main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Opinions on Splinter of the Mind's Eye?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Orman Tagge, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Interestingly, the Ryder Windham book The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader, suggests that it's Force Lightning rather than "kinetite" - and that this is the first time Vader's been able to create it (thanks to the proximity of the crystal).

2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Enjoyed the book...still read it every now and again.

Would love to see made into a movie...but the question is animated or live action...and if live action who do you get for Luke and Leia?? Hayden as physical Vader and James Earl Jones to do the voice??

whostheBossk and Iron_lord like this.
  3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    An unbelievably readable book.

Jedi Comedian likes this.
  4. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    The comic adaptation of Splinter of the Mind's Eye was the very first EU work I ever read (and indeed, was the book that introduced me to the concept of Star Wars stories that weren't the OT), so it will always hold a special place in my heart. And having since read the novel, I still love it. Sure, there are some weird parts that don't really jibe with the later Star Wars universe, but it's a fun adventure, and it's great getting in the heads of the early Luke and Leia.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I read it in '78 when it was the only new SW material available. At the time, that made it worth its weight in gold. Obviously it's been surpassed in many ways since those days.

6. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Excellent book for what it is. I liked how Leia was so determined to bring Vader down, addressing the issue of how she didn't really react to Alderaan being destroyed after the scene where it happened. Enjoyed the fighting in the caves greatly, really vivid combat all-around. Might re-read actually.

SlashMan, whostheBossk and Iron_lord like this.
  7. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Just about finished, and it's been a pleasant surprise for a first time read. I like the characterizations; I can practically imagine the actor's voicing all their lines, so it feels pretty genuine. It also managed to keep a relatively grounded plot surrounding a magical artifact. The one thing that's unfortunately become dated is the romance with Luke and Leia. Part of me wishes it wasn't retconned for them to be siblings since their relationship is well written.

I noticed a lot of themes recycled for Return of the Jedi, namely the primitive natives versus the technologically advanced Empire. Though it's been made a lot more plausible here by giving a huge terrain advantage to the natives, and mentioning that these Stormtroopers are not among those prepared for a combat scenario. Contrast with how Return of the Jedi states that Endor had the Emperor's best men. The novel also mentions that the most fearsome troops would be the Emperor's Royal Guard, which has to be the first mention before we actually saw such a concept onscreen.

One thing that struck me is how dark and bleak the book can get. I think it would go into R-rated territory if it were ever put to screen. There's a lot of bloody moments: many dismemberments, a brutal eye-gouging, and a graphic scene where an alien gets his head crushed by Leia. There's also the moral ambiguity of war that was never touched upon in the original trilogy. Luke experiences a moral dilemma as the Stormtroopers are being massacred by the natives.

It fits in mostly well in between ANH and Empire. It's a one-off adventure that ultimately resets everything back to the status quo in time for the next movie. Which is no doubt intentional, and follows much of the comic adventures of the time. I think one of the most meaningful additions to the canon is Luke further exploring the Force on his own and utilizing his lightsaber. Having another character attuned to the Force was a smart way to push this forward. While Vader steals the show, I will say that any EU adventures that have Luke facing off against Vader before Bespin take away from the impact of their duel in Empire Strikes Back.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    Gamiel and Sarge like this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @SlashMan it would be interesting to hear your thoughts re. the comic adaptation also

SlashMan likes this.
  9. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Funny enough that's actually on my list. Unfortunately a way's away because it's been confirmed as being included in the Rebellion Vol. 5 Epic Collection, dropping this November:

(Side note, I love the Marvel Epic Collections. They made me excited to collect physical comics again).

Gamiel likes this.
  10. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I read it in 2018. It's an engaging read, but the climax cheapens some things about The Empire Strikes Back.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    You have to keep in mind the when and why it was written for context.

Sarge, SyndicThrass and Darth Dnej like this.