main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Optimism and Pessimism

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Aug 12, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, sweet and sour candy in many different colors.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Take it to the US hates black men thread, please.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

I just LOL'd big time. Many people in LACWAC have told me otherwise...like a million times. I was placed in the very exclusive TCW Haters Club.

(seriously anyone who knows my history on any of the boards will chuckle at me being called an optimist)

Of course, I assume you're not aware of this because you generally don't hang out anywhere other than the JCC. Totally understandable.

Maybe I'm naturally an optimist...but I think I was nurtured on quite a bit of pessimism. Like, almost entirely on pessimism.

I think it's more accurate to say I'm a realist, and I don't care to think about things like optimism and pessimism. I never really think about the world, or metaphysics, philosophy, or any of that stuff. I'm sure I have some sort of world view, I'm just not particularly aware of it, because I hardly ever think about it. I'm an atheist (even though I rarely use that term to describe myself unless it's necessary) simply because I am and always have been, not because I spent a whole lot of time thinking about it and then chose not to believe in deities.

hey Ramza you know terms for **** like this, what would you call me? You know, other than just lazy. I know I'm a bit of a philistine, but I don't think that's entirely accurate. I can never find the right word. Materialistic? But that has a connotation involving a focus on money, which has never been me either. Hedonist? Somewhat. I'm certainly apathetic, like all the time.

I just want one term I can use to put myself in a little box, even though I don't really care enough to actually think about who I am enough to actually figure it out or put a label on myself (I just want it for convenience). I mean, I know I'm doing it right now, but this is a pretty lazy and shallow exercise, so I don't think it counts.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Meh. We had more fun in there.

"Let's analyze the theme and tone and imagery of this brilliant cartoon" is always trumped by "What the hell did I just watch?"

Laughter in the face of snark is optimism.

It was the TV Cartoon Optimism Club.

Or something.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You are using far too many acronyms.

The post I referred to was more on the optimistic side.

Reject the term "atheist". You shouldn't need a term for something you don't believe in. Because if you do, imagine the amount of labels people would need. Do you believe in Santa? The Tooth Fairy? A giant pink bunny following you around? Well, if not, you need labels for all.

6. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    So it would be best then to just not think about the meaning of life and all that jazz?

What about world events and other tragic things that happen in other countries? Should you just ignore those too?

As for an earlier remark...NO. I am NOT, in any capacity, contemplating suicide. Recent events have just made me think, is all.

Though I won't lie that I am a little depressed, at the moment.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Truth? Yes.

I don't watch the news. If I did, I'd be depressed. I found out about Robin Williams here and on Facebook, which are the only sites I visit on the Internet unless I'm at work.

As far as the meaning of life--we're here, we do the best we can and try to laugh as much as possible.

That's all I've got really.

8. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    (a) It is vitally important to think about the meaning of life.
    (b) There is no reason to avoid world events and other tragic things that happen -- but you'd be silly to think they're the only things that happen in the world, or that they're even a majority.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm a straight up optimist. Life is just... life. Its awesome

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Indeed. ****** things get on the news because they are the oddity, not the norm. man goes to work, has uneventful day, returns home isn't as grabbing as five alarm apartment fire injures two. Which one happens more often?

11. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, I've never cared for it, it's just something I sometimes fall back on when questioned by religious folks about my "beliefs" (I generally don't have any). Atheism is just sorta the popular term, it's something they recognize (as teh evil, but I couldn't care less), it's just easier sometimes.

I certainly don't identify as atheist (I know I never used the term for myself until my twenties, despite it applying to my whole life), simply because I don't give a ****.

Saying I don't care is more accurate than saying I'm an atheist.

"Hey CT, what do you think about religion and spirituality? Are you a Christian, agnostic, atheist, or what?"
    "Oh, I don't care."
    "Yeah, but what do you think?"
    "I don't."

Often it's just easier to say I'm an atheist and put an end to the topic.
    I don't know if it is "best", and I can't say what you should do, but it's generally what I do. Not really because thinking about it is THE WORST THING EVER and sends me into a depression/dissociation/dissonance, but because I find the meaning of life and all that jazz...well, uninteresting, unimportant, and generally a poor waste of time.

Oh, I don't care. I'm usually the last to know, I don't follow the news at all. It's sorta sad/hilarious (depending on your pov) that I get much of my news from the JCC. Thanks for all the bad news, Juliet! And thanks to the rest of you for alerting me every time there's a shooting or whatever, otherwise I'd probably never know.

I generally ignore them, not because I should, but because I don't really care.

This doesn't just apply to world events and things happening in other countries, but things happening in my own country/state as well.

It's not that I don't have any empathy and feel no compassion for the suffering of others, far from it, I just...don't care. I certainly don't dwell on it.

How hard is it to ignore some tragedy? They happen every day, it's a big planet with like seven billion people. Odds are something bad is happening all the time. (at the same time I agree with Diggy and Saintheart that it's not the norm, major tragedy does not represent the majority of reality, imo)

"Just another tragedy, *yawn*, what else is going on? Oh hey, it's some person/movie/book/tv/video game/sport/other thing I'm actually interested in." And that's how it's done, it's just that simple.

Again, I'm not saying this is what *you* should do, it's just what I generally do. As a disclaimer I have to say I'm not advising you, it would be foolish to take advice from me.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Breaking news at 11. Something went TERRIBLY WRONG in Charlotte today. A 23-year-old man was hit by a Chevrolet Suburban while walking blindfolded across Tryon Street during rush hour and attempting to text on his iPhone 4S using his teeth. Such a tragedy, he might have successfully sent his text message of "Your ass is mine!" if he would trade that phone for a much larger Galaxy Notebook. Meanwhile, scalpers who are confused as to the location of Bank of America Stadium are currently turning his pockets inside out looking for Panthers tickets. Emergency crews are on their way as we speak."

No thanks, I'll pass.

The best part about getting my news from the JC is that you all think plane crashes and bombings are funny.

Healer_Leona , harpua and CT-867-5309 like this.
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Sounds like physicalism (The new, nicer context word for materialism) brought about by not being overly concerned. "Naïve physicalism" if I was trying to give you a really punchy-sounding box. That doesn't really address the optimism/pessimism axis, though, because that's either 1. a kind of psychological vaguely intuitive classification metric to describe general outlook or 2. two really not well defined philosophical traditions relating to fundamental ontological questions which nobody ITT is taking into consideration. The OP is placing a weird and unjustified emphasis on the concept IMO.

14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Thanks, Ramza!

Sounds right to me, you have given new meaning to my life. I totally bookmarked that page, even though I'll probably never read it because tl;dr.

No really, thanks.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Often, though, the perky happy types are overcompensating for something going on inside. There's such an awful and stupid stigma attached to depression that people often go to great lengths to hide it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I'd consider myself a realist, alright? But in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist... I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself - we are creatures that should not exist by natural law... We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, that accretion of sensory experience and feelings, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everbody's nobody... I think the honorable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming. Stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction - one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.

17. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    ugh i hate optimists

Darth Guy likes this.
  18. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I think life sucks and the world is full of **** but we should try to do the best with the time we have. Of course there are bad moments and it's ok to be angry and/or sad, but that shouldn't be our default state of mind. The way I see it, I got my health, good friends and time to enjoy both, so those are good things. It balances out in the end. I don't poop rainbows or prance around giddily, but I'm not an Eeyore either :p

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Breaking news: fewer people dying of preventable diseases and folks have a higher standard of living than any time in history.

That's not very exciting news though. If you think tragedies are the only thing that's happening in the world and that we're all doomed to die, you're not a pessimist. You're just fixated on the terrible.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If more people pooped rainbows the world would be a better place.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We should all eat more Skittles.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Froot Loops cause rainbow poop, as well.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Excessively happy people threaten me. It just seems like a façade.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I'm pretty optimistic that this thread sucks.

#amidoinitrite?

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

You know you all want to try that and see what happens.

Juliet316 likes this.