VIDEO "...or rewrite history!" Ducktales Remastered! (woo-hoo!)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nobody145, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    Sadly I've never played the original game, but I love the cartoon (and Scrooge Mcduck is one of my favorite Disney characters) and have heard tons of good things about the original game, so really happy to hear news of a remake coming this summer. Sounds like a downloadable title on your console of choice, definitely going to buy it when it comes out.

Now if only I could get that theme song out of my head... actually, wait, I still like the tune, never mind.

Last edited by Nobody145, Mar 23, 2013
  2. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    Watch the cartoon but never played the game. I might give the demo a try.
    Original Oatmeal likes this.
  3. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    As a kid I went to an after school program that had a NES and this was one of the more popular games that kids played. I never played it much myself but I have a lot of memories from watching other kids. I'll be checking this out if only for the nostalgia.
    Original Oatmeal likes this.
  4. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    Anyone buy this yet? Review?
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I'm dying to play it but won't have the spare cash for a couple weeks, unfortunately. I've heard mostly good things about it- including the effort to streamline/explain oddities in the original game in the storyline and expanding the functions of the supporting characters.

However there seems to be infinite lives/respawns, which will probably make the game a lot easier, unfortunately. Maybe they can add a feature to turn that off.
  6. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    I got a chance to play it on my friend's Wii U.

Likes: graphics, music, nostalgia factor, little changes from the original
    Dislikes: Too many cut scenes, have to play with the GamePad, little changes from the original, easy pogo

I meant to try the hard pogo, but I didn't get a chance to. Also, you can't switch to hard pogo in the Wii U version while you're in the game. I'm guessing it's listed in the pause menu because you can switch in other versions.

The infinite lives/respawns is when you have the game on easy. Also on easy, when you get hurt, you only lose half a heart. When you change the difficulty level you get a finite number of lives and when you get hit it takes a full heart. I’m not sure the difference between normal and hard. I think hard may be a little faster paced at certain parts.

My recommendation - play it at a friend's house or wait for it to decrease in price. I've witnessed the game crashing on people when watching them play on Twitch. Also, when my friend beat the game it crashed on him.
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Finally downloaded it this evening. It's a fun game- it's really strange how it's various changes and options can both enhance and change the nature of the game. I love how they've worked the plot into the randomness of the original game, and having the original voice actors is just amazing- even Scrooge sounds great in the game (he sounded a bit old in some of the clips I saw before but the voice plays very well in the game itself).

And it's just a gorgeous looking game. Though as a side result, with all the fantastic 2D art, the 3D powerups look kinda cheap by comparison. But they're just powerups so it's not a big deal.

However, yeah, it does seem crash-prone. I beat the Amazon level and then went on to beat the Moon level (because, if you're gonna play the game, you gotta give the Moon a go at least once early on!) only to have the game lock up my Wii U upon completion. Sadly it means it didn't save my progress on that level so I'll have to replay it (but my other progress is still intact).

I didn't turn on Hard Pogo but I probably will for my next play through. I started on Medium difficulty and found the game as gloriously difficult as it always was. However, with the limited playtime I had this evening, I wanted to make some more progress through the game so I started over on Easy. I kinda wish there was a fourth difficulty between Easy and Medium... you run out of hearts way too fast in Med with the whole-heart damage but I like the pressure and threat of finite lives. If they could do the half-heart damage from Easy and combine it with the finite lives of Med, it'd be perfect, IMO.

On the upside, once you have infinite lives, the game's focus kinda shifts to treasure collecting to unlock the extras, which is surprisingly fun and a neat new way to approach the game from. I really dig seeing the artwork and character cards, etc.

If you want it just for the nostalgia/story, play it on easy, but if you want a pretty solid challenge, definitely go Medium. Either way, hope that there is a patch to help avoid crashes... $15 might be slightly too much for it, but it's not unreasonable.

Oh, and the game seriously needs a permanent "skip cinematic" button- it's annoying having to constantly pause and select that after every continue/replay.
    TiniTinyTony likes this.