main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Origin of the Vong

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CoatesD, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoatesD

CoatesD Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2003
    Does anyone else think that the Vong are based on the Vietnamese? I mean...Yuuzhan Vong...Viet Cong?

2. 6-6-6

6-6-6 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2002
    Uuuummmmmmm......No

3. Gotterdammerung

Gotterdammerung Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Of course, it's quite obvious that the Vietnamese engage in ritual self-scarring and self-mutilation, sacrifice each other for insubordination, slowly but surely take over the world, use nothing but biotechnology... [face_sarcasm]

What? They don't? Hmm...

4. CoatesD

CoatesD Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2003
    No, I mean think about it...the US (New Republic) has little problem facing off with anyone and then gets the wood put to them by the Vietnamese (Vong), who seems to be able to appear and disappear in and out of the jungle. They have a very different culture from the US and fight unlike anything the US faced before. I do in fact realize it's a stretch, but I'm interested to know what the actual origin of the Vong is...any other ideas?

5. Han Solo Cup

Han Solo Cup Jedi Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    I don't think the Viet Cong and the Yuuzhan Vong fight similarily at all. The Vong don't do hit and run tactics they seem to be all about crushing their enemy with force.

6. Alderaanian_Jedi

Alderaanian_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2002
    I think Yuuzhan Vong society is very much inspired from WWII Imperial Japan. Suicide and stuff...

7. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    "They have a very different culture from the US and fight unlike anything the US faced before."

Korean War or Phillipine Insurrection, perhaps? Both of those were very similar warfare, particularly the latter, where the U.S. could and should have learned the lesson that jungle warfare on someone else's home turf is highly difficult.

Not to mention that we'd had dealings with the Vietnamese before the war (er, "conflict").

8. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    In a word...

Mongols.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The Vong is Cobra-la...

10. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    The authors just had the info about Cobra-La implanted beforehand so that they THOUGHT they were original ideas.

"When you were created, my face was etched into your soul."
    --Pythona to Serpentor

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    No. There are some ancient religions that are similiar, so it seems that the vong are cobbled together.

12. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    I think the Vong are based on hard core trekkies, think about it

13. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Yes because the Vong invaded Washington and took over half of the US.....

14. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Actually, i think their based on the vikings. They harassed and almost destroyed the British (a long time ago, too), until a great king (King Alfred the Great, iirc) found a way to stop it (perhaps acen will do the same?).

Also, the vikings like to attack priests, because their churches had lots of undefended gold and stuff (preists are kind of jedi-like, imo, except they dont use lightsaber or the force or fight or anything. perhaps the valuables that the vong destroyed were the Jedi's information [i.e. their knowledge of the force] or inner strength or something).

The vikings are also characterised as leading extremly harsh lives, just like the Yuuzhan vong.

Also, i remember reading some norse mythology (it's been awhile, and i forget most of it) but i remember a trickster god [Nom Anors counterpart?] used his trickery or something to trick someone into thinking they had killed their twin god or something (Jaina and Jacen are important twins. Jaina thought Jacen was dead. She probably felt partially responsible, given the circumstances. Jainas even pretending to be a god, to help trick the vong).

Thoughts?

15. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I do think there are some elements of the NJO that coincide with the Vietnam War, like the politicians running the war.

16. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    I like the Viking comparrison, the Loki part is very good. An interesting note is that the vikings were eventually assimilated into the English culture as were all its conquerors. Just another thought.

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Very interesting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.