main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Optimism and Pessimism

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Aug 12, 2014.

1. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    The bakery on my street sells a cake that looks exactly like that and it is delicious.=P~

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Optimism... what is that again?

:p

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Definitely not the ****** things

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    How was your day, my friend?

5. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Went to work, had an uneventful day, came home

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    BREAKING NEWS

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Sometimes, you have to watch a happy feel goody movie in order to have some optimism.

8. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    This is the great lesson the depressive learns: Nothing in the world is inherently compelling. Whatever may be really “out there” cannot project itself as an affective experience. It is all a vacuous affair with only a chemical prestige. Nothing is either good or bad, desirable or undesirable, or anything else except that it is made so by laboratories inside us producing the emotions on which we l...ive. And to live on our emotions is to live arbitrarily, inaccurately—imparting meaning to what has none of its own. Yet what other way is there to live? Without the ever-clanking machinery of emotion, everything would come to a standstill. There would be nothing to do, nowhere to go, nothing to be, and no one to know. The alternatives are clear: to live falsely as pawns of affect, or to live factually as depressives, or as individuals who know what is known to the depressive. How advantageous that we are not coerced into choosing one or the other, neither choice being excellent. One look at human existence is proof enough that our species will not be released from the stranglehold of emotionalism that anchors it to hallucinations. That may be no way to live, but to opt for depression would be to opt out of existence as we consciously know it.”

― Thomas Ligotti