main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Opinions on Michael A. Stackpole's writing?1

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point_Of_View, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    What's the consensus on Stackpole? Because I just finished the Dark Tide duology and the Corran Horn focus was just painful. It felt almost unprofessional, but I slogged through it because Luceno's duology was next.

The Dark Tide books had a few bright spots (Elegos and Shedo Shai) but mostly they felt somewhat lacking.
    I've never read the X-Wing books or I, Jedi.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    He's fine, I guess.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The X-wing books are my favorite Star Wars books in general. I like Stackpole's take on politics actually (not the focus of the books, but he had a good way of capturing the struggles of the early NR). He also wrote the best dogfights. Oh, and the X-wing comics were great -- particularly the Fel arc.

As for Corran, yeah -- he's a pet character. One of the earliest ones. But by the time of the NJO, it was nice to catch up with a character we knew so well from earlier books so it didn't seem like a problem in the NJO books. By then he was basically a big EU character.

Stackpole wasn't great at writing women, and I think his character work wasn't as good as Allston's in general. But the two X-wing authors had different strengths.

jakobitis89, Sarge, Jedi Ben and 6 others like this.
  4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I don't remember there being that big a focus on Corran. And besides, he is his character. You expect Corran to be focused on.

5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Corran is Stackpole's Mary Sue. He rewrote the Jedi Academy trilogy just so he could stick Corran into the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Corran isn't really a Gary Stu though. He has weaknesses and he isn't always right. But its true, you did always know he would win in the end. But then again the whole new republic basically hated him for it, so it wasn't all good for him.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Between I, Jedi's somewhat-grating nature and the fact that Allston largely blows him out of the water, I feel like Stackpole's writing has gotten a bit of a harsher rep in recent times than it really deserves. As Jello says, while there's some nagging repetitive problems, there's also a lot of things that he does well. I'd add to what he said that while Stackpole's X-Wing novels were less of an ensemble piece than Allston did, there's actually a lot of really enjoyable secondary characters.

(Though I'm not actually certain about how he writes dogfights - it's extremely detailed, but in literary action scenes I find a vaguer evocative style is actually usually better than a blow-by-blow description of who shot what how many times).

AusStig, Sarge and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  8. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Stackpole's fairly good, IMHO; his Wedge is a more palatable take on the character than Allston's, IMHO. And as noted, Stackpole was quite adept at introducing memorable B-list characters (Gavin Darklighter and Asyr Sei'lar foremost, but many others).

AFA Corran favoritism, I'm willing to be forgiving. His lack of telekinesis made for an interesting spin on the "later-in-life Jedi" concept so rampant in Bantam (not to slight that trope - Luke didn't exactly have a ton of young students at that point, nor, IMHO, should he have, given his own lack of teaching experience at the time).

9. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Couldn't disagree more re. the Corran Horn thing.

Such a vast majority of NJO is effectively just the story of the Skywalkers/Solos that it is really refreshing having characters like Corran and Ganner Rhysode have decent parts in a novel. Having someone different is easily one of the highlights of the Dark Tide Duology for me. I don't really understand the complaints about Corran in those novels either, he wasn't portrayed as overly powerful or anything like that so I dunno it may just be because you haven't read any of his other EU stuff that you don't like it?

Anyway it always bugged me that in a 21 book series the focus of NJO was almost always the same family of characters who do all the important things. It could have been so much more and would have been cool if they had have gotten the opportunity to revisit the NJO with novels about other characters during the time period later on.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I prefer Allston, but Stackpole is pretty awesome. He brought us Baron Fel and the Jen'saari, and I love both of those. He arguably qualifies as the other major architect of Bantam's continuity alongside Zahn, who he apparently worked very well with.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    One of the things I liked about Stackpole's work was how he was able to incorporate Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie and the droids without them overtaking the story. He managed to weave them in almost seamlessly while still focusing on Wedge and Rogue Squadron as well as Mirax and Iella. We got to see those characters from a different perspective and they didn't overshadow. Heck, he didn't introduce any new fighter designs or capital ship classes, focusing on the designs both sides had. I developed a better appreciation for Winter and Borsk Fey'lya. He also proved to able to work with writer materials that troubled him and do his utmost to repair what he saw as damaging without alright removing it. It seems he worked very well with Timothy Zahn and Aaron Allston while respectful of Kevin J. Anderson and everyone else's work. I much enjoyed Dark Tide as it gave us the best glimpse of the Yuuzhan Vong and how dishonorable they can be while bringing us up to date with everyone who isn't the main cast without them overshadowing too much.

You can say that Corran Horn was his pet but so is Gavin Darklighter, Tycho Celchu, Aril Nunb, Ooryl Qrygg, Nawara Ven, Mirax Terrik and Traest Kre'fey. He introduced them after all and most been given prominence in later material. Though I'd like to think that if Stackpole had been given an extra chance in the NJO, Ooryl and Aril might've played a role as well (certainly better than most).

[Imagine what've happened if Zahn had been given a chance in the NJO.]

12. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Yes his writing isn't going to be classed amongst the best of the EU/Canon compared to others like Luceno, Zahn etc but Stackpole and the Rogue Squadron books got me into the EU in the first place and will always be amongst my favourites. Whilst Corran was 'his' character to the extent he's the hero pilot then a Jedi etc he did have flaws and screw up plenty of times so whilst he may have been a pet character I don't feel it was so bad as to ruin things. In fact one of the reason I love the series so much is all of the other characters, we get to see Wedge, Ackbar and a cast of new characters take the stage with the big three deployed sparingly. We also got to see many alien characters, something I've always felt we haven't had enough of since, and the fact that not everyone from Corellia was a Han Solo clone, the story covers so many worlds and walks of life that it made the galaxy feel much richer and varied to me. I know it will never happen, but it would be nice to have him write something in SW again, he clearly loved working in the universe.

13. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Like his X-Wing books...and I enjoyed I, Jedi...but he does tend to favor his pet characters in other works.

14. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

And yet they don't overshadow the big seven (Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Lando and the droids).

15. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Stackpole's writing is fine.
    I like Corran. His portrayal is always consistent across all books.
    Corran didn't fall in love with any of the major characters and save him/her all on his own, so he's not really a Mary Sue/Gary Stu.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, that is 100% subjective opinion on my part. I enjoy Stackpole's vivid descriptions of people pressing rudders, lasers splashing on shields, fleet formations, etc. But that's not for everyone, and I admit that on my first reads I enjoyed them, on my rereads I tend to skim dogfights to get back to character scenes.

My own writing of slave combat in fanfic or whatever tends to NOT be Stackpolean at all -- it's more along the lines of what you call "vaguer evocative."

With Stackpole, you know what you're getting. It may not work for everyone but it's a definite style and I think one that works largely.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Ben, Daneira and vncredleader like this.
  17. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Didn't like the whole bit in I Jedi where Corran literally lectures Luke Skywalker on dealing with the dark side

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It helps that later, he realizes that his attitude to the dark side was extremely naive.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like Stackpole a lot. I like the dogfights and the way he writes piloting in general.

But I would like Corran Horn a lot better if I were not being told how awesome he is. Stackpole is not the only author to have a pet character by any stretch of the imagination but that level of focus always backfires with me. For that reason I would say I enjoyed Stackpole's NJO books more than his X-Wing books, because he had to talk about someone other than Corran in his NJO books. (Was it one of the Dark Tide books that focused on Corran's guilt fest pity party? That was the worst of it there.)

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    If you're asking for the consensus, my experience here tells me that he is well loved and considered an all time great Star Wars contributor.

He is not often considered one of the greatest pure writers, but is considered to be good. His X-Wing series of novels (some of which are written by Allston) and comics are among the most beloved in Star Wars fandom.

He hung out with actual pilots (Navy, IIRC), learned actual dogfighting theory and tactics, and implemented them quite competently. He also played a lot of Star Wars: X-Wing, IIRC. I think they're the best written dogfights in Star Wars history.

I'm one of the few, I think, who prefers Stackpole over Allston.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    He's a rare gateway author of mine that I still I appreciate. Yeah, his prose is workman-like at best, his dialogue can be stilted at times, and he definitely prefers heroes some might find excessively competent. But there's a coherency to his worlds that I often find lacking in a lot of action-heavy writing. A very effective balance between character and setting. Lived-in, I guess you could say, which obviously has always been a selling point for Star Wars.

Sarge and Daneira like this.
  22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Stackpole, alongside Allston, made Wedge into an interesting character, and fleshed out Hobbie and Janson. The way Stackpole used Skirmish at Brigia from X-wing as a Rogue Squadron training mission made the universe feel connected.

23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    As others have already said, I think the consensus on Stackpole is that he's pretty good, not one of the top three writers of the old EU (maybe during the Bantam era, but including all of Del Rey, probably not) but I'd say still top ten at least. He helped establish much of the old EU, writing up several quite important post-RotJ novels. His X-wing books are overshadowed by Allston's books, and I can understand why (and mostly agree), but generally pretty well-respected.

I agree with many of the criticisms about Corran, but I didn't mind him too much. Whistler was a bit overpowered too, but it was fun seeing an upgraded police astromech (this was before the prequels had flying Artoo). Also as mentioned his politics weren't bad, serving as important world-building for the New Republic. And I'm still very fond of Bacta War, just for the sheer guts for Rogue Squadron (after resigning from the New Republic) taking on Isard's Super Star Destroyer. It has one of my favorite moments from the old EU, with the PL-1 scene. That was back when the New Republic seemed an obvious huge improvement on the Empire (before the rot set in with the Del Rey era and never left).

Corran lecturing Luke is a little bit annoying, but that was set during the JAT (I think?) so the JAT had a lot of stupid scenes, so it was also kind of nice to see Corran criticizing those scenes. Author's pet, yeah, but JAT had plenty of flaws. It was nice to see Corran as recurring character throughout old EU (Mirax here and there too). I also liked the idea of Jedi having different specialties (and I still remember FotJ throwing that idea out with his daughter because generic is better :rolleyes: ).

Sarge and Daneira like this.
  24. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I read Stackpole because I got the impression of a good consensus about his body of work for SW. I think he's very good at plotting, and he's good at focusing on a small group of characters and giving them character direction and growth. A weakness would be that the larger ensemble surrounding the more developed characters might be accorded greater importance in words and not necessarily in action.

I think Stackpole is very good at plotting, and keeping the story going with incident that keeps the attention. I can only recall two occasions where the story jumps forward quickly when there was an opportunity to flesh out a more interesting potential story alternative. Um...I, Jedi was good and I enjoyed it; however it's one of a very few books were I noticed pacing problems, none of the other books I read by him had anything noticeable in this regard.

25. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Someone fix Leonia Tavira's ship's hyperdrive!