main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph orange is the new black

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It happened. And I liked it. I liked it alot.

harpua likes this.
  2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Three episodes in - the new season is pretty damn great. They're working hard to juggle all the backstories, introduce new characters, but they're going to be straining to keep the show from veering into absurdity. The embezzlement/political candidate subplot in particular could potentially run the entire show off the rails, you can almost map out the time it will take for the show to jump the shark, but for the moment it's doing an above-average job of balancing the highly implausible stuff with the gritty realism and the exigencies of its effective comedy/tv drama blend.

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I kind of expect that though, given how Weeds went. It's the style I guess.

harpua likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    If you haven't finished season 2, don't read this...

So, do you think Fig is going to come back as an inmate next season? It'll be great, if she does. Also, Vee's death was ****ing hilarious. :p

Darth-Lando likes this.
  5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    There's no way she would be sent to the same prison where she was assistant warden. But, this is TV (kinda) so who knows. Prison Break had a former guard sent to the same prison with the inmates he used to torment.

I cheered when Vee got run over.

Also Morello (the van driver), has the most ****ed up backstory of any character on this show. It was so painful to watch her walk through Chrispher's house, put on his fiance's veil, and take a bath.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah... I wasn't expecting her to be a psycho stalker, at all. Yael Stone played it so well, too. The way she acted in court was truly creeeeepy.

I thought Taystee's story was pretty sad, as well... such a promising kid, who never really had a chance. Vee totally ****ed her life up. It was a pretty stark contrast between Taystee at the job fair, and what she became after Vee reentered her life.

Crazy Eyes was great, as always. Even when she became pretty unlikable for a bit, she was awesome

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well i'm caught up and i have to say this show is pretty unrealistic. i mean what bodega would have bottles of champagne right next to 40's of colt 45?

seriously though, it is ridiculously over the top but also awesome. almost all of the backstories were heartbreaking. i was hoping we'd get a norma one, but maybe next season.

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Finished Season 2 of Orange is the New Black - superb. Enjoyed the storylines, and the back-stories were all very compelling.

Re: the Final episode...Aweseome! I don't know how to post spoiler tags on this particular forum, so suffice it to say that while the whole episode was great, the very ending was quite unexpected - in a good way.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The ending made me laugh out loud... so good.

I was also hoping for a Norma episode. She's so intriguing. I hope we do get one next season.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    If the show goes on long enough, everybody will get the backstory, but Norma would be high on my list too.

11. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    So anyone notice how pretty much all the actors in the series have done time on law and order series.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Not until I read the same article you just have.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    "They called me Beer Can in high school..."

lol

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol... I can't believe somebody actually had to ask that.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    "Romanticized white fantasy..." I can see that. This show is, like Tom said, over the top and unrealistic, but I think it's entertaining and written well. Not every show needs 100% gritty realism. I love this article, though.... great read.

http://boingboing.net/2014/06/23/formerly-incarcerated-woman-on.html

Edit
    Hmmmm.... the article I want to link isn't working, so here's a good Boing Boing thing. The Article I'm trying to link as near the bottom of this articke (Where the **** are all the guards, etc... )

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's unfair to say any show is unrealistic. Because they all are. They are all hinged upon dramatic turn of events. Or comedic turn of events. If they are not, where is the interest.

tom likes this.
  19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The woman who does the reviewing is pretty hilarious, though. :p

"There’s a putt-putt golf course near my house with more security than this prison."

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    She never watched Cell Block H, clearly.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm sort of in disbelief that anyone would need to be told that the show is unrealistic. or that it's a "white fantasy", as if that's something that sets it apart from other tv shows. but yeah, the woman's commentary is pretty good.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I think that's a big part of the show's charm. Like you said, it's over the top, but awesome. I'm a big fan. I was definitely entertained by the reviews, though. She did four episodes, I think.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    there are seven up now. i'm into number 5.

24. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Just finished season 2. So glad Vee bought it. That was awesome.

The only thing I really dislike is Larry and Polly getting together. Just seems so unbelievable. I liked Polly until she started liking Larry. I mean, what. Pete was so much better than ****ing Larry. But yeah, I love the show.

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah.... Larry's a douche.