispositions are thus." His finger described a red line on the Northern bank of the Saone. Static German divisions were arrayed along the front. several miles behind that were the better divisions: the 271st, 272nd, 276th and 277th Infantry. Some of which were still not fully formed. Concentrated in the northern part of the "Thumb" formed by the Saone, Rhone, and Seine rivers were the Armored Divisions: 2nd SS Panzer, 17th SS Panzergrenadier, 9th Panzer, and 11th Panzer.
    "I had to concentrate our armored forces up there. The ground is particularly unsuitable for fixed defense. The three rivers make the ground so soft that foxholes quickly seal themselves in. They're building log bunkers, and as soon as that's done, I... well, I was PLANNING to move some of the armor down closer to Lyon. I think the French contingent in particular is itching to get Lyon back.
    "The enemy has made several probes, but as yet, has made no concerted effort to cross the rivers. I destroyed all the bridges in the retreat. So, for the moment it's basically an artillery and air duel. They fire over shells, we fire some back. They send over air. We... well herr FEldmarschall, we've got no air really."
    He sighs and goes on.
    "The Corps commanders can get into the specifics of the contents of our worthwhile divisions. I know that the 11th Panzer was supposed to get thirty new Panthers last week. We still haven't got them yet. I've telephoned the Quartermasters, transportation, OB West, and even OKW. They all say they're working on it."
    "when it comes down to it, I think the only reason that they haven't tried crossing yet is because they do not think they are ready, either materially or qualitatively."
    He steps back so that the Field Marshal can look at the map.
    "Shall I summon my staff for you?"

24. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000

Armeegruppe G Hauptquartiers, Chalon-sur-Saone, France

Erwin nodded and while an aide carried out the task to fetch the rest of Blaskowitz staff, the Field Marshal peered closer to the map where he was almost right ontop of it. "I had hoped the bridges would be intact, but I guess that would have been too much to hope for after the massive retreat we did."

He pulled his cap off and set it down on the table at the edge of the map and stood straighter. Members of Blaskowitz staff began to enter and when all of them had arrived he continued. "I have been given promises of reinforcements and fresh supplies, but I am going to assume that promise is going to be broken. So we will need to obtain our own supplies."

The Field Marshal looked at the bald german general, "We'll need to be able to cross the rivers as quickly as possible in a classic blitzkreig. There is a supply depot on the other side of those rivers," he circled a general area south of Lyon with a gloved finger. "How much the Allies have been able to collect at that dump is unknown. Regardless, the fuel, weapons, ammunition and even their Sherman tanks and troop transports can come in handy in defending against them. Not only will it reinforce us, but it will hamper any plans of attack they may have. It'll buy us some time as they rebuild their depot.

"To do this," he continued and placed a finger on Lyon. "I need those bridges rebuilt or temporary ones put in their place. Or a ford is found along the river which our heavier panzers can easily cross. We need to do this before the skies clear again." He looked at the officers present.

"Can it be done?" he asked.

25. Deiskrad

Sep 22, 2004
    Army Group G Headquarters, Chalons-sur-Saone, France. 24 July 1944

An officer stepped forward. Blaskowitz' Chief of Staff, Colonel Voss.
    "Herr Feldmarschall, There are shallo points suitable for fording here and here."
    He indicated two strips of land One in the thumb, and one closer to the point where the three rivers connect.
    "Unfortunately, as the rain is our friend, it is also our enemy. The river has swollen with rain, and those are the only two suitable crossing points for fording at this point.It is a mixed blessing, as the same applies to the Allies. I cannot speak for certain as to our engineering capabilities, but I can guarantee that our Pionieres will be unable to repair or build bridges capable of supporting our tanks in a major operation."
    He stood at parade rest and awaited his Commander's pleasure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.