main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Opinions on the EG to Warfare?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by darthbarracuda, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    It looks like an interesting book, and it has pretty cool pictures.

Does anyone here have it? Is it any good? Worth it? Or does it just make it even more confusing?

I'm also on a never-ending rant on how the tactics of Star Wars aren't very good. Like the technology and tactics don't match each other. Does this book clear up any of that? Any tactics?

Thanks

2. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's very interessint and provides important information, also the illustrations are great, sometimes it's just a bit "minimalistic". ;)

darthbarracuda likes this.
  3. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    OK...one opinion........

4. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I've no clue of the book you speak of, :p

5. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    The Essential Guide to Warfare

6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I love the book.

7. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    It's a great book.

8. Darthrevan4ever

Darthrevan4ever Jedi Master star 6

May 3, 2008
    Its a very detailed book, giving us the history of the warfare. Classifications of star ships and a guide to many of the wars that have burned the galaxy, now it goes into some detail on the tactics of ancient battles yet not going into to much for modern ones. I have to say that i you haven't develed to far into the EU tactics do seem dumb/ strange. This book may help, but if you really want to see why the tactics are there the EU novels tend to help paint a better picture but this book is a very interesting read and is a step in the direction to helping understand

9. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Could you give some examples? Like why everyone just runs at each other in medieval-style formations? Or why the firepower of the tanks etc seem to match those of WWI and WWII? I mean, don't they have like high powered lasers that can precisely target an individual? Or why they don't use atomic bombs often?

10. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Simply put, it's because they're movies and the battle styles look cool. A mob of charging Jedi looked great on Geonosis, while at the same time I was willing to look past the fact that the clones and droids were fighting a Napoleonic battle outside.

It's about set-piece slowly paced battles serving as the backdrop to what the rest of your characters are doing. Having nukes going off or pinpoint insta-kill lasers kind of defeats the purpose.

That being said, the book keeps its explanations within the universe set up by those boundaries. It does provide logical descriptions of some historical GFFA military campaigns which I quite enjoyed. I'd say eye it up at a local Barnes and Noble before it goes under and see if it's your thing.

11. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Like most of the time the capital ships might be too busy fighting the enemy ships that they can't do orbital bombardments? Or if they did start bombing, the enemy eventually learn and later would just raise the shield, forcing you to land your troops and fight Napolionic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.