main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Oregon Fan Force Chapter Representative

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by grumpydevil, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grumpydevil

grumpydevil Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    Greetings fellow Oregonians...

The time has come. We've technically had our three scheduled events (or four or five if you're counting) which technically (drumroll please) kicks the Oregon Fan Force back into "active" status. Boo-yah for us!=D=

Now that we are recognized again, we need a chapter representative to be our liaison twixt ourselves and the Fan Force powers that be. What I'd like to do is open this thread for nominations. I don't think that we really need to "second" the nominations, but the nominatees will need to either accept or decline the nomination in this thread.

I'm going to say this to the nominees, though: You should at least have some ideas for the future - I dislike the word "platform", but anyone who actively wants to be our representative should have some goals (anything, really). Nominees do not have to be or have "the most" of anything (# of times they've seen SW, how large their collection is, # of posts, etc.), they just need to be in a place to take the OFF to the next level.

Here's how we're going to do this (forgive me if this sounds too formal):
    Nominations will begin today, June 29th, 2006.
    Nominations will end on July 5th, 2006.
    Voting starts on July 6th, 2006.

1. An OFF member will nominate someone.
    2. That nominee accepts or declines - if accepting the nomination, he/she should post something about where they see the OFF going..
    3. The rest of the group votes on the nominees.

Voting will be done through the FanForce.net PM system.

Our Regional Support Administrator, Miana Kenobi, has offered to tally the votes for us, so please send a pm to Miana Kenobi with a subject of "Oregon Fan Force CR Vote" and include the screen name of the nominee who you are voting for. Once the voting has been closed, Miana Kenobi will tell us who our new chapter representative is.

-Kyle

2. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    Yikes, I got distracted. Here it is:

I'd like to nominate the one, the only.....Ayn as the new Chapter Representative for the Oregon Fan Force.

-Kyle

3. Ayn

Ayn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2006

Thanks for the nomination Kyle :) I love this group, and am happy to do whatever I can for OFF, so of course I accept! Ill post here later about where I see us headed as a fanforce.

4. XecoFreemoon

XecoFreemoon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2004
    Wow.. that was like.. totally fast. Awesome.

-Xeco

5. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Can we nominate ourselves? ;)

6. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I would be happy to have Ayn as our CR. She has really been the shaker and mover lately. My only reservation is that she has only been active with the OFF for a few months. I've seen many member come and go, some being very active for a while and then the vanishing. If Ayn, or anyone, will be CR I would like a written commitment from them that they will stay active on the job for at least a year.

Now Brook, don't you think that you should at least attend one meeting before you nominate yourself for CR.[face_laugh] I would be happy to nominate you if you promiseto attend future meetings.

7. brook_33

Dec 30, 2003
    I would gladly attend a meeting now that I'm out of school. All you old people don't remember how many hours of homework come with Highschool.

8. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    I know it's not wholly my concern any longer, but I would definitely nominate Crash. He's been around for a long time, is very passionate about SW and the OFF, and wherever I see any events being planned by you guys, Crash is in there helping to hammer things out.

9. MaraSkywalkeriii

MaraSkywalkeriii Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2006
    I do not want to be one, but I was just thinking if we had 2 co-Chapter Representatives that it would feel less stressful for both parties involved. I'm not even sure what it is they have to do, but I thought I might throw out the suggestion just in case. They could divide up their duties based on each persons abilities and interests with regards to the OFF.

10. XecoFreemoon

XecoFreemoon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2004
    Oh I remember... how many hours I saved by not doing the homework. ha ha

-X

11. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Well thank you Vengeance, I appreciate your words.:)

Again, I think that Ayn would do a good job as CR. However, the Idea of a Co-Chapter Rep does seem interesting to me. In some ways the OFF feels like a second home to me, and I really feel committed to its future. Ayn has a lot of energy and a drive to keep regular meetings going, but I wouldn't mind helping her as a Co-Rep, especially in planning the meetings and in keeping the Forum up to date and active.

But we are forgetting GrumpyDevil. Grumpy has been very active in organizing OFF event. But he is already the Big-Wig at Dark Side Troopers. ;)

12. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Yes, I do remember highschool, albeit my highschool experience pre dates your birth :confused:.....[face_thinking].....Hay, who are you calling OLD:p

13. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    And now ladies and gentlemen, for my third post in a row.....

I think a couple of things the CR (or co-CR) should do, besides organizing meetings, is to be active in outreach....going to other FF Forums (like the Pacific Forum), and other non-FF forums, to inform others of our existence. Also, we should develop a history of the OFF......like a list of past organizers, meetings, other-events....etc. Did you know that the Forum started as the Portland FanForce before expanding to the Oregon FanForce?

14. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    PLEASE forget about me! I've got enough big-wiggery to last me for years...

-Kyle

15. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006

Its late, and I am falling asleep, but I thought I should post some thoughts in case Im not at the computer tomorrow. I agree with you Crash, about the fact that there is always the danger of someone wandering off. Which is especially not cool if they have taken on a position of responsibility in the group. A year commitment sounds like a good term. However, if someone is really going to bolt, I dont know that a written commitment would really keep them from doing that. That being said though, its not a bad idea at all to get a written commitment (it makes things seem official and more of something to be taken seriously), a written outline of responsibilities and duties might be a good idea as well. I agree also that I am probably not the best person for the job. It is very kind of both Crash and Grumpy to be so supportive of me! Crash, I think you are a perfect fit for CR. Its important to me that someone do it, and Im would be willing to do the best possible job I could, but only if a better person couldnt be found to fill the role. Organizing a few social events doesnt make one a group leader. Crash knows everyone here, has been a member for a good amount of time, and is an all around good guy, so I cant think of a better person to represent our group. Plus, it looks like he already has lots of promising ideas. As long as Crash is willing to be CR, Id like to gracefully bow out of the running. Of course, Im happy to do what I can to facilitate OFF meetings etc, there is no need for me to have any title or official role to lend a hand. So Crash, if you are up for the job, you have my vote and pat on the back for being willing to take on this venture. You would be a great CR, Crash, I hope you accept the nomination (or did you already do that? I wasnt sure if you officially accepted or not).

16. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    ????? Who ever said that you wouldn't do a great job? I hope my statement about you being new to OFF didn't sound like I thought you wouldn't be a good choice. On the contrary, I think you, along with the other new members, have totally revived OFF with your new energies. We older members seemed to have been killing off the OFF with our lack of energy.

Again, if the other members agree, I would love to be a Co-Rep with you. I think it's always a better idea to share duties with others. You are much better at organizing events than I am, which is a major part of keeping a Chapter going. Besides, my schedule becomes really busy at times, and I fear that the OFF would suffer during those times. You may have a simular situation. Having two reps would help keep things in motion.

So, what do you think? I will accept the nomination only if you will be on the same ticket as a co-rep.[face_flag]

17. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006

Oooops, sorry, I was up too late with too little sleep and should have chosen better wording! I didnt mean for it to sound negative lol. All I meant was, I was willing and glad to take on the duties to make sure someone was doing the job, but I personally feel there are others with better leadership skills that are more suited (hehe, well, others meaning you Crash). Honestly, I was a bit concerned about getting in over my head, but was willing to throw caution to the wind and hope I was able to do an OK job just because I dont want the group to go back to languishing in silence. I dont know alot of people here and I dont know all the much about web/posting type stuff either. Over all, I would feel more comfortable with Crash being "the man". Im glad to be his right hand wookiee when the need arises though. Most of my experience stems from organizing social events. Maybe rather then a co rep position, I should be the social director or meeting co ordinator or something like that lol.

18. brook_33

Dec 30, 2003
    I hear that, lol. Despite my previous unattendance, I'm willing to be more involved in Fanforce stuff, and also I'd be willing to set up some things now that I'm on my own schedule.

19. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    I love the idea of a Social Director. Would this be a State wide thing, or would you like to limit yourself to Portland, i.e. PDX Social Director?

Any more nominations (or self nominations) for Chapter Rep., or Co-Chapter Rep.?

20. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006

Err...ummm...I dont know? Probably I would be limited to the Portland area since I dont drive. But, we should get the CR position filled and underway before we start seriously thinking about other jobs. Sooo...I just noticed this thread has been sinking, does that mean that there are no other nominations? We should pick a date to end voting and make things official :) So far it looks like Crash needs to officially accept his nominmation. Did anyone else want to be nominated or have interest in a co-rep position? If no one objects, Id like to set Friday July 7th as the deadline for nominations. That should have given anyone plenty of time to jump in or speak up :) Also if no one objects, Im thinking July 14th would be the deadline for actual voting. Hope thats ok with everyone, I think its important that we have someone in place and are working towards keeping our group growing and in action but I dont want to rush anyone either. One last thought, if no one else is nominated, do we need to go through the actual voting or could we just name Crash as our CR? Pending his official acceptance, of course...I dont want to push you either Crash!

21. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Ya ya, now that you were able to get yourself out of it, you seem to be applying quite a bit of pressure.:p

Oh well, OK I will officially accept the nomination, with the proclamation that I would be happy to share the post, or move a-side for a more "Type A Personality" candidate (I tend to be "Type B, B+ at best).:cool:

22. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Position Available Immediately: Apprentice Sith Lord, Dark Side Consulting Group (aka Oregon FF Chapter Rep.)

An unexpected position has opened up in the Dark Side Consulting Group for an Apprentice Sith Lord (aka Chapter Rep.). The ideal candidate for this position would like galactic travel and possess a complete understanding of, and competence with the Force, or demonstrate a willingness to learn. Duties include: Performing competitive intelligence, hands-on intervention in support of the Sith Master's planning initiatives, ability to travel the galaxy widely, and operating a variety of laser-powered hand weapons and high-powered space/air vehicles. Some slaying of enemies of the Dark Side is also required, which may be performed using the Force or hand weapons. Qualified applicants would possess good communications skills (especially when speaking in menacing whispers), and would be action-oriented individuals and risk takers. A background in study of the Force (light side or dark) is desirable, as would typically be acquired by those with advanced degrees or significant course work in Jedi Arts from the University of Coruscant.

Applicants should also be familiar with holographic projection equipment, possess a valid galactic pilot's license (for all classes of ships), and must show a willingness to give in to their hate. A proven track record of using fear and/or Jedi mind tricks to control others is also desirable, as is the ability to speak several galactic languages. Ideal candidates for this position would also have no children or other living relatives who are strong in the ways of the Force. (A new hire would be given several weeks to meet this requirement.)

Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience, and is extremely competitive for this field. Benefits include a generous severance package, a company starship, and a dark-colored clothing allowance. The Apprentice Sith Lord (aka Chapter Rep) reports to and works closely with the Sith Master, and experience in such small, team-based organizations is vital to the success of the master's plans. Discretion is also highly valued, as is the ability to see the future before it happens. Applications will be accepted until the end of July 7th. Transmit them to the Oregon Fan Force Forum.

23. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006

24. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    OK, so it looks like there has been no other nominations for Chapter Rep. Therefore, does this mean that I am the new Chapter Rep. by default?:confused:

Or should we have a poll..........something like this:

Option 1 = CrashDown for Chapter Rep.
    Option 2 = Oh Please, anyone but CrashDown for Chapter Rep.

Why do I get the feeling that Option 2 will win out?

25. Thulium

Thulium Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 1999
    If that's the only two options, my usual vote for "None of the Above" just doesn't make sense! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.