Ordinary World/A.U. J.A. ( posts June 25,28 NEW POST JULY 12 )

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by jodiwent, Jan 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh drat! That stupid last post on the page thingy got me again. (the real message is on the previous page)
  2. Jaya Solo Jedi Knight

star 5
  3. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    We'll be happy to see more here whenever you get the chance to post!! Have fun in S.C.!!
  4. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    "You're taking a big chance." Dr. Acantha said, almost to herself.

"It will all work out," Serra insisted.

The doctor snorted out a laugh. "If you say so." After a long pause she added, "I wonder what Ben would say about that."

"Look," Serra spoke curtly. "Can you stop talking about 'my' personal life? I'm trying to think about what we need."

"We need a lot."

Serra knew the doctor was right. She was glad to hear that she had said 'we' and not 'you'. Serra wondered if the woman's change of heart would disappear.

"I think I have enough vaccines for the ones that are there now," Acantha continued. "Food is going to be the big problem. That could cost you hundreds of credits every day."

"Darn those kids," Serra's words dripped with sarcasm, "having to eat every day."

Acantha thought it best to keep quiet for the rest of the ride. She kept thinking to herself, 'This princess is not going to be good for my conscience.' She might actually gain one if she hung around Serra for any length of time. Like most others who lived in Farm Town, Acantha saw the skriff kids as nothing but cheap labor and trouble. Now she had to see them as just kids, no different than the Farm Town kids; the kids that were her every day patients. The doctor was wracking her brain trying to think up one of her colleagues who would be the type to enjoy this sort of work, someone to take over when her end of the bargain she had made with Serra was over.

It did not take long to reach Acantha's office where they would pick up medical supplies. Acantha was more interested in seeing if Serra's cousin had come through with the promised credits. Instead of going to the door of the clinic Acantha first went to an automatic banking station located in front of it. If it had been sanitary, Dr. Acantha would have kissed the screen when she saw how large her account had grown, so quickly. Even for a physician it was an enormous amount. She sighed that not all of it was hers. Most of it was Serra's and that was going to go to take care of the farm kids. That didn't mean she couldn't or wouldn't charge the princess the maximum for her services on top of the payment already agreed on for her silence.

"Well?" Serra asked her delighted companion.

"It seems," Acantha started, "that the Prince of Alderaan is a man of his word." She took in a large breath and looked at the numbers in front of her face once again. "Have you got a identity free credit exchanger?"

"Not yet."

Acantha put her own exchange card in and downloaded what she thought they would need to feed and clothe the children. "I guess I'll have to be the front woman for this little operation for now."

Serra nodded.

After they packed the med supplies, the two women rode to the other side of town to the market area. Each farm had its own building where retailers or individuals could buy the farmer's wares. Acantha was trying to think just how much thirteen kids, Meyer, and Captain Lance could eat in a few days. Serra was thinking of that and of something else. She wondered if Bail had kept his other promise and called off the search for her and Obi-Wan. The first thing she saw made her think he hadn't. A holo billboard in front of the marketplace was flashing the galactic news headlines. An image of her and Obi-Wan was displayed as one of the stories. Serra could not hear what was being said, but became very self-conscious.

"I can't go in," Serra said as she lifted her collar to hide part of her face. She also let her hair fall to keep anyone from recognizing her.

"Go back to the speeder," Acantha advised. "I'll find out what's going on."

Serra kept her head down; she didn't even look back to where Acantha was going. Acantha squeezed in closer to the holo screen and waited for the image of the two runaways to show up again.

* "Today the Organa Royal House of Alderaan called off the reward for Princess Serra, who has been missing for weeks and had been presumed kidnapped by troubled teen Obi-Wan Kenobi-Lars. Neither Queen Shirai or Vicer
  5. Jane Jinn Jedi Knight

star 5
    Well, I saw it coming, but I'm still sad that Obi-Wan and Serra had to break up. I suppose a fight was inevitable, too. *sigh*

What will Bail and Colton do now? Will they go after Obi-Wan, or will they stay and help Serra with the kids? I suppose she'll stay there for the next several years at least ...

And what will Obi-Wan do? Where will he go? Can't wait to find out! I'm glad to see you're back and posting on this thing, and I hope to see more soon, Jodi.
  6. PaddyJuan Jedi Master

star 4
    poor obi.

sniffle.

sad froggy.

you could cheer me up with another post soon?!
  7. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooops this song goes with that post I think some lines could be from Obi and some from Serra.

HOOBASTANK
    "Running Away"

I don't want you to give it all up
    And leave your own life collecting dust
    And I don't want you to feel sorry for me
    You never gave us a chance to be
    And I don't need you to be by my side
    To tell me that everything's alright
    I just wanted you to tell me the truth
    You know I'd do that for you
    Why are you running away?
    Cause I did enough to show you that I
    Was willing to give and sacrifice
    And I was the one who was lifting you up
    When you thought your life had had enough
    And when I get close, you turn away
    There's nothing that I can do or say
    So now I need you to tell me the truth
    You know I'd do that for you
    So why are you running away?
    Is it me, is it you
    Nothing that I can do
    To make you change your mind
    Is it me, is it you
    Nothing that I can do
    Is it a waste of time?
    Is it me, is it you
    Nothing that I can do
    To make you change your mind
    ...What is it I've got to say...
    ...To make you admit you're afraid...
  8. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Ha!! I liked how Dr. Acantha worried that she might grow a conscious being around Serra!! but for all you would be bounty hunters out there - - it?s too late to collect " * -- Yay!! That's good news. Certainly helps ease the pressure on both Serra and Obi-Wan. Love the joke about 'either, either what?' [face_laugh]

If you put as much effort into us as you do them, we'd be married already." ... hmmm, can't help but agree with Obi on that one. It does look as if she isn't quite ready for that step.

Oh dear... what did Serra think was going to happen when Obi found out she called home for money?? And why didn't she expect her brother to come looking for her??? I would have. It's ashme that Serra couldn't have been a bit stronger and told Obi the truth instead of letting him find out the hard way... or even better conversed with him ahead of time.

Excellent post Jodi!! :) :)
  9. shanobi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Thanks so much for PM-ing me about this post jodi! It certainly was nice and long.

You're writing has a 'realness' to it that is very inviting and easy to relate to. Loved the part about everyone having to take a bath, getting new clothes, and having hair cuts. It's that 'ordinary' everyday stuff that we all have to do. Loved the neither, either bit as well :D

I've felt the relationship between Serra and Ben cooling for quite awhile now, but it's still kind of sad. They did have something nice for a bit there, and if anything Obi-Wan helped her to find her destiny.

I so feel for Obi in this fic, it's as if nothing ever goes his way, he's always thwarted. I was so hoping he'd be able to make a go of it on Alderaan with Bail and the flight thing.

I know you have plans for him though, so i'm hanging in there. Please let me know when you get another one up :D Later.

--Shan
  10. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    Just sent a post to be proof read. Should be here tomorrow.
  11. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Wan didn't go very far at first. Thinking that Serra would come to her senses and chase after him, he waited where the road to Meyer's farm and the road to Farmtown met. He was still waiting when the sun set and when it rose again.

*GeeeEEEeeeR* His stomach rumbled. He had eaten plenty the night before, but it would be nice to have some breakfast.

"Oomph," Obi-Wan groaned when he sat up. Sleeping on the hard ground and the morning chill had made the young man's neck stiff, and it didn't help his back much either. Obi-Wan couldn't help thinking of the nice soft bed he had back at Meyer's, and all the food.

'No', he scolded himself. 'You can't think like that.'

He concluded that Serra was not gong to run after him.

'So Kenobi, where to now?'

He didn't want to go into the city where he could be recognized. He still thought there was a price on his head. Serra hadn't gotten around to mentioning that the reward had been canceled. He didn't want to go to Farmtown, more likely to run into Serra or someone else from the farm there. He didn't want to go back to the industrial farm either.

'Looks like there's only one choice.' He stood and headed down the only road that he didn't know where it led. 'A clean start,' he thought as he walked. 'Who knows, there may be something great at the end of this road.'

So, Obi-Wan walked down the road leading west, and walked, and walked, and walked. There was nothing out there! For miles and miles nothing. At first he passed farm fields. If they were growing anything that was for human consumption, he might have tried to swipe something to eat. But he knew what was growing in the fields; it was blood weed, a grass that was used as a dye to make the brilliant Corellian red. Field after fields of it he passed.

In Kenobi's memory he had learned that blood weed only grew where food crops couldn't, in the land between the briny sea marshes and the fertile farm lands. Fields and fields of the stuff until it reached the marshes. It was midday when Obi-Wan arrived at this point. He must have already walked ten miles and the water flowing by became a temptation. He soon found out it was not good for drinking. It was still cold enough to splash the sweat off of his face.

"Good going, Kenobi," Obi-Wan scolded himself. "March yourself right out into the middle of nowhere." He was reprimanding himself for walking off without taking anything with him as well. "The middle of nowhere with only the clothes on your back."

It wouldn't be the first time. Obi-Wan thought back to a few years before when he had run away from the Agri-corps; he had planned much more carefully for that than this. 'You think I'd get wiser with age.' Food would have been a plus. The only thing that he wanted more than that was a ride on any ship leaving Corellia.

For another five miles the road went on; passing nothing but marsh grass. No other roads diverged from this path. 'I have to run into something sooner or later.' Later he did run into something -- the ocean. 'Always did like the beach.' Obi-Wan tried to convince himself this was a good thing. 'If I remember my survival training from the Temple, there should be plenty to eat around here.'

Obi-Wan looked up and down the sandy shore; there was no sign of people in either direction, but his senses were telling him that he could find people some distance to the south. The sun was low in the sky; its long shadows played along the ripples in the tide zone. Seeing this made Obi-Wan realize what a long day it had been. He considered looking for something to eat, then he realized he had nothing to start a fire with, to cook any shelled fish he might dig up. He wasn't desperate enough to eat them raw, yet. With this in mind he set himself to find a place to sleep. He would walk south in the morning and maybe the people down the beach would help him out. He could do some kind of work for his breakfast, or lunch, depending on how far away the people were whom he sens
  12. PaddyJuan Jedi Master

star 4
    well, at least Obi found something he likes and is cheering up. Can't wait for more. hmmm, sounds like Serra should have considered the contraceptives a little earlier.
  13. shanobi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    What a nice surprise! Just popped in to check the boards and here was a new post, and so soon after the other one :) I love it.

Sounds like Obi and Serra are really not good at communicating. If they'd been honest with each other they might not be so miserable right now.

I just seem to say this so much in this fic, but--Poor Obi! :D Waiting all night for Serra to come after him, walking all day in the middle of nowhere, and sleeping on a flea infested beach. I'm glad someome finally found him.

I should sympathize with Serra too I guess :) Oh, but I have a feeling she's really going to regret her little indiscretion. Can't wait to see what happens there :)

Great post jodi, can we hope for more soon??

--Shan

14. Jaya Solo Jedi Knight

star 5
    Wow. So much has happened. Silly boy running off like that... but I knew it was coming. Great posts!
  15. Glad is June Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow Interesting Jodi. I hadn't seen this before I've only read the first page. But I'll try to get caught up soon. Right now I got to go to bed.
  16. Glad is June Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow Interesting Jodi. I hadn't seen this before I've only read the first page. But I'll try to get caught up soon. Right now I got to go to bed.
  17. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Imagine that, I've found the post on my own and only two days late!! :D :D

It's so very sad to see Obi-Wan and Serra both so miserable... though they both contributed to their dilemma. Oh dear... Serra might have more problems on her hands than just missing Obi-Wan???

Fabulous post Jodi!! :) :)
  18. Kaylla_Norn_II Jedi Youngling

star 2
    oooo poor obi... lol well at lest things seem to be looking up for him.

poooor boy, looses girl, has nothing to eat, walks lotsa miles, and all he wants is a little sleep and the blasted sand fleas eat him alive... well as least if he has to get almost run over at least it was by a swoop... sooo now what hmmmm?
  19. Glad is June Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi Jodi, Looks like you have as much trouble getting a post up as I do. So I thought I'd up this.
  20. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    Lately that's true!

I take it you like what you've read so far ;)

I have four other stories and I've been kind of posting on them in rounds, this one is due next. (I wish and am trying to make them quicker but it seems to be around a month now)

I just posted on my young(er) Qui-Gon story, and have a follow up post almost ready to go, but I'm going to work on one for here next.

BTW even though this story is not finished, I have a sequel to it started on the Saga board (I moved it there)

Here's a link for anyone interested :

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=11750379&] What I Really Am [/link]
  21. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    Rust's swoop sputtered south for twenty miles before Obi-Wan could see anything hinting at civilization. Ahead of them was a complex of dome or rather egg shaped clay buildings that dominated the beach. Surrounded by a security field there was one large building surrounded by smaller ones, all of the same design, and in the middle of the whole thing, the biggest pit stop Kenobi had ever seen.

'When the entire coast is your track,' Obi-Wan figured. 'I guess everything is big.'

Behind them, not by much, were the other racers returning from the entire practice run. One of them passed Rust's swoop. The rider of that fast swoop Obi-Wan could with out a doubt tell was female because of the tight red synth-leather pants and Jacket that fit like a second skin. The next thing Obi-Wan and Rust saw was this rider jumping up on the seat of her swoop and bending over to show her own seat. With one hand still driving she took her other one and smacked one of her leathered cheeks as if to say 'Kiss this!' Not in a nice way. A second later the young woman was back down in the proper driving position. An opening appeared in the energy field and the red rider disappeared inside the complex.

A few more swoops passed them as Rust's forward thrusters gave out. Only one stopped to ask, "Hey Rust need a tow?"

The lift repulsers on the swoop still worked and Rust would have just as soon pushed it to the gate, but he wanted to find out if Ben was the hot shot the teen claimed to be. "Sure Tiff," Rust addressed another racer who also happened to be female. "You got a cable?"

"You know me," Tiff said pulling off her helmet. "Always ready, willing, and able." A compartment in the back of her swoop opened and a bungi like cable with a hook fell out. "Who's the kid?" She winked at Obi-Wan then attached the cable to Rust's swoop.

"This is Just Ben," Rust told her.

"And why is Just Ben ridding on your swoop?" She sat back on her machine. "And do you think the others will let you bring him home?"

"He claims he can fix this bucket of bolts," Rust explained. "Besides I don't think Idunna will mind him being around, it's what Idunna thinks that matters."

Tiff chuckled to herself, put her helmet back on, and revved the swoop before taking off with Rust and Ben in tow. Inside of the complex, they stopped in the mechanics' area. There were a lot of swoops, all of various makes and condition. There were just as many mechanics working on them. Rust unhooked the cable and handed it back to Tiff.

"You're a real lady Tiff," Rust said. "Unlike some around here."

"You're just saying that," the rider dressed in red yelled over, "because no one else is lame enough to stop for their own competition." The woman saw Obi-Wan and took notice. "And look what good old Rust brought along." The woman whose long hair was as red as her ridding outfit pawed Obi-Wan's face. "Fresh meat."

"Wilda!" A shout came from the outer area. Another woman, an older woman who's age Obi-Wan could not determine walked over. She was the only one not dressed in overalls or racing leathers. To Obi-Wan's eyes she looked like an elegant lady of some court, but Corellia had no court. "Hands off the boy."

"Yes your ladyship." The one called Wilda stopped in mid caress. Obi-Wan wasn't sure he wanted to be protected. He was relieved to not be the center of attention, until he saw that he still was.

"Let me have a look at you boy," the lady called out. "I don't like strangers being here, never know when one is a spy for the competitors."

"Idunna he's only staying," Rust interjected, "if he can fix things the way he boasts."

"He'll stay for only one reason," Idunna asserted. "If I allow it."

"Of course, I meant that." Rust backed down.

Idunna looked Obi-Wan up and down, making him very self conscious. Everyone standing around knew tis was nothing less than an inspection to see if the new comer met the boss' standards.

"A bit scrawny," she started. "That can be fixed, the flea bites as well." She continued to size
  22. PaddyJuan Jedi Master

star 4
    nice chapter! ben should fit in well there for a while, maybe learn some more mechanics.
  23. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
  24. shanobi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    And just what did Serra mean when she said 'them?' Hmmmmmm???

Lovely new bunch of characters you're introducing here. I can definately see Obi fitting in more here than on the farm.

Can't wait to see what you've got coming up next, Jodi :) Sorry this is kind of short, but gotta run. Thanks for letting me know about the post - - do it again next time will ya? ;) Catch you later.

--Shan
  25. jodiwent Jedi Master

star 4
    Opps, sorry Shan, no twins. I just didn't want Serra to call the baby an it, and she doesn't know if it's a boy or a girl yet.

Obi-Wan's first order of business was to take the bad forward thrust propulsors off of Rust's swoop. It wouldn't make much difference if he tuned it up, if it couldn't move a hair forward. Like its owner, the vehicle was rusty. As Kenobi removed bolts, the place they had belonged snapped, making it necessary to fix that part as well. Obi-Wan paused a moment in his work to look over to where the really nice swoop sat. The victory party had moved on to somewhere else he was better off not knowing about, involving water and lots of soap.

'I bet nothing is ready to fall off of that swoop,' the envious boy thought. He went back to fixing the one he was supposed to be concerned with.

Within the repair bay was everything any swoop mechanic could have wanted; tools or parts. The racers back on the farmer's moon would have never dreamed of having such things. Many times their swoops, including Obi's, were held together by household materials adapted to do the job. Obi-Wan lay out the parts he had taken off so he could take stock of what new ones he'd need. Behind where Holt was blissfully snoozing were the parts drawers. Obi-Wan skillfully tip toed around the sleeper to get what he needed to, one fix the thrusters, and two to get it back onto the swoop with out it falling off again. 'That should do it.'

Now it was time to work on the engine itself. He had listened to it on the ride to the complex, but Obi-Wan wanted to hear it again. He climbed up on the swoop and let it rip. He was revving it, when he saw Holt sit up and wave his hands across the front of himself, indicating he wanted the boy to shut off the swoop. He was saying something Obi-Wan could not hear until he cut the engine.

"Hey kid," the man said. "I'm trying to sleep here."

"But - - " Obi tried to speak.

"Sleeeeeep," Holt exaggerated as he lay back down.

"Excuse me," Obi-Wan said. "How am I supposed to work on this if I can't hear the engine?"

The man shrugged. "Got me." Holt had not even opened his eyes to answer.

The frustrated teen could hear other mechanics doing exactly what he needed to do. He let Holt know that. "Why don't the other engines bother you?"

"Cause their not in the place I'm trying to sleep."

This only further perplexed Obi-Wan. "Can I bring Rust's swoop to a place you're not trying to sleep?"

"Not if you're gonna' use my tools, they stay right here."

Kenobi tried one more tactic. "Could you go sleep somewhere else?"

Holt answered, "I could," but made no move to move.

Obi-Wan stood opened mouthed for a moment after he figured out the man was not budging. "Look I have to listen to the engine," he insisted. "If you're going to sleep here, you'll just have to deal with it."

"Hey," Holt managed to sit up again. "That's not a very nice attitude." The man lay back down.

Obi-Wan was beginning to wonder if the scruffy man was in full control of his faculties. 'If this is the guy who normally works on this swoop,' he mused, 'no wonder it's junk.' The boy didn't know if he should be worried or relieved that he saw Rust returning. 'Maybe he could make this guy see sense.'

"So Ben," Rust greeted. "You give up yet?"

"No," was Ben's simple answer.

Rust went to give his swoop closer inspection. "This looks like good work here." The man poked his finger along places he knew had worn out. "And you did it fast."

"I would have gotten more done," Obi explainedi "If I didn't have to convince sleepy over there I need to run the engine."

"He wouldn't let you start the engine?" Rust laughed and shook Holt. "Holt." He shook more vigorously. "Holt-ie, wake up and go back to your place."

"My place is here," Holt claimed when he sat up once more only to go down again.

"You been dipping into the brain jammer again?" The question was rhetorical. It was obvious
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.