main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Options ---- Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, mission -- COMPLETE -- 21-Oct-2007

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Mayb is a petulant child.

Yes, he realized, she was less appealing when she was talking.

That?s it, Obi-Wan, just keep her talking. Let her prattle on and on about useless gifts for Qui-Gon. It's a necessary distraction for you.

2. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    "Was that person a pervert?"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Talk about clueless!!

Poor Obi. He should have just let Mayb get Qui-Gon something and been done with the whole shopping experience.

If you didn't have anything, you'd be walking around here naked.

Yeah, he could definitely pull that off

=P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    dianethx: Thanks! Rocks are always nice. Mayb just doesn't know what she's missing. [face_love]

ratna: Thanks for reading! Poor Obi-Wan.....caught in the fresher with his pants down. o_O :)

Valairy_Scot: Oooooh, the visual of the lightsaber in the fresher? Weeeeeelllllll, I suppose it was bit obvious. [face_mischief] But still within TOS. Thanks for the reply! :)

azizah: Thanks so much! I think it's mostly Mayb who wants to modify Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan is just trying to get out of the way. [face_mischief]

Fifilla: Thank-you! Mayb has no idea how much patience Qui-Gon has.

VaderLVR64: Aaaaah, all those things (that Mayb would like) that Qui-Gon wouldn't really want. Thanks for the reply!

Ara-gon: Mayb does need to learn about Jedi. And so much less appealing as long as Obi-Wan keeps her talking. Thanks for reading!

KELIA: Thank-you! Poor Mayb is a bit clueless indeed. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oooooooh, I'm late again. I don't think there will be another update for this until after DragonCon. Where I suppose I will ponder which is more fannish.....writing about Jedi or dressing up as one? [face_thinking] :)

4. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    === oO%*%Oo ==%%%== oO%*%Oo ==%%%== oO%*%Oo === - - part 4

Qui-Gon arrived at the café, but turning around, he did not see Obi-Wan and Mayb amidst the thinning midday meal crowds.

He had learned little more than what they already knew when he received Obi-Wan's com. No one knew much about what Yinis and Binoka had been doing on this moon, though he strongly suspected that the court clerk he had spoken to was hiding something.

Qui-Gon slowly turned around again. He could easily see over the horned heads of most of the tourists and shoppers. He was reaching for his com when he spotted Obi-Wan and Mayb coming out of a shadowed shop-tent. They crossed the stone walkway. Qui-Gon walked toward them.

Mayb leaped forward and threw a long garland of flowers over his head. He bent forward with her weight as she attached herself to his neck. She squealed and kissed his cheek. His hands on her arms, he gently pulled her away and she leaned back to admire him.

"See, I told you it would match his eyes," she tossed back to Obi-Wan who was doing a poor job of hiding the glint of his amusement.

Qui-Gon looked down at the long lengths of flowers that hung down to his knees. They were large petaled, pale blue flowers strung with clusters of blooms of varying hues of deep blue and indigo with dark green leaves poking out among them. A few of them were bent and displaced from Mayb's hug. Not too sweet and vaguely similar to sapir tea, their fresh, delicate scent now surrounded him.

"Thank-you," he said.

"You are most welcome." Mayb smiled back and then glanced a little smugly at Obi-Wan.

"You were attacked?" Qui-Gon addressed his apprentice.

"Oh, it didn't go that far," Mayb said. "Obi-Wan just broke something and scared off a fresher peeker with that energy thing."

Qui-Gon assumed that 'energy thing' had to mean 'lightsaber'.

"Yes, Master. You were right about the possible danger," Obi-Wan said a little guiltily. He produced the broken halves of a seeker droid and handed them to him. It was a sophisticated, but fortunately unarmed model, not something sent hastily by a panicky school dean. "I injured the droid's owner, but I was unable to follow without leaving Mayb unprotected in case it was a ruse."

"And his pants fell down," Mayb blurted out.

Qui-Gon raised his eyebrows. Obi-Wan looked embarrassed.

"We were in the fresher," she explained.

Qui-Gon did not try to hide his amusement. He asked Obi-Wan to describe what had happened. The attacker had been an older and oversized Tukmos, or a related species, in black body armor, poorly concealed by a long gray cape. Whoever it was did not sound like a local, body armor not being in fashion on this moon, but there was plenty of multi-species traffic in the area, so it would not have attracted attention.

"I'm sorry, Master." Obi-Wan lowered his eyes. "There was a danger," he looked up again, his blue-gray eyes earnest. "I didn't take it seriously. I should have been more prepared."

Qui-Gon laid his hand on Obi-Wan shoulder. "You did well, my Padawan. I was not expecting an attack like this myself." He sighed and smiled. "And I gave you ample reason to question my guidance earlier." Sometimes all his apprentice needed was time to think over a situation and Qui-Gon regretted that he too often forgot that. Obi-Wan only half smiled in return; then his eyes looked toward Mayb with concern. She watched them both.

There wasn't much foot traffic around them, but Qui-Gon guided them all toward the side of the café, away from any onlookers.

"We have received a communication from the Jedi Temple." Mayb looked completely uninterested while Obi-Wan perked up.

"Two Jedi were dispatched to the Ob Krim Academy on Massko. They arrived just in time to stop an attempt on Dean Hawxol's life. They are pursuing that attackers."

Mayb crossed her arms before her. "Well, that just can't be so. It must have been a robber or something. Nobody's going to want to kill Dean Hawxol. He doesn't do anything li

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You were attacked?" Qui-Gon addressed his apprentice.

"Oh, it didn't go that far," Mayb said. "Obi-Wan just broke something and scared off a fresher peeker with that energy thing."

Qui-Gon assumed that 'energy thing' had to mean 'lightsaber'.

"Yes, Master. You were right about the possible danger," Obi-Wan said a little guiltily. He produced the broken halves of a seeker droid and handed them to him. It was a sophisticated, but fortunately unarmed model, not something sent hastily by a panicky school dean. "I injured the droid's owner, but I was unable to follow without leaving Mayb unprotected in case it was a ruse."

"And his pants fell down," Mayb blurted out.

Qui-Gon raised his eyebrows. Obi-Wan looked embarrassed.

"We were in the fresher," she explained.

Qui-Gon did not try to hide his amusement.

Boy, Mayb ddoes blurt out everything, doesn't she?

"I'm sorry, Master." Obi-Wan lowered his eyes. "There was a danger," he looked up again, his blue-gray eyes earnest. "I didn't take it seriously. I should have been more prepared."

Qui-Gon laid his hand on Obi-Wan shoulder. "You did well, my Padawan. I was not expecting an attack like this myself." He sighed and smiled. "And I gave you ample reason to question my guidance earlier." Sometimes all his apprentice needed was time to think over a situation and Qui-Gon regretted that he too often forgot that. Obi-Wan only half smiled in return; then his eyes looked toward Mayb with concern. She watched them both.

I like that Qui remembered that Obi-Wan somtimes needed time to process things - he is still an apprentice, after all.

6. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Wow, poor Obi-Wan!! Must be very disturbing to be so physically attracted to someone who grates on his last nerve.

Although John Gray (*Men are from Mars etc.") suggests that males can work around that sort of thing, I can't imagine it not bothering our Obi-Wan... (Which is NOT to say that Obi-Wan is a girl!!!)

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    The skin between Mayb's thin eyebrows crinkled. "That's a bit un-real, don't you think? It sounds like a cheap holo-drama. Obi-Wan told me you didn't like those." Her small mouth puckered. "And what do you mean that you 'were' looking for those Yinis and Binoka'?

"They are unfortunately, dead- -"

"Then why are you looking for them?"

"We are looking for their killers. We are simply using the pretense of searching for them to conceal our motives from whoever killed them."

"So, you're done with this now? Now that they're dead. You can pay a little more attention to me. Your fiancé?" she reminded him.

"I cannot honor the contract," Qui-Gon told her, a bit surprised by her reaction. Her determined aqua eyes looked up at him with annoyance. "My vows as a Jedi Knight forbid me from marrying anyone."

Poor Qui-Gon, he's got his hands full with this one. ;)

=D=

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Just fidning this and enjoying it immensely. I so love you JA stories. [face_love]

Might I be addded to the PM list? :D

9. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    "So, you're done with this now? Now that they're dead. You can pay a little more attention to me. Your fiancé?"

Nice to see Mayb focus on what's really important.:p

Poor Qui. How is he ever going to get out of this one?

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    In the pilot's seat, Qui-Gon was already asleep. For a fleeting moment he considered waking him up, he wanted to speak so badly.
    Poor Obi-Wan, he is so disturbed by Mayb's presence.
    I'm curious where this story will lead...

Nice chapter! =D=

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

Valairy_Scot: Yep, Mayb's mouth definitely runs faster than her brain. Qui-Gon just sometimes needs a little time and help to remember that Obi-Wan likes to think things through. Thanks for reading!

ratna: Obi-Wan is so still young and he's not too experienced with these things. [face_mischief] Thanks for the reply!

VaderLVR64: Obi-Wan will have to find his way. ;) Thanks for the reply!

Healer_Leona: Thank-you!

KELIA: Thanks! Obi-Wan will work things out, in his own way. [face_mischief]

Fifilla: Thank-you! Poor Obi-Wan indeed. He is young and in need of guidance at the moment, but he'll work through it.

12. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    === oO%*%Oo ==%%%== oO%*%Oo ==%%%== oO%*%Oo === - - part 5

Obi-Wan is jealous. Horribly jealous.

Mayb had seen him watching her after Qui-Gon rudely got her up and pushed her into the fresher. Obi-Wan looked away when she glared back at him.

Physically, Obi-Wan was average. His best features were his age and he was fit and trim. His eyes were faded blue, his hair short and unremarkably brown and it stuck out from his head like a thick brush. She supposed that the long braid he wore on one side and the lock of hair sticking out from the back of his head were some form of Jedi fashion, but Mayb did not see anything special about it. Otherwise there was nothing distinctive about him. Mayb did not find him any more attractive than Qui-Gon might have.

It had occurred to her that there might be something more physical between the two of them than Obi-Wan's apprenticeship. But Mayb had scrutinized them carefully and decided not. Qui-Gon was nothing more than Obi-Wan's superior. But Obi-Wan was clearly unhappy about all the attention that his Master was giving her. Since he was just an apprentice then he would never be able to afford a contract option. His only choice would be to establish his own marriage contract for others to option. And Mayb was not interested.

Mayb applied cream to her shoulders and rubbed it in carefully. Her hygiene case was balanced on the edge of the basin of the fresher and she had to be careful not to tip it over with her elbow. There was hardly any room at all for her things in this tiny fresher. Qui-Gon definitely needed a bigger ship.

She dabbed a dot of cream on her cheek in the same place where Obi-Wan had an enormous mole. She appraised the effect carefully before smoothing and rubbing the white creams in. Obi-Wan obviously followed Qui-Gon's bad example of not doing anything to improve his appearance. Sadly, it seemed that he had acquired far too many of Qui-Gon's eccentricities.

When she finally finished tending to her beauty needs and exited the fresher Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were sitting on opposite bunks, their eyes closed, their legs crossed. They said it was meditating, but Mayb had never heard any good explanation of just what meditating was. It was supposed to be some special kind of thinking.

What could be so special about thinking?

Meditating looked a lot more like sleeping sitting up than thinking to her.

She walked around them, first to her travel cases to get fresh day clothes and then to set up her dressing stand. She deliberately brushed past Obi-Wan as she did so, and Mayb was sure she saw a twitch. At some point while she was brushing her hair, Qui-Gon got up and went back for his turn in the fresher. He stripped and put his things into the clothes fresher for a short cycle and took out a clean set of under clothes from a compartment. Obi-Wan just sat there with his eyes closed, pretending to ignore her.

Mayb was pleased to see that they both did have a change of underclothes. Mayb had been surprised to see how minimal their wardrobe was since neither of them suffered from noticeable body odor.

Also pleased with what she saw, Mayb carefully evaluated Qui-Gon before he disappeared into the fresher. He had broad, muscular shoulders and arms, and a mostly trim waist that Mayb would have expected to see on a male years younger than Qui-Gon's listed age. She fondly remembered the feel of those arms around her. If only she had not been so tired last night, she sighed.

She turned back to her mirror and caught Obi-Wan looking at her in the reflection.

You are so jealous.

She made a face at him and concentrated on her hair. When Qui-Gon came out and Obi-Wan got up for his turn in the fresher, Mayb pointedly looked in the opposite direction when he took his clothes off.

Qui-Gon was also jealous, Mayb thought with satisfaction. Horribly jealous. He had not said anything about it; maybe he though she was stupid enough not to know that they were going to Mak Edoma's homeworld, t

13. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Poor Obi-Wan!
    And poor Qui-Gon too, but he really has no one to blame but himself.

What could be so special about thinking?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I hope they get to take Mayb back to the temple so we can hear her comments on Yoda and/or Mace.

Very funny.

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Poor Obi-Wan - but at least Qui-Gon was as sympathetic as he could be - no anger and no pity.

I wonder what Mayb will want? Well, besides... and the way she rubs against Qui-Gon reminds me of a cat marking its scent.

15. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    It had occurred to her that there might be something more physical between the two of them than Obi-Wan's apprenticeship. But Mayb had scrutinized them carefully and decided not. Qui-Gon was nothing more than Obi-Wan's superior.

Obviously Mayb doesn't know everything either. :p

I love this story, especially the parts from Mayb's point of view. She's funny without meaning to be, but she also gives some insight into Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. You really know how to flesh out your original characters. They're always so interesting and entertaining. =D=

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    She playfully slapped his arm. "Silly. These places always have a gift shop at the end. They don't just make their money on the admittance and the food. Now what would you like? I'm sure there will be all kinds of garden things."

Qui-Gon pretended to think for a moment.

"Well, what I would really like is to see you buy something for yourself."

Mayb drew back with a puzzled expression.

"I think it could be very important for me to know what things you like. The best place for us to start might be for you to show me."

A smile curled her lips. "That's very considerate of you. I'd be happy to accept." They continued on together for a few more paces. "And Obi-Wan didn't know what to get for you," Mayb said, her head nestled against his shoulder again.

Qui-Gon smirked sadly. "Obi-Wan does not know everything."

WOnderful update! And I loved her "putting her scent" on Qui-Gon. Makes sense. :p

=D=

17. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    A smile curled her lips. "That's very considerate of you. I'd be happy to accept." They continued on together for a few more paces. "And Obi-Wan didn't know what to get for you," Mayb said, her head nestled against his shoulder again.

Qui-Gon smirked sadly. "Obi-Wan does not know everything."

Does this mean what it seems to mean......? :eek:

18. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    =D= Nice update - I liked it very much!
    Can't wait for the next chapter!

19. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Mayb thinks Obi-Wan is jealous?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

She really is living in her own little world, isn't she?

Hmmmm....[face_thinking] [face_thinking] [face_thinking]...kinda makes me wonder if anyone actually dozed off during meditation time :p

I'm glad to see Qui-Gon is sympathetic to poor Obi.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

20. JazzFox

JazzFox Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2006
    Just discovered this fic, and I'm glad I did. This is incredibly entertaining to read! Mayb cracks me up, she's so funny, all her thoughts make me laugh! She's well-meaning I guess, just kind of clueless. And Obi-wan... poor guy. He's Kenobi though, he'll pull through this none the worse for it.

I have a lot of respect for Qui-gon's patience with Mayb. That's tough.

Thanks for posting, and I'd love to be added to the PM list!

21. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    azizah: Hmmmmm, I'm not sure either Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan would want Mayb anywhere near the Jedi Temple - - she might want to re-decorate. [face_mischief] Thanks for the reply!

Valairy_Scot: I suppose Mayb is a bit cat-like in a self-involved kind of way. [face_whistling] And Obi-Wan certainly needs Qui-Gon's sympathy with Mayb around. Thanks for reading!

LuvEwan: Yeah, Mayb doesn't know everything. She just thinks she does. :p Since Jedi are rare and uncommon in the GFFA (though you'd never know that from fanfic) then an OC POV will pick up the oddities and exoticness of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan (or other Jedi) that they would not see in themselves. Thanks much for reading!

VaderLVR64: Mayb's rubbing against Qui-Gon is just one way of showing her possessiveness. She really doesn't know him at all. :p Thanks for the reply!

ratna: Oh, it probably isn't quite as dire as it might look. [face_whistling] Mayb just needs to learn a few things about Jedi. Thanks for reading!

Fifilla: Thank-you!

KELIA: Thanks! I'm sure that more than one inattentive padawan has been caught napping during meditation time. :D And Mayb has sized up Obi-Wan and thinks she knows it all. :p

JazzFox: Thanks for the reply! Mayb does have her own point of view about how things are and she won't let little things like facts interfere with that. And Obi-Wan will pull through I think; in his own way. [face_mischief]

22. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    === oO%*%Oo ==%%%== oO%*%Oo ==%%%== oO%*%Oo === - - part 6

Obi-Wan's dipped his rented speeder bike out of the stream of the afternoon traffic of B'Feldi Township. He swooped down over the speeder park to the main entrance of an immense building of shiny panes set in a gridwork of pasti-steel glinting in Cucadu's blue-white sun. As soon as he stopped and dismounted a parking droid, as shiny and glittering as the building itself, approached. He let it scan the identicard he produced before entering. The droid whizzed off on the speeder bike to the parking area.

The mirrored double doors slid aside for him and he entered a circular lobby lined with huge silvery pillars. A few well dressed business people crossed the marble tiled floor. A large globe glittered high over the reception desk, alone in the center of the expanse of floor and surrounded by smaller shiny pillars.

"May I help you?" a polite woman with bright pink hair and eyes, and wearing a cheerful yellow suit looked up at him from her desk. Obi-Wan glanced at the directory behind her.

"Yes, I would like to speak to someone at Flumus, Jorok and Zah'quin about a contract of theirs."

"Do you have an appointment?"

"No. But I believe they will see me."

The receptionist frowned her doubts back at him and then looked down at the screen at her desk after Obi-Wan flicked his identicard over her scanner. Her face went a bit rigid as she read the glowing text and images. Obi-Wan's expression remained pleasantly neutral. The receptionist cleared her throat before looking up.

"I need to speak with my supervisor."

"Of course," Obi-Wan agreed. The woman rose, leaving the circle of her desk and hurrying across the back of the lobby to an open doorway. She disappeared and a moment later reappeared with a blue-haired woman in a yellow suit with orange shoulder-rankings. They slowly walked back toward the desk while stealing looks at Obi-Wan and intensely whispering to each other.

"They haven't done anything have they?" the older woman asked.

"How would I know what they do? But his card says that he's entitled to look at anything he likes. He's got the rank of a Senate Inquisitor. The Galactic Senate. Through the Jedi Temple. I didn't know they could do that."

The supervisor frowned. "I'll look it up, but I suppose that's right."

"You suppose?"

"Well, I've never had a Jedi in the building before, have I? And he asked to see the top floors anyway; they're lawyers, they'd know wouldn't they? He looks awfully young, doesn't he? You don't suppose he can hear us, do you?"

Obi-Wan folded his arms into the sleeves of his robe and tried to look uninterested. The two woman stopped moving forward. With a stiff smile on her face, the supervisor retreated back to her offices and the receptionist returned to her desk and gave him a yellow pass disk to attach to his robe and directions to the offices of Flumus, Jorok and Zah'quin. Obi-Wan thanked her and went to the lifts at the back of the lobby. The car came quickly, but as he entered, he heard from the receptionists desk, "Peeni, you won't believe[/b] what's coming up to you. . . ."

Obi-Wan sighed, alone in the lift. He did not expect to find much from an inquiry with Mak Edoma's lawyers, who had written up the marriage option contract that Qui-Gon had assumed. But Obi-Wan had spent the day visiting Edoma's mundane business interests. He had viewed a quarry that specialized in supplying materials for small art objects, gone on a short canal tour, sampled the products of two bakeries and had a very nice lunch at a B'Feldi Township café. Obi-Wan saw and sensed nothing unusual at any of them. Nobody noticed him and nothing followed him.

The lift doors parted.

Obi-Wan stepped out into a light green lobby, not as grand at the main one on the ground floor, but plush carpets lined the floors, the walls were decorated with elaborate carved and glossy panels and everything was spotless and smelled of efficiency.

"I would like to inquire about a

23. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Dear me, it seems that Mayb is falling for Qui-Gon for real.

Bird-droppings in the hair notwithstanding...

Obi-Wan a skinny, ordinary boy ??? Hey!

Thanks for keeping me posted!!

24. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I liked the way Mayb was marking her territory and pestering Obi-Wan. Her thoughts on their clothes and hairstyle were very funny.

But I liked the interaction between Qui and Obi the best.

Qui-Gon expected his Padawan would be in need of some quiet time for contemplation when their mission was complete. Obi-Wan had vowed not to allow his 'lack of control' to interfere with their mission, but Qui-Gon knew that this kind of tension could not be assuaged with promises. Qui-Gon could read the unhappiness in Obi-Wan's eyes when he advised that the best he could do was to let the feelings play out, wherever they led. While still minding their mission. But Obi-Wan wanted certainty, definite actions to take, disciplines to follow that would snuff out this unwanted lust. He longed for it, more than desired for Mayb. But that was something Obi-Wan would need to learn for himself.

In the end, Qui-Gon had simply ordered Obi-Wan to meditate on suppressing all his feelings and reactions he had toward Mayb until they completed their mission. He knew that these instructions could be damaging as a long term solution; they was no solution at all. But they were definite boundaries that Obi-Wan thought he needed. They would suffice for now.

Good job.

25. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Hmmmm....I wonder if Mayb is finally starting to get the hint marriage to Qui-Gon would not be the fairy tale fantasy she originally thought it would be.

And poor Obi - now he's finding her physically attractive?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.