main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Orbital Operations Channel 1MP-3R-14L-15M

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Pyrophoric, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Pyrophoric

Pyrophoric Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2013
    [​IMG]

WELCOME to the OOC thread for Star Wars: Imperialism!

This is the place to discuss the plot, characters, strategies, and a resource to ask me or other players questions about the game. Per the rules of the RPR, please keep discussion unrelated to the game to a minimum.

This will also be the place, from now on, where I will post GM notifications in order to keep the main thread in-universe, so be sure to check it regularly. Some notes to start off:

• At the end of the first post is an addendum regarding the rule on killable NPCs. Please don't forget to read it!

• As you may have noticed, I've been putting the in-game text in Georgia font (with the exception of false documents, for the sake of verisimilitude). I would prefer if you (the players) did, as well, to maintain a sense of continuity in the narrative.

• I'm not going to require "IC as [Name]" headers or tags in your posts (although I tagged you all in the first post, simply to ensure I complied with the rules on when OOC threads can go up). Since for now we have a small game, and not one that sprawls over multiple groups across the galaxy, I'm hoping it won't be too much trouble for each player to read every post in the thread. You might want to tag players at the end of posts when you have a specific question for them or an action you want them to respond to, but otherwise you can just assume all posts by a player in the thread are IC as their character and tag everyone else.

That's all for now. I hope you guys enjoy the game!

2. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Woohoo! OOC thread!

I do have one question, as far as tagging goes, is it ok that we forego it for now? I'm including it on my intro post for now because I have to leave as soon as it's up.

Side note: I inteded Kagura's appearance to be based off of Faith from Mirror's Edge, without the tattoos and obviously wearing Scout Trooper Armor. :p Image here. Just to give you all an idea because she hasn't put her helmet on yet.

3. Pyrophoric

Sep 17, 2013
    Yeah, that's totally fine.

Also, Heavy Isotope, your post made me realize that I completely forgot to ask for an operating number on character sheets. Which is actually a pretty big oversight. My bad on that one. Everyone else, feel free to slip yours in whenever you'd like.

4. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    Do we have a legion or unit number as well? For example a Stormtrooper would introduce themself by.their operating number and then their legion. "TI-7598, 103rd Legion," followed by their planetary home garrison which I wouldn't know specifically, I just made up the op number and legion for the example.

5. Pyrophoric

Sep 17, 2013
    The exact location of the squad in the order of battle is 2nd Platoon, Besh Company, Wraith Battalion, 9th Regiment, 776th Legion.

Wraith Battalion is based out of the Star Destroyer, so that would be the unit's home garrison. But since all the player characters are fresh out of school, they wouldn't really have a prior home garrison.

6. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    Right on, just good to know for future reference. :)

7. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    I was wondering about that. I assumed they were going to be assigned, however, if that's not the case, I'll choose TK-1277 for Praxis. Let me know if this needs to change. Thanks for the info.

8. Pyrophoric

Sep 17, 2013
    First off, here's a list of names, ranks, operating numbers, and primary weapons for the whole squad, in one place on the front page of the OOC thread for easy reference:

• Sergeant Cobel 'Sarge' McKittrick - JH-2911 - E-11
    • Corporal Treveck 'T-Bone' Belinski - TX-7 - EE-3
    • Private Serrell 'Sav' Velsívnar - JA-621 - E-11
    • Private Semp Terralle - KE-419 - E-11s
    • Private Praxis 'Silver-hand' R'juna - TK-1277 - EE-3 (greyjedi125)
    • Private Aiden 'Leck' Halleck - ST-865 - EE-3 (BLemelisk)
    • Private Kagura 'Lil' Sis' Saito - TR-8311 - EE-3 (Heavy Isotope)
    • Private Aldor 'Al' Links - CR-9117 - E-11s (Ramza)

Also, a new GM post is up! A couple additional points:

1. I'd like it if you could start thinking a little bit about your character's philosophy. Are they a callously stonehearted soldier, carrying out orders with ruthless efficiency, no matter how unsavory they might be? Or are they conflicted about some of the more unethical aspects and actions of the Empire? Are they a racist, sexist, fanatical adherent to Imperial doctrines who joined the Academy to put blaster holes between the eyes of "undesirables"? Or did they see the Academy as a career move, but have since come to be unnerved at just how brutal the Empire can be? Your squad has a female trooper, which is incredibly rare- there are supposedly an average of only three females in each Legion of stormtroopers. What does your character think about that? Some of you have touched on these questions in your character sheets and opening posts, which is awesome. Ideally, I think it'd be great if there was a diversity of opinion within the squad as a source of some contention, but you're totally free to steer your character in whatever direction you want. In the next GM post, the other troopers in the squad are going to go into some more detail on their own opinions, which, as you'll find, are also pretty diverse, so when it goes up, start thinking about which of them your character would agree / disagree with.

2. The wheels are still only starting to turn on the plot at this point, so I apologize if it seems like your characters are taking a backseat to it in these first few posts. Such is the nature, I think, of this kind of mission-based game. I promise that once the mission really gets going I'll be throwing the decision-making reins to you guys much more fully! :)

9. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Just discovered this, will have to stop checking the boards on my phone :oops:

In reference to point #1 and the mention of female troopers, my character post recently revealed he was eavesdropping on a conversation between two female soldiers. I have always thought of the Empire as a sort of gender-neutral, new Battlestar Galactica kind of environment, however upon doing a little more reading I'll make sure to remember that in the future. Let's just say they were two from separate legions that were getting rotated through...

10. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    Or were just crew. :p

Honestly until I did my research for this RP while making my CS I didn't know the Empire was actually as male dominated as it was. I did think that there weren't any female Troopers at all but I was happy to be wrong because I didn't want to play as a male. :p

11. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    My thinking was always if the Empire supports the humans over all else, why would it only support half the humans? Aside from "becuz evulz" :p

12. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    I think it's the idea based off of a Confucian or Jeosun, I don't remember which, ideal that women are too emotional for difficult work and should be housewives/mothers. Just another aspect to add to tyranny.

Also I found a good map on the wiki.

Image link

As well as a note on Kagura's speech, she has grown up with an Eriadu accent. (Think similar to most Imperials in A New Hope or The Old Republic. Tarkin, for example. Though, he rolls his R's a lot. So for all intents and purposes, an English accent.) Generally you'd find this in a higher Imperial class, of which Kagura does not belong to. So think of a slight accent to her voice when she talks because I don't want to type out full cockney here. :p Whether or not that's important to your level of immersion in a story, I find it is, though like I said I don't want to distort my dialogue for her because personally I find it annoying to read and would rather just read it as is and place the accent myself as I go.

13. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Uhm...Heavy Isotope...R'Juna never said or mentioned Jedi or anything in that post, that is to say, he never spoke a word, all he did was sigh. That is all internal dialogue that you were reading. There are no quotation marks around anything written, just to let you know.

And I like the map you provided. Thanks for adding to my mini SW library. :)

14. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    Argh, sorry that was in reference to Leck's side comment. Too late to edit now but any players please just substitute the name when you read my post. :oops:

And youre welcome. :D

greyjedi125 likes this.
  15. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Well, thanks for clarifying. I was a bit confused, hehehe. No worries!! I'm liking how things are developing. [face_dancing]

16. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    Me too, I'm dying to read more posts. :p And I'm so excited to post more, I am trying so hard to hold back things about Kagura, gah! I just wanna kick some doors already! XD

17. Pyrophoric

Sep 17, 2013
    Oh hey, that's the exact map I've been using internally. It's the new official map of Tatooine, I believe. You guys are on your way from [8] to [4] currently.

And yeah, I've always been intrigued by these divergent takes on the Empire- some sources portray stormtroopers as conflicted, realistic soldiers just trying to do their duty and get by, while others have a more- let's say originalist take of them as emotionless, ruthless, and unshakably lawful evil. I see these as two sides of spectrum on which most stormtroopers fall somewhere in the middle.

Also, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I really messed up on the proofreading on my last post. There's a part- "watching it fly off into the night"- which refers to nothing. Or maybe to McKittrick's own speeder bike before it somehow comes back. D'oh. Originally the Sentinel was going to be taking off during that conversation, but I excised that bit in the editing process... not well enough, though, obviously. Apologies.

greyjedi125 and Heavy Isotope like this.
  18. Pyrophoric

Sep 17, 2013
    Also BLemelisk I think "becuz evulz" is actually the official state motto of the Empire. :p

greyjedi125 and BLemelisk like this.
  19. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    I figured that's what you were using. ;)

I know where I want Kagura to sit, but ahhhh~ trying to not give away too much. :p

See now I figured McKittrick let his speeder slip out from under him. ;P

20. Pyrophoric

Sep 17, 2013
    The last image in the new post is what you see if you look into the center of the valley with your macrobinoculars.

Interpret it / recommend further action as you wish.

21. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    Pyrophoric I just want to take a moment to compliment your work in photoshop to put together the headings and the imagery to accompany the text. Great work!

greyjedi125 likes this.
  22. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    Hey everyone, I don't know how Imperial military structure works. But a Corporal and a Sergeant are Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs) not superior officers. I don't know if the Empire requires you to call an NCO 'Sir' or not, but referring them to their rank is considered more respectful in military.

23. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Never spent a day in the military. Too much of a rebellious streak for that, though love discipline ( studied kung fu for over 5 years), so yeah, any tips on that would be great. :)

*salutes our boys who have bravely taken the burden to champion just causes abroad.*

24. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    No worries. :p Just saying for reference, if the GM wants Sir but is ok with Sergeant or Corporal then it's up to you. ;)

25. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    My computer is dead guys. Not sure how long it will take to fix "IF" it can even be fixed. I'll try to keep up, but can't make any promises. Long live DRL!!![face_frustrated]