main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Origin of the Clone Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by OT_fan, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OT_fan

OT_fan Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2004
    Did a search and nothing came up but I was watching ANH the other day and when Obiwan is watching Leia's message she mentions that "years ago you served my father during the clone wars" in reference to Bail.

We know that George had a lot of the saga worked out in rough drafts and back stories back in the 70's whether we assume 6, 9, 12 movies so my question is, did GL originally have a different idea as to what the clone wars were? Are they close to what we have in the 3 year period between AOTC and ROTS or is it vastly different?

So in a nutshell, was George's vision of the Clone Wars in the mid-seventies different when he referenced it in ANH or pretty much what we have?

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I think the general ideas may be similar, it is really impossible for anyone besides Lucas to answer this question. None of us really know what he was thinking.

-Seldon

3. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I always thought, just in the context of the OT, that it was a nod to Roddenberrys' Star Trek in that the current state of the universe in that show was directly related to a war that altered society years before. Alot of science fiction is set X amount of years after a devastating war.

4. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    I'm surprised you ask this question without first seeing Episode III.

5. SithHistorian

SithHistorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2005
    You didnt watch AOTC?

6. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    My only thing is that I thought the clone wars were going to last longer.

While 3 years it a long time for a war to go on, the way they talked about it, it seemed like it would last for a decade, if not more. I mean, the galaxy is a big place.

That was just my impression, anyway.

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think the idea that the Clone Wars weren't black and white, that there were good and bad guys on both sides and that some even had good reason to hate the Jedi, was something that Lucas had in mind from the beginning.
    I just bought a comic magazine with a few Clone War stories in it, among them the Battle of Jabiim. It's amazing how well thought out it is. Alto Stratus, the Separatist sympathizer on Jabiim, hates everything about the Jedi and the Republic and even though he's portrayed as a bad guy, his feelings are perfectly understandable.
    Even though this might not be evident from the movies(we'll see in May), I really believe that this is something that Lucas has thought about through the years.
    Who knows? Maybe ROTS will show us that the Separatists aren't necessarily bad guys(except for some of the leaders). That they do suffer needlessly at the hands of the Republic. Might even be a turning point for the Jedi.

Clone Wars - oh yeah
    /LM

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Interesting ideas about the survivors of the clone wars were at times present in drafts of the films.

At one point, Lando was supposed to be a lone survivor from his clan of clones.

It's really hard to say. I never thought though that the Clone Wars saw the actual rise of the empire.

9. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    There were always survivors of the Clone Wars. Obi-Wan certainly survived them, and spoke about them.

The way some people speak of the "survivor of the Clone Wars", it sounds as though they're like those Japanese troops in WWII stuck in caves, not aware that the war was over. Or Jackson, winning that battle after the War of 1812 (or whenever) was over. It was Jackson, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.