main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Options ---- Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, mission -- COMPLETE -- 21-Oct-2007

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Options
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: Drama, Humor, Romance
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, OCs
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, options
    Summary: Qui-Gon options for a marriage. Obi-Wan is upset.
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I?m just playing in their sandbox

Mayb Oeschus Arimba took her seat at the table. She looked carefully at this new suitor who sat across from her in the plain, white interview room. She lazily leaned forward over the table between them. He did not react. She sat back, all business again.

"So, you wish to purchase on option on a marriage contract?"

"Yes," he answered. He had a pleasant voice and a mild expression. He was also a bit older than Mayb would have preferred, but not completely out of her range.

"And. . . .you?re a Jedi Knight?"

"Yes. A Jedi Master actually."

Mayb blinked. "Is that better than a Jedi Knight?"

"Not precisely better. But in terms of experience and rank, I suppose you could say that."

Mayb wondered what experience had anything to do with being better. From the looks of this suitor, 'experience' only meant 'older'. She openly looked him over. Annoyingly, he did not seem to mind. Mayb expected people to be a little nervous when she eyed at them critically.

He had pale, tan skin and long brown hair, fading in places. He had facial hair, on his chin and under his nose, that looked scratchy. Obviously, he just let it grow there on its own with no modifications. He was incredibly plainly dressed. Tall, dark brown work boots, worn brown pants, dusty-white shirt and long scarves over his shoulders and tied around his waist. The belt and pouches over that did not match his boots. On top of all that was a coarse brown, hooded robe that now hung off the back of the chair he sat in.

She supposed this his clothes were 'comfortable', but fashion had nothing to do with that outfit. Nor was the way his hair was tied back in a simple tail on the back of his head. Sadly, one reason why people sought marriage contracts was because they were incapable of attracting a suitable partner on their own. He had the look of a socially inept scholar, but Mayb did not allow any trace of disdain to show.

He was older, much older than she was; late middle years for a Human. At least he looked Human like she was. Mayb glanced down at the application summary on the little screen of the data link before her.

Name: Qui-Gon Jinn
    Species: Human
    Profession: Jedi. . . .

While there was the usual descriptive information along with a general declaration of good health, there were quite of lot of things missing. Most notably, 'none' was listed for property owned and there was no income listed other than a 'fixed stipend', whatever that meant.

How can this man afford a wife?

At the bottom of the application was a cleared and approved credit deposit, in full, for the option to negotiate a marriage contract with her. An addendum included the proposed marriage contract itself, should she accept. She looked back up at him, and his simple and extremely plain clothes. Though he was bearded, with long, un-styled hair, it was at least tidy. She would have ended the interview immediately if he had unkempt hair.

He has to get his money from somewhere. And Jedi are supposed to be honest, so it can?t be anything too shady.

She absolutely discounted the idea that he owned no property at all. It was simply impossible for anyone to own nothing unless they were some kind of drooling fanatic, and Qui-Gon Jinn was obviously not that. He must have misunderstood the question, probably thinking it only referred to a certain type of property like planetary land or a bus

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh - my - shakes head. Wow.

Obi-Wan kind of laid into Qui-Gon didn't he - and got smacked down, too.

This is going to be interesting.......

3. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    That sounds really interesting!

From the looks of this suitor, 'experience' only meant 'older'.
    [face_laugh]

She sighed and began, starting with the simplest question that might discourage him.

"I have to blunt about this at the beginning, but aren?t all Jedi eunuchs?"

His eyes widened. It was so easy to catch men by surprise by questioning their manhood, she thought. This man was apparently just as insecure about his manliness as the next one. Mayb was mostly sure that this particular rumor about Jedi was not true, but it had been handy for getting the upper hand with him.

"No. They are not. I assure you, I am quite intact," he stated. He did not look too upset, she noted, but his response was emphatic. She could demand his medical records later, anyway.

Great!!! [face_laugh] I almost fell from my chair reading this - that was so funny! [face_laugh]

Poor Mayb - I also think that Qui-Gon overdid it a bit. She probably will be really disappointed when Qui-Gon doesn't marry her at the end.

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Uh oh, what has Qui-Gon gotten himself into now?

I have a bad feeling this arrangement is going to be more than he bargained for.

I hope he doesn't end up breaking poor Mayb's heart.

Please PM me when you update [face_praying]

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    "I have to blunt about this at the beginning, but aren?t all Jedi eunuchs?"

His eyes widened. It was so easy to catch men by surprise by questioning their manhood, she thought. This man was apparently just as insecure about his manliness as the next one. Mayb was mostly sure that this particular rumor about Jedi was not true, but it had been handy for getting the upper hand with him.

"No. They are not. I assure you, I am quite intact," he stated. He did not look too upset, she noted, but his response was emphatic. She could demand his medical records later, anyway.

Loved it. [face_laugh]

Please PM me when you update!

=D=

6. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    Well... this seems certainly to be a first even for
    Qui-Gon... he really takes unorthodox to the next level doesn't he?

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    "We will continue with this as long as necessary, Padawan. Furthermore, you will not say anything about this or our mission to Mayb unless I am present. Is that clear?"

Obi-Wan glared back for only a moment before lowering his eyes and looking to the side.

"Yes, Master," he acknowledged quietly.

That could get sticky especially if the woman wanted to do more than a kiss.

Good job.

8. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Well, ladies, you've said it all.

*waves hand at ardavenport* You will find it beneficial to PM this reader when you update.[face_batting]

9. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Poor thing, mind-whammied into infatuation with Qui-Gon in order to avoid an unseen danger. Additional complications may ensue if she really falls for him.

I don't think I blame Obi-Wan for his objections. It does seem unethical to toy with a person's emotions that way, but Qui-Gon is pragmatic enough to do what has to be done.

Will you be doing PMs? If so, I'd like one, please!

10. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Valairy_Scot: Interesting it shall be. [face_mischief] Thanks for reading!

Fifilla: Thank-you! Qui-Gon is a powerful Jedi and hard to say 'no' to.

KELIA: Thanks! I don't think Qui-Gon is going to be breaking hearts right away. [face_mischief]

VaderLVR64: Glad you liked it. Thanks for reading!

ClaudiaR: Thanks for the reply! Yes, he's unorthodox, but he really must have gotten out of line sometimes to earn his 'rogue' reputation.

dianethx: Thanks! This mission will definitely have some wrong turns in it. [face_mischief].

ratna: Thanks for reading! :)

Ara-gon: Oh, Obi-Wan has and will have plenty of reason to be unhappy with his master on this mission. Thanks for the reply!

Current PM List

KELIA
    VaderLVR64
    ratna
    Ara-gon

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

=== oO%*%Oo ==%%%== oO%*%Oo ==%%%== oO%*%Oo === - - Part 2

Qui-Gon noticed the droid watching them as he was giving the waiter his order for dinner. Mayb immediately asked for the same thing he was having. Obi-Wan had something different.

If the droid was trying to conceal itself, then it clearly was not programmed for it. It had positioned itself across the walkway from the open-air tables of the restaurant they sat at and it kept swivelling and extending it's head to peer around the passersby; the constant motion made it easy to spot. It was also painted rather obviously in the Yube Krim Academy colors of light blue and reddish-purple. Qui-Gon presumed that Dean Hawxol had not had time to get anyone competent to follow them.

Mayb talked about the types of food she liked.

"I know julaberries are popular but the purple ones are a bit sweet. Do you prefer the red, purple or mauve ones?"

"I do not have a preference. But I believe that Obi-Wan prefers the pink ones."

Obi-Wan glanced up from his sulk long enough for Qui-Gon to catch his attention with a quick glance, head twitch and a lifted finger.

"Pink? I've never heard of pink ones before. You're making that up," Mayb replied teasingly.

"They have them on Coruscant," Qui-Gon reassured her. "Apparently they are quite popular, especially as garnishes for desserts. I've heard that they come in a pale orange variety as well."

Obi-Wan's eyes widened only briefly. He lowered his head and tapped his nose, indicating that he had seen the droid as well, but he said nothing, nor did he offer any comment about what other types of julaberries he liked.

"Oh, I suppose I will find out about that when we get there. When will that be?" Mayb inquired, her blue-green eyes wide. Qui-Gon suppressed a sigh. He had already told her that they were finishing their mission. Twice. But Mayb had her own desires about where she would like to go. Coruscant was only one destination that she had hinted about.

"After our mission is complete," he answered. Hopefully long before then they could deliver Mayb Oeschus Arimba to safety. But Hawxol's apparent attempt to follow them was a new problem. How important was Mayb to him? Would the droid be followed by a more professional pursuer?

"Oh, I'm sure you will find time to take a break from all that. Searching the whole galaxy for only two people must be tedious and they might turn up on their own anyway."

Qui-Gon supposed this might be one way of looking at it, since PohPoh Yinis and Al Binoka were already dead. The search for the two had been their original mission, but it served now as a convenient deception, disguising their real purpose. The discovery of their deaths was known only to a very few people. Now they sought the slavers who had been kidnaping Republic citizens for profit, and presumably they had killed Yinis and Binoka as well.

Mayb lowered her eyes. "I don't want you to think I'm poorly educated or. . . .backward, but," she lifted her eyes to him. "I've never actually been to Coruscant before," she sighed.

"I know all the protocols, of course," Mayb went on. "I interned at the Grand Elphine as a celebration interviewer on Tut'Lu, which is only a sector capital, I know, but you have to admit that it is similar to Coruscant. It certainly has a lot of embassies. But the position I was interning for wasn't really for me. It's amazing how many people think they have talent. It was so difficult to keep myself in from laughing at them sometimes. . . ."

Qui-Gon raised a hand and pointed at the waiter-droid, arriving with their appetizers. Mayb paused long enough for them to be served and went on about her time on Tut'Lu.

"I have been to the Aftes before; Mount Tut'Sent is quite impressive," he commented when Mayb stopped to sample a bit of salad.

"Oh." Mayb swallowed the dainty morsel she was chewing. "That huge purple peak over Tut'Lu that the people there practically worship? That's so high I heard it sticks out of the atmosphere.

12. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Mayb turned toward Obi-Wan. Her chin resting on her hands, she innocently asked. "And what will you be doing while we go there?"

Obi-Wan's gray-blue eyes widened in surprise. Then he glanced toward Qui-Gon; his fearful expression made him look a bit younger.

"We will all be going together," Qui-Gon explained, a little amused by his Padawan's reaction.

Mayb's aqua eyes narrowed toward him in displeasure. Then she quickly smoothed her features.

"Well," she said, smiling at both of them. "We''ll just have to make the best of it."
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] [face_laugh]

(Should we refer her to Betle in "Strangers in the Night"...?)

It was time to admit the truth, she told herself firmly. It was now stunningly obvious why Qui-Gon Jinn needed to purchase an option for a marriage contract.

Qui-Gon Jinn was an eccentric. And he could not possibly attract a suitable mate on his own.

She briefly wondered how she could have so badly misread him before she discarded that idea. Her instincts simply were not that bad. There had to be some positives that she was forgetting. Mayb mentally went over them.

Qui-Gon had a good physique, even if he did not know how to dress himself. She could certainly teach him a few things about what to wear. He was more distinguished than handsome, but that was mostly because he was older. His eyes were still that stunningly beautiful shade of blue, and distracting.
    Oh, yes! Once she got past those, Mayb had to concede that his nose was bit large and crooked. She did not know why it was that way, bulging unevenly a bit just under his eyes; she would have to do something about that along with getting him into better clothes. Mayb preferred facial symmetry. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

He had some resources. His credits cleared the contract option immediately. And he had his own ship, small as it was. She would have to convince him to trade it in for something more spacious. And he lived on Coruscant. Anyone who lived there and could afford to travel off planet as much as he did had to be well situated. Apparently, Jedi were well connected politically to the Galactic Senate as well.

Mayb felt a little better about her choice after mulling the positives over, plus it was only a contract option. Even if Qui-Gon turned out to be completely unacceptable, she was legally bound to him only until it expired and then she could just take the fee and walk away from it. But there was no doubt that the engagement had started off badly.

So I guess the original Force suggestion is beginning to wear off... does that mean we won't be seeing Mayb attempt to relieve Qui-Gon of his Jedi robes, except for sartorial purposes, that is...?[face_batting]

I thought that Jedi did more interesting things than that. [face_laugh]

Dear me, if only she knew...

13. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    Mayb turned toward Obi-Wan. Her chin resting on her hands, she innocently asked. "And what will you be doing while we go there?"

Obi-Wan's gray-blue eyes widened in surprise. Then he glanced toward Qui-Gon; his fearful expression made him look a bit younger.

"We will all be going together," Qui-Gon explained, a little amused by his Padawan's reaction.

[face_laugh] Poor Obi-Wan!

Closing her eyes, Mayb decided that she was just going to have to work on that. And his clothes. And his hair. And his nose.
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

=D= That is so funny!
    But I think it will be a bit unpleasant if Mayb finds out that Qui-Gon faked everything... can't wait to read that!

14. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Closing her eyes, Mayb decided that she was just going to have to work on that. And his clothes. And his hair. And his nose.

Dear me! She already has a checklist. And no clue. When she discovers that he's the legendary rogue of the Temple, I wonder if she'll still think she can accomplish what the Council has failed to do--change Qui-Gon Jinn.

She's really quite clueless, isn't she?

15. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    OMG I love that!! u r so right!

On the other hand, realizing his rogue legend might just disabuse her of the ridiculous notion that he could not possibly attract a suitable mate on his own.[face_laugh] Last I saw, he was four deep in aspiring mates, suitable and otherwise....and that was BEFORE the chocolate!

16. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Like this mission he's on. Looking for people. I thought that Jedi did more interesting things than that.

He was clearly one of those people who simply did not know how to separate his work from his personal life, which appeared to be minimal. At the moment, he was forward, hunched in the pilot's seat, brooding over his mission. It hardly seemed like such a huge commitment to Mayb, but he was treating it like a whole planet depended on it. Closing her eyes, Mayb decided that she was just going to have to work on that. And his clothes. And his hair. And his nose.

Absolutely priceless! [face_laugh]

=D=

17. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I think Mayb is in for a rude awakening if she thinks she can change anything about Qui-Gon.

I love how he is managing to keep from being alone with her.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

18. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

Fifilla: Thank-you for reading! Mayb will eventually learn about the Jedi. [face_mischief]

Ara-gon: Mayb just doesn't know anything about Jedi, but she will. Thanks for the reply!

ratna: Qui-Gon is a tough case and Mayb doesn't know what she's gotten into, but she'll find out. [face_mischief] Thanks for reading!

VaderLVR64: Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.

KELIA: Thank-you! And Qui-Gon will only keep from being alone with her for so long. [face_mischief]

19. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    === oO%*%Oo ==%%%== oO%*%Oo ==%%%== oO%*%Oo === - - part 3

Thwack!!

The hair brush missed Qui-Gon's hastily retracted hand and hit hard on the top of Mayb's dressing stand. He actually looked surprised.

"We shall wait," he wisely agreed. He withdrew back to where Obi-Wan stood. Satisfied, Mayb continued brushing her hair. If those two could spend all that time just sitting on the floor doing nothing then they could afford to wait for her to get ready.

Mayb had already washed and primped in the ship's tiny fresher. Now she needed to style her hair, then accent her face, neck, shoulders and hands before putting the rest of her clothes on. She decided on minimal tousled hair and facial accents and color smoothing that matched the outfit she had laid out. Aside from the total lack of a personal grooming droid, Mayb was also missing several other things that Qui-Gon had somehow convinced her to leave behind, but she would work around that.

By the airlock, Qui-Gon whispered something inaudible to Obi-Wan, who had a sour look on his face as he watched her. Mayb looked the other way as she carefully rubbed lotion into her cheeks and chin. She applied styling spray and facial accents slowly and carefully. Qui-Gon would just have to learn patience. If he had to do something, he could work on his navigational skills, which had to be pretty poor since it had taken them all night to get to this moon. But he had at least timed the arrival for local morning.

Finally satisfied with hair, face and hands, she pulled on her long blue dress, muted white long vest and matching short boots. Mayb sadly looked down at her only accessory case and settled for a blue, star-glitter scarf to tie over her hips. She was resourceful and could make do, but she again wondered what she could have been thinking to let Qui-Gon convince her to leave so many things behind. Especially considering what he wore! He and Obi-Wan had only one outfit each! Mayb had been appalled when they just ran everything through the ship's clothes fresher when they undressed before retiring. Mayb could not recall ever traveling with anyone so cheap.

Mayb stood, then tidied and arranged her clothes. Sauntering over to them, she ignored the exasperated look on Qui-Gon's face and hugged him. Obi-Wan silently watched them and activated the ramp exit. Wearing their dingy brown robes over their common, coarse clothes, they followed her down.

===== oO%*%Oo ==%%%== oO%*%Oo ==%%%== oO%*%Oo =====

The open marketplace was full of shoppers. Most of them were the short stocky, horned humanoids native to Ayma's moon with a few multi-hued related species along with some tourists from the Granitis spaceport. Even at midday everything was shadowed by the gray vertical canyon cliffs high overhead and most of the rear stalls carved into the rock walls were artificially lit.

Obi-Wan followed close behind Mayb through the crowds. Though still displeased with Qui-Gon's rash actions, Obi-Wan would not let that interfere with his duty to protect the girl while his Master made inquiries about Yinis and Binoka's business in the city, Granitis.

Mayb flitted from shop-stall to shop-stall, always turning to him and asking the same question. "Do you think Qui-Gon would like this?"

She was determined the find a gift for Qui-Gon and was quite deaf to Obi-Wan's insistence that he did not want anything. That just hardened her resolve to find something.

Mayb smiled brightly and posed next to her latest choice. Obi-Wan looked up at the tall, gleaming light stand. It was too tall to stand up in the ship and lying down, it would just be something for them to trip over. Mayb shook her head and rolled her eyes when he told her so. Obi-Wan suggested lunch. She reluctantly agreed and they left the furniture shop.

They pushed their way through the crowds in the food plaza and Obi-Wan grabbed Mayb's hand to keep them from getting separated. Mayb's slender hand grasped his with a strong, firm grip and her perfectly manicured nails

20. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I thought it was pretty funny that Obi-Wan thought she was attractive until she kept talking. Plus showing her some of his skin woulnd't help the situation. She just doesn't get that Jedi don't want anything. Besides, a rock is always nice.

Good job.

21. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    This has got to top the 10 most important reasons NOT to become a Jedi Padawan.

Master leaves his marriage option in your hands for a day!

POOR OBI-WAN!

The *ahem* 'incident' in the fresher was .... over the top? [face_devil] [face_laugh]

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Now Dianethx - I think it was perfectly plain that one Jedi most definitely wanted something :eek: ;)

Ahem, a funny chapter...and what a hilarious picture you presented - a Jedi with drooping pants and er, lighted lightsaber (guess what I didn't say [face_blush]).

23. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Ok, I am catching up. This is very original and as usual your OC is fabulous, Mayb is a perfect piece of work.

Well now really, Obi-Wan and Mayb just want make a few modifications to the old man, they just have different ideas about who they want him to be. Just think if they got over their differences and worked to together! Poor Qui-Gon! Although he has only himself to blame.

Great job, can't wait for more.

24. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    Oh dear! [face_laugh] That was so funny! [face_laugh]

The whole first paragraph was just great!
    Qui-Gon would just have to learn patience.
    [face_thinking] Isn't that one of Qui-Gon's preferred teachings? ;) [face_laugh]

Qui-Gon absolutely would not want to curl his hair and the Jedi Temple had droids for that kind fashion if thing if he did anyway.
    I couldn't stop laughing at that one! =D=

And then finally the episode in the fresher - poor Obi-Wan!
    "Was that person a pervert?" she asked.
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] *rofl*

25. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved it! [face_laugh]

Qui-Gon absolutely would not want to curl his hair and the Jedi Temple had droids for that kind fashion if thing if he did anyway.

Qui-Gon was indifferent to droids and probably would not want one for personal use.

Qui-Gon would not wear a decorative and colorful tie in his hair. Or a fan. Or flowers, real or flimsiplast. Or a miniature flyer or fish of any variety.

Qui-Gon did like plants, but anything they got would be quarantined by Temple Maintenance as soon at they got it back to Coruscant.

Qui-Gon did not collect anything.

Qui-Gon did not care about antiques. And anything that could be legitimately called a 'Jedi' antique that was for sale could be confiscated by the Jedi Order under the Republic Antiquities Preservation Laws.

Qui-Gon did not have any complaints about the temperature of his room in the Jedi Temple, nor did he complain about the floor or any other surfaces inside it.

This was simply priceless! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.