Oregon Fan Force Meeting in Portland

Discussion in 'Oregon FanForce' started by grumpydevil, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grumpydevil Jedi Knight

star 3
    [image=http://www.freak23.com/jedi/OFForce.gif]

Would anyone in the Portland area (including Tigard, Beaverton, Gresham and the surrounding areas) be interested in getting together for pizza (or something) one evening or weekend?

I'd be willing to do some mild organization if we wanted to have it somewhere like a restaurant or my house or something...

-Kyle
  2. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    I still say we do an Oregon Fan Force meeting, seeing as this is the Oregon Fan Force.
  3. grumpydevil Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well it's not like I'm tryingto exclude anyone...I'll change the title of the thread.

-Kyle
  4. _Vengeance_ Jedi Master

star 4
    If I could make it up to Portland that weekend I'd be willing to come up. :)

And pizza usually works for a first time meeting if you want to go out with everyone and talk. Just make sure you have some good things handy to talk about in case there's a big gap in the social process, haha.

Also, for anyone interested, there's a big pillow fight tonight at Pioneer Square in Portland at 7:00. Show up with your pillow concealed, and once you start to see people draw their pillows, go at it and start pillow fighting. Don't attack anyone without a pillow, though!
  5. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    Ya, it's still an OFF meeting, it's just in Portland. The last few meetings have been in the Salem area because the "Salem" members were generally organizing it and wanted it near where they lived. Which is fine, but few if any Porland people could make it. It's good to spread the cheer, and move the meetings around sometimes so that nobody feels left out.

I would love to get together in Portland with ALL the OFF members. Lets pick a time and place.
  6. grumpydevil Jedi Knight

star 3
    I suggest someplace downtown, perhaps Old Town Pizza? Seems sort of a good idea to make the meeting central to the area.

Or if we wanted to meet at another good pizza spot on SE Belmont and 34th, everyone I've taken to "It's A Beautiful Pizza" seems to love it.

Thoughts? It does seem like we've been getting more new folks in. I'm pretty sure I could coax some of the Dark Side Troopers to show up out of uniform, too...

-Kyle
  7. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    actually we only had 1 meeting, with me and 2 other members. haha. [face_laugh] [face_frustrated]

And this of course will be another one of those meetings Derycke says he's coming to.... :D :p
  8. _Vengeance_ Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek:
    :oops:
    [face_shame_on_you]
    [face_not_talking]

And we had other meetings before then, before you came along! And I went to them!

:p[:D]
  9. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    Wasn't there talk about getting together and watching SW movies a couple of months ago? Did that ever happen?
  10. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
  11. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm OK with "It's A Beautiful Pizza" or "Old Town Pizza", if everyone else is. I could go anywhere. If it would get more people coming, we could even pick a place in Wilsonville, not to far outside of Portland but closer to the members down south.

When would you want to do it? I think weekends are best, especially for people coming from outside of portland. And I'm with Vengeance, lets come up with something to talk about.....lets say.....Ah,...Star Wars [face_laugh]

OK, so far we are up to three people,
    (1) GrumpyDevil
    (2) CrashDown
    (3) Vengeance (who must prove Larena Jade wrong)

Anyone else? Brook, where you in or out?

Oh, I forgot Larena, She's coming?.......she has to come. She is the "Oregon FF
    Official Embassador". She can be our official greeter.[face_batting]

12. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
  13. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    Is that a yes or a not?
  14. AugieBenDoggie Jedi Knight

star 1
    First of all,

Hello and greetings form a San Diego SW Society member (new to Oregon)!

Secondly, I'm up for a meeting. (The SDSWS has regular meetings and I admit, I'm feeling a certain amount of withdrawl!)
  15. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    When is this meeting going to take place?
  16. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    I love this, we're getting so many new members. And to think, just a couple of weeks ago I was declaring the OFF dead.

Welcome AugieBenDoggie, it will be great to have to come to the meeting.

How about next weekend, either Saturday or Sunday about 5:30 PM? Does this work...which day is best?
  17. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Exactly, not to mention the simple fact that Portland is the only major city in this state, the only city most people even know about, and that most people in this part of Oregon live in Portland or thereabouts, and that we have five times as many people and fans as Salem does. So it's simply ridiculous to keep holding meetings in Salem, unless they want to make a Salem Fan Force. I personally don't know anyone who lives in Salem, I know all kinds of Star Wars fans around here. No offense to Salem people intended, but it's just not that big of a town and there's nothing there to get all worked up about. Portland is a major metropolitan area. This is where it's at. ;)
  18. Ayn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Meeting sounds fun...Im super new, but Ill glady help out if there is anything I can do.
  19. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    Now come on Bowen, be nice.[face_shame_on_you] Its largely been the Salem members who have kept us alive during the slow times (not counting the recent slow time :p). Yes, because Portland is so big there would be naturally more fans in Portland than other places in Oregon. But for some reason the OFF forum has not been that popular with Portland people (until recently that is). I for one think that we should stay united as one OREGON FAN FORCE. If one day the Portland members out number the rest 10 to 1, then perhaps Portland members may want to start thinking about their own fan force. But for now lets stay united.
  20. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    I think all you would have to do is to show up. I'm new to this meeting thing, but I would thing all we would have to do for this meeting is to show up at a pizza place and have fun. We have not been very organized in the past so we don't really have a format or organization for these meetings. Maybe if we have enough intrest we can start actually organizing. But for now, lets just get together for once.

It's great to have you on-board Ayn !![face_dancing]
  21. grumpydevil Jedi Knight

star 3
    I can make that work for me, but I think that in general, it's best to set events two weeks in advance (at least). Agree or disagree?

If no one objects, I'd also like to invite a few members of the Dark Side Troopers, the Jedi Assembly and Rebel Legion to the meeting.

-Kyle
  22. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    OK, then lets say the following week, the weekend of the 18th & 19th. Does that work?

I don't have a problem inviting others from other groups, but since this is technically an OFF meeting, we should make sure that the "outsiders" don't out number OFF members. So before inviting people from other groups, lets make sure that there is a good group of our members coming. But it would be great to have members from the Dark Side Troopers, the Jedi Assembly and Rebel Legion, not only to meet other SW fans, but to also try to recrute them as new OFF members.[face_dancing]

So, can I assume that the following members may be intrested in coming?
    (1) GrumpyDevil
    (2) CrashDown (including wife - Mrs. CrashDown)
    (3) Vengeance
    (4) Brook_33
    (5) AugieBenDoggie
    (6) Bowen
    (7) Ayn (with boyfriend ????)

is this correct? ....anymore?
    GrumpyDevil, how many outside members were you thinking of inviting?

Can everyone varify if either March 18th or 19th would work at, lets say, 5:30PM.
  23. _Vengeance_ Jedi Master

star 4
    How incredibly humourous, haha.

I happen to be have a wedding to attend on the 18th. Though if it ends up on the 19th (which is doubtful) I will have a greater chance of being able to make it.

And Bowen, you must also remember that there are other members beyond Portland and Salem. Salem was typically the suggested city because it is a centralised location, seeing as there are folks in Corvallis and Eugene who post here alongside Portlanders, and at the time the numbers were about equal on either side. Salem was a kind of balance for the people on either ends of the distance spectrum.
  24. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah if you have a balance from Eugene, Corvallis, and Portland, then Salem does make sense, it's just that... well, I mean whatever works. I personally would not drive to Salem for anything, just as I would not drive to Corvallis for anything. Maybe I don't have enough group spirit, but I'm a pretty busy guy most of the time and I can't say I'm like a HUGE fan of driving, haha, so for me if it's further than about 30 minutes away, I'm out. I have had good looking girls interested in me from Southeast Portland before and I still won't drive that far. That's too far away, 30 minutes away, that's just not worth my time. If it was anywhere in downtown Portland that's no more than 15-25 minutes away, or anywhere in Hillsboro or Beaverton, but Salem? That's an hour away, two hours round trip, I mean if Salem had a digital theater... playing ROTS... that's the only reason I can think of that I'd drive so far.

I used to drive the P-town to Corvallis route every week, and boy, let me tell you, do that for three years and you get tired of driving I-5. But that's just me.

I met some cool Star Wars fans in the Portland area recently, one of the guys posts on RebelScum, the other was his friend and builds some Star Wars dioramas and stuff. Anyway, lots of fans here, no idea why they don't post on our board -- I have to admit it'd be far cooler if we had all of the online Star Wars fans, at least, posting here. It's frustrating since our state is not *that* small, everyone here is pretty technologically advanced, haha, we all have the Internet, so why can't more Oregon SW fans find us? Ah well.
  25. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    I may be away from a computer for the next few days, so I wont be able to keep track of the meeting planning. I am fine with any weekend date or time, just let me know what you guys pick.[face_peace]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.