main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Origin Of Anakins Name

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Aneeta_Veets, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aneeta_Veets

Aneeta_Veets Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2005
    Does Anakin mean something literal like an - a - kin (Without a father???)
    If so that would mean that GL had worked out his divine conception back when ESB came out.

2. Skywalker_Savior

Skywalker_Savior Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2004
    I read it means Without Family. Ana=Without and Kin=famly.

3. OmnipotentSeal

OmnipotentSeal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    You guys are on the right track, but a little off...

"Creator George Lucas took the name "Anakin" from his friend and fellow film director, Ken Annakin."- wikipedia

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    But the original name was Annikin. Annikin Starkiller. Annikin is a Finnish name, I believe.

He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader
    /LM

5. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    The Bible's book of Genesis??

6. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    The origin is Ken Annakin, the film director, as was already pointed out. Anything beyond that is a coincidence.

7. Aneeta_Veets

Jun 29, 2005
    Coincidence???? coincidence???? :)

In my experience there are no coincidences.

So why was this guy honored by naming the most powerful jedi in the universe after him?
    Is there a yarn to tell about it?

8. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    I think Lucas just liked the name. Anakin. It sounds neat.

9. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    It's not coincedence. It's just a perfect display of the amount of thinking GL went into when making the Prequels. He already had the names and the symbolism of what the story was. Then he had to go back and write the story to fit it.

10. zombie

Aug 4, 1999
    What is it symbolizing then? What does it mean then? I hate to break it to you but not everything in the films have a double-meaning, and not everything in the films was planned on since the 70's. Anakin is just a name Lucas likes. He used it in the rough drafts--for a completely seperate character--and recycled it in the prequels, just like he also recycled the names Mace, Volorum and Utapu. There is no further meaning in any of those either. Wake up guys!

11. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I'm Finnish, and Anakin certainly isn't. Nor is Annikin. However, there is a name, Annikki, that may sound a bit similar to anyone unfamiliar with the language. However, it's an exclusively female name.

There is a Buddhist mantra that goes "Om Mani Padme Hum", meaning "The jewel is in the lotus or praise to the jewel in the lotus"... Switching letters around a bit, it's possible GL got Ani from there. It certainly looks like Padmé (meaning lotus) came from the mantra.

12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    My bad :)

They don't trust you, Anakin
    /LM

13. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I read, a long time ago, in a Star Wars magazine (perhaps it was Insider - I'm not sure) that Anakin is a race of giants in some old tale or myth. It also states that the name Skywalker is one of the Norse god Loki's names, and that much is true. (It's quite fun in Neil Gaiman's Sandman: The Kindly Ones when said god screams: "I'm Loki Skywalker". It sounds rather familiar... :p ) but I don't know about the giant race thing.

14. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    ^^

You refer to the Book of Genesis. I mentioned that above.

15. Master_Rory-tiin

Master_Rory-tiin Jedi Master star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    Im wondering how he doesnt have a father someone had to poke shmi

16. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    I stand firm in the belief that it was derived from Clay "Aiken"'s family tree.

17. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Eh? Not according to AOTC. Anakin was conceived without a man's intervention, but that doesn't make it a virgin birth. I don't know enough about Shmi's background to say...

18. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    Shmi and anakin can be found in (shakyamuni) letters jumbled, is it intentional or planned, I don't know, but it could be.

19. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I've always thought that Anakin was a very unique and cool sounding name. If Anakin did not = Darth Vader...let's say Anakin was a hero throughout the Saga, I would just bet you would have many, many Star Wars fans naming their male children Anakin.

20. Aneeta_Veets

Jun 29, 2005
    Where is this reference in Genesis?

I still think the name translates to "without a father" the same way "Darth Vader" at least conjures "Dark Father"

21. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I'm not sure of the origins, but I know it now has an entry on babynames.com. There it says it is American and it means "Warrior"

22. BANDIT1995

BANDIT1995 Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2005
    From the beginning Lucas used various portions of mythology from various sources for his ideas. This is well documented. As to the origin of Anakin's name, it is interesting that in the Old Testament you'll find passages relating to a race of giants called the Nephilim. Although this subject is argued vigorusly by Biblical scholars (and there is no universal agreement on this by any means), none the less, a straight-forward renedering of the beginning of Genesis 6 indicates fallen angels married human women and produced un-natural offspring (the aforementioned Nephilim). Elsewhere in scripture there are references to Anak and his sons, sometimes referred to as Anakim (apparently they were Nephilim). What I do find interesting is the idea Anakin had no natural father, but a human mother, as do the Nephilim. Whether or not this is where Lucas got the idea from, I have no idea, but the parallels are interesting.

23. XVIII_XV_XIII_V

XVIII_XV_XIII_V Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2005
    No offence to Mr. Lucas, but I have a really hard time imagining him sitting down and reading Genesis. I'm not sure why.

24. BANDIT1995

BANDIT1995 Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2005
    While this concept originated in Genesis, legends of half-human/ half-supernatural origin are in most of the world's cultures throughout history. The best known are probably the Greek "Titans". Hercules, for example, is supposed to have been of these. As discussed, Lucas is a fan of mythology and therefore could have got this idea from a number of sources.

25. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    :::From the beginning Lucas used various portions of mythology from various sources for his ideas. This is well documented. As to the origin of Anakin's name, it is interesting that in the Old Testament you'll find passages relating to a race of giants called the Nephilim. Although this subject is argued vigorusly by Biblical scholars (and there is no universal agreement on this by any means), none the less, a straight-forward renedering of the beginning of Genesis 6 indicates fallen angels married human women and produced un-natural offspring (the aforementioned Nephilim). Elsewhere in scripture there are references to Anak and his sons, sometimes referred to as Anakim (apparently they were Nephilim). What I do find interesting is the idea Anakin had no natural father, but a human mother, as do the Nephilim. Whether or not this is where Lucas got the idea from, I have no idea, but the parallels are interesting.

LOL

Yeeeears ago, I heard some uber-pompous guest on '"Coast to Coast AM", with Art Bell (but it might have been hosted my that Nimrod, George Noory at the time,), cut off a caller, who said: "In the Bible, there were the Anakim..." with:

"No! "Anakin" is a character in Star Wars. We're talking about the *"Nephilim"* here."

So, I chuckled a bit, and turned the radio *off*.

What a maroon. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.