main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Origin of the Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by RKMeibalane, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RKMeibalane

RKMeibalane Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2002
    Does anyone know when the lightsaber was first used? As far as I know, the Jedi Order has used them since the formation of the Old Republic, but does anyone have any information that pre-dates this? Thanks.

JMT Edit - Please use this thread: **Official Lightsaber Discussion Thread**. Thanks.

2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Well, according to TF.N's TimeTales, the Jedi were formed 25,000 standard years before the events of ANH, yet it does not specifically state about the creation of the lightsaber. This is also the time that the Galactic Republic began to be formed- ...the rumblings of a galactic community begin to take place....

I would say that the lightsaber was created by the latter forms of the Jedi, once it became apparent that, as peace keepers, they may have to resort to a defensive measure ("aggressive negotiations", if you know what I mean ;) ). However, because of its ritualistic background and ceremonial use in the Old Republic (Jedi making their own lightsabers being a sacred act), it is possible that the invention of these "weapons" were created beforehand by the Bendu Monks in some form or another.

Hope that helps. :)

3. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    when lightsabres were first brought into action they had to use a battery connected to the hip to power them which required a cable to be placed between the hip and the base of the lightsabre.

4. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Benji: Source?

I think I may have heard a form of that kind of primitive saber, although I cannot find a definitive source on the object nor a date to put on the creation and make of it. ;)

5. Nyghtfal

Nyghtfal Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2002
    An ancient community of Japanese Samuri actually first came up with the idea behind the lightsaber when one of their members accidently dropped his Katan in a natural spring full of radio active liquid and, upon rescuing it, proclaimed, "Dude, check it out! It glows!"

;)

6. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.