main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Opinions.. Why Dooku isn't as cool as Darth Maul.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Talon_WildCard, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Both Dooku and Maul have something special about them. Maul is scary, cool, great swordsman (and sexy, too! [face_love] ;)) - but what my problem with his character is, that he's too one-dimensional. He's basically a living weapon, a killing machine. I remember some of his lines which were cut from TPM - and I think it was a bad move, because it would show that he can at least think by himself and not just blindly obey Sidious's orders. In the scene where the Neimoidians are walking with Maul through the hallway and talking to Sidious's hologram, Maul says "I feel there is more to this, My Master. The two Jedi may be
    using the Queen for their own purposes." Sidious then replies, "The Jedi cannot become involved. They can only protect the Queen. Even Qui-Gon Jinn will not break that conenant.... This will work to our advantage..." Later in the movie, when the Neimoidians watch the Naboo soldiers ambush the droids on the Theed plaza, and Nute Gunray says "I thought the battle was taking place far from here. This is too close." After that, Maul says "DARTH MAUL: I told you there was more to this... the Jedi are involved." See? Just two lines and it would add some depth to the character.

Dooku, on the other hand, is completely different. His character is very complex, no one knows who's side he is REALLY on. He's cunning, he's intelligent, he's a great psychologist - and plus, he's a great swordsman. True, Maul has cooler moves, but do you know any other 80-year-old guy that fights like Christopher Lee? I don't think so. If he were 40 years younger, he'd beat Maul in a blink of an eye. ;) Dooku is a villain par excellence.

So, if you mean "cool", then yes, Maul is cooler than Dooku. But if you mean "better villain", then it's definitely Dooku.

2. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Dooku is a villain par excellence.

Truer words where never spoken.

Talon_WildCard, if you own a copy of THE ART OF THE PHANTOM MENACE or if you own TPM DVD or VHS wich came with a small version of it, you can find what I wrote is true.
    Or else, look for the info int the SW official homepage or at TF.N database.

GL asked the artist(I don't remember his name ,sorry) to draw his must scariest nigthmare. The result was too much so GL ask for his SECOND. Then Darth Maul's first concept was created. The artist started to draw tatooed paterns on production people faces(Even Rick McCallum's)

After several designs, the one whe came to know as Maul was created, but at first, instead of horns, Maul was to have feathers on his head. GL decided later the horns would be more appealing.

3. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    I especially enjoyed Dooku given that he provides a nice transition between Maul's "flashy" style of fighting and the "classic" style in the OT. Also, I thought it was brilliant when Dooku asked Obi-Wan to join him in defeating the Sith. It reminded me so much of when Vader asked Luke to join him in defeating the Emperor. Dooku was only doing that so he could be the master of the Sith Order. Maul didn't seem that kind of Sith. As others said, he was just a weapon for Sideous to use.

4. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    "That's part of the charm. Evil doesn't always come pre-packaged with horns and a forked tail. "

Treu but I'd say that pre-packed look made Maul so popular.

5. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    I don't perfer either one. I liked Darth Maul and Darth Tyranus both equally. :) Thy're both really good bad guys.

6. OT-Loyalist

OT-Loyalist Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2003
    Dooku reminded me of a James Bond villain. The type that loved to talk you ear off before they tried to kill you.

Maul is just some thug who'd whip on you in gym class. A brute.

A truly great villian would be somewhere in between (Vader)

7. Talon_WildCard

Talon_WildCard Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2003
    Thanks Terumo.. I checked it out and it is very interesting. I know that Lucas doesn't come up with all the characters but I figured he at least was the one to give DM some of his other character attributes(yes I know they are slim)other than appearance.

^^^OT_Loyalist... I totally agree.

8. DARTH_ABBADON

DARTH_ABBADON Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 9, 2002
    Dooku reminded me of a James Bond villain. The type that loved to talk you ear off before they tried to kill you.

A Bond villian, eh? . . . . You mean kind of like Scarmanga from The Man with the Golden Gun? :D

I too was swept up in the Darth Maul phase at first but ever since I saw Chris Lee for that one second in an early AOTC trailer, I was hooked. Dooku to me represents the epitomy of cool. He's cunning, smart, decitful, and he's damn fine with a blade. I had a long running debate with someone over at the TPM forum about who would win, Maul or Dooku. Fun stuff. And since he's not here let's just say I won. :p

9. OT-Loyalist

OT-Loyalist Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2003
    When Dooku tied up Obi/Ani/Padme in the arena to execute them,it reminded me of a set-up from a James Bond Movie.

This kind of set-up was spoofed in the Austin Powers Movies quite brilliantly. (Tying up Austin over a pit with sharks with laser beams attached to their heads)

Hey Dooku, why don't you just slice them in two while you had a chance? What, are you trying to get style points?

(Good point Darth_Abbadon. It seams Christopher Lee is used to this type of role :)

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Christopher Lee is a GREAT actor. I loved him as Dooku and I loved him as Saruman. :D

Let's hope he doesn't die before Episode III... :p (not that he looks like it - he's in excellent form, for someone over 80)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.