main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Opinions.. Why Dooku isn't as cool as Darth Maul.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Talon_WildCard, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon_WildCard

Talon_WildCard Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2003
    I was just thinking about this and I just had to post it!
    Ok.. I don't know what the fan reactions were to Count Dooku aka Darth Tyrannus, but I just think the reason GL chose an older more conservative new sith for AOTC is because the fans liked Darth Maul just a little too much. I think that he knew that he could not go over the top with a new innovative sith character because nothing would live up to Darth Maul in the fan's minds. Instead of trying I think he just chose to throw in a normal ole Jedi baddy rather than soup him all up and try to dazzle us with another Maul type sith. I would have really loved to see what Lucas could come up with to blow DM out of the water but I guess he just decided best not to. What do you guys think.??????

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I never thought about it that way ... but yeah, you do have a point. I liked Darth Maul better because, well, he was just basically a fighting machine ;). And he had loads of cool moves. But Dooku is only more 'conservative' in terms of dress style. Lightsaber-wise he's a whole lot better. Plus he gets to use Force lightning :D.

But they are two different 'types' of Sith, if there's such thing. I find both cool in their own way :D. I'd like to see what GL could've done to top Maul in his category but I think the repetition would make it rather boring.

3. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    I like Dooku over Maul.
    Maul was just a tool, on the other hand, Dooku, a former Jedi Master, is scheaming alongside his Master, is a more dangerous, wise and powerfull menace than Maul.

And Besides, Darth Maul wasn't the vision of GL, but of an inovative concept designer.

4. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    >>>>>>>>>I like Dooku over Maul.
    Maul was just a tool, on the other hand, Dooku, a former Jedi Master, is scheaming alongside his Master, is a more dangerous, wise and powerfull menace than Maul. <<<<<<<<<<<<

I agree 100%

5. darth_obawan

darth_obawan Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    Darth Maul is a lot sexier. :D

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Maybe a better title for this thread would be 'Who is cooler, Dooku or Maul?'

Just my opinion, though :) I like them both, so I guess that's not much help :p Maul represents more of the animalistic, physical aspects of the Dark Side, wheras Dooku is closer to the Sidious ideal in terms of skill and cunning.

7. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Darth Maul is red.

Darth Maul has horns.

Darth Maul doesn't brush his teeth.

Darth Maul has a double-bladed lightsaber.

Darth Maul uses the Dark Side.

Darth Maul...is James Dean James without the above. ;) [face_laugh] :p

Ken Kenobi- And you have a day ;)

8. Dagobah1234

Dagobah1234 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Oh boy . . . .

9. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I like Count Dooku better than Darth Maul because he has more screen-time, more dialogue and displayed his true power by defeating two Jedi Knights and escaping another one.

10. Frank_Booth

Frank_Booth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    Count DooDoo is a nothing role.

Anyone could have played it, George should have written Christopher Lee a real part instead of a cameo as a middle man of Palpatine.

There is nothing memorable about Dooku. The only thing of interest in him is the actor playing him. Dooku has no personality to speak of, Maul commanded attention merely standing still between opening doors or pacing like a caged tiger.

11. BobaFett0000

BobaFett0000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2001
    I agree with Frank_Booth. Maul looked cooler, he had a better lightsaber, and his acrobatic fighting style from TPM was really cool.

12. debeautimous

debeautimous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Darth Maul is mysterious and yes very sexy. The one line he had made me want to know more. But Count Dooku definitely suits the storyline better than another Darth Maul type character.

13. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Maul looks so evil, he's like an evil double bladed sith. demon. Lee just looks like a normal guy.

14. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    That's part of the charm. Evil doesn't always come pre-packaged with horns and a forked tail.

15. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I like Dooku better also. Maul has that whole "strong but stupid" thing going for him. Dooku's smart and strong as well. To me, that's a lot more impressive than big boogeyman Mauly.

Maul: Grunt grunt. Yes Master.

16. JediDa-cam18

JediDa-cam18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2001
    Well I like style over substance so Ill go with Darth Maul, I mean he took on two Jedi at the same time and almost won, he was a badass. Dooku though overall is more powerful and more interesting of a character though.

17. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Darth Maul: Cold, quiet, and calcuating. Add to the fact he is a relentlessly fearsome warrior and was bred from birth to be the perfect organic weapon.

But on top of that you can't say he's devoid utterly of humanity. Judging by the conversation on the balcony during TPM I'm sure he consulted with Sidious all the same. :)

[b]Darth Tyranus[/b]: Agonizinly polite and sarcastic yet arrogent. Add to the fact he was corrupted to the Darkside mainly due to political issues and you have a complex and fasincinating character. He is also a mastermind and a professional schemer. [face_cool]

So I think both of these Sith no matter how different are both really cool. Its also ignorant to automaticly assume Dooku could oust Maul in a duel. Maul as is the norm for a Sithlord let his pompous attitude get the best of him and he neglected to kill Obi Wan when he had him down. Both their styles are as different as their personalitys.

[b]It would be a good fight.[/b]
    [face_grin]
    <[-]> Saber

18. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Damn good fight. I even wrote a fan-fic about it a couple months ago. Dooku won in the end, but it wasn't easy.

19. Talon_WildCard

Talon_WildCard Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2003
    Thanks for the posts Guys. I guess I really should have titled the Post "who is cooler, Maul or Dooku?", but I was a little biased at the onset of the idea.
    I really wasn't speaking about a fight between the two of them in my original post. I was really looking in terms of Character originality.. Because Maul was so over the top and a recognized fan phenom, I just believed that Dooku was a way of GL conceding that he couldn't out-do Maul.

>>>>And Besides, Darth Maul wasn't the vision of GL, but of an inovative concept designer. <<<<< Ktulu_Terumo?????
    Common man everyone that posts in these forums knows that you can't just make a statement like that without some kind of follow up link or something.. Is this a widely known fact in the SW community.. if not help me out here.

20. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Talon... it's not like Lucas draws all his characters and ships. He has a team of artists who he gives a general idea to and he gives them input until he's satisfied.

If I was writing a story, I could never do it that way, but it's the way Lucas does it.

21. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    The Art of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

I can't get my hands on my copy right now, but it's true. Check it out. :)

22. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    Dooku was a better overall chracter all darth maul did was say a few lines kill one jedi then get french fried by obi-wan kenobi,dooku is a better overall villian he a master with alot of life experince power an knolegde,maul was way to overconfindant.

23. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    I like Dooku - he is intelligent. IMO intelligence is a typical character feature for the Sith and honestly - can anyone blame Darth Maul to be intelligent. He was just an ugly killing machine, finally relatively easy to beat.

24. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    IMHO, I found Dooku too conservative...no mystery to him...even Sidious was more interesting.

25. RODIMUS-PRIME

RODIMUS-PRIME Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2003
    Personally, I like Dooku a lot better than Maul. The only 2 things cool about Maul, IMO, were his saber and his face. As for Dooku, he's got a cool "alias" (Darth Tyrannus, I thought sounded badass) a cool saber, and the actor is Christopher Lee! I think the only person who could have pulled off the part better would have been Sean Connery. But, to stay on topic, I liked Dooku a lot more than I liked Maul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.