main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Original ending to ROTJ ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Tycho_Celchu_NRAF, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandMoffTalking

GrandMoffTalking Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2001
    Let's put it this way: the musical number in Jabba's palace that replaces "Celebrate the Love" on the ROTJ SE is about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better than the full version of "Celebrate the Love" (fortunately the worst parts of the song were not part of the movie itself).

2. GrandMoffTalking

Dec 5, 2001
    eclipseSD:

You've done the impossible.
    You've actually managed to make me hate that song more than I already had.

Now if you could just translate the rap that C3PO did in the middle of the song and my journey towards the darkside will be complete.

3. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    no way, all that crap they put in the SE was terrible. the origianl "Lapti Nek" and celebration was the best! and GL screwed it!

4. GrandMoffTalking

Dec 5, 2001
    "the origianl 'Lapti Nek' and celebration was the best!"

Yeah, I guess -- if you're really into Vanilla Ice rapping "It's a small world" in Ewokese.

5. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    what? that new crap they put in sucked! ok the original was well dine and that new stuff they put in was pointless and stupid

6. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    that new stuff they put in was pointless and stupid

Sorry, but you misspelled "wonderful and emotional" ;)

The new ending to ROTJ is IMO far superior to the old one. It actually brings me to tears. The music is much more fitting for the end of a great saga than some Ewok song. And the added scenes of the planets bring a greater sense of closure, as we see the effect that destroying the Emperor has. Even hearing the music is emotional.

7. GrandMoffTalking

Dec 5, 2001
    For the record, I have the original version of the OT only. I refuse to believe that Greedo shot first, no matter how hard GL tries to brainwash me. And the ANH Jabba was awful.

But as far as ROTJ goes, ANYTHING that got rid of that "Celebrate the Love" song was an improvement. I would prefer the SE version of ROTJ over the original even if it the ending had Jar Jar dragging Anakin's body through the death star and shouting "Ani! Ani! Mesa bustin wit happiness to see you!" AS LONG AS "Celebrate the Night" was completely excised from the soundtrack.

8. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    excuse me if i want to state my opinion!

seriously, i found it extreamly difficult to watch most of the SEs because much of the added stuff, which was very little, was stupid. the music was stupid! it was dry and unfitting. The original was a celebration, 'ya look what did!'. the new one was 'we are more importent then those who fought the battle!'. honestly peopel think, if the empires ULTRA SECRET WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION was destroyed by a motely fleet of rebels, do you think it would be front page that very second it happened?

9. DarthStothe

DarthStothe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2002
    Yeah... which makes you wonder, how did all those people on those different planets know the Emperor was dead?

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Its a movie. You people can accept a ship flying through space, with its lasers making noise before it starts going faster then the speed of light, but you have problems with the timing of the end of ther SE? ;)

For the record, I love the SE ending. I
    ve said it many times. I thought the old Yub Yub song, was complete 80s. Its sounds way to much like Van Halen's "Jump" for my tastes, and is incredibly dated.

The SE song, is one of the top John Williams pieces in the OT. And if you refuse to listen to it, your missing some of his excellent work. It conveys the feeling at the end of the trilogy of both the celebration of the battl won, as well as the sadness for friends lost in batte. Something I don't get at all from the Ewok song.

11. CountKnappula

CountKnappula Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 1999
    Needless to say, our technology is lacking when compared to the Star Wars universe. When big news happens (JFK assassination, Pearl Harbor, Sept 11, ect) word gets around pretty fast, so I see no flaw in the celebrations around the galaxy in the SE ending.

In a nostalgia sense I like Yub Yub. But I think the SE ending is much more fitting for the saga.

However I hate Jedi Rocks. Lapti Nek was a highlight of the entire trilogy for me. It's a shame it got cut. That bothers me even worse than Greedo shooting first.

12. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    All the bad changes came in ANH. ESB and ROTJ are fine as they are, though I could've done without seeing drool in the mouth of the singer in Jabba's palace.

13. Darth_Basher

Darth_Basher Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    if anyone thinks "YUB YUB" is a better ending song then the one present in the SE, then you got "PROB PROB's".

14. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Why is everyone bashing the "Yub yub" song? :confused: :_|
    It's a fun song! Really catchy. And "Yub yub" is the greatest phrase in the universe!

15. Corran_Horn_

Corran_Horn_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2002
    And suddenly I feel sooo very ooooold. . .

And I am sorry, but I really liked the original ending better.

I still play the song when I feel down. It always cheers me up.

16. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    DOn't feel old, I grew up on the Yub Yub song. But when I heard the SE version, it was like a light from heaven.

Well maybe not that, but it was better. :p

17. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    The Original end never seemed appropriate
    they rid the galaxy of the Empire and all you get are a couple of dancing Ewoks and fireworks. At least for now with the SE's I feel it is a suitable and complete ending and very emotional.

18. markdil

markdil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    I have actually never seen ROTJ SE. I'll have to pick it up some time to see the new ending.

I never had a problem with the old ending. I like seeing all the main characters getting together and partying, including Wedge! And I love the stormtrooper helmets as bongos!

I love my 1995 THX version, although I do wish it was widescreen. The SE really stinks. They should have cleaned up the FX and left the rest alone.

19. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Can anyone post a pic of Han and Leia`s
    marrige.
    It was supposed to be the final sequence but got cut later.

I know it had been filmed.

20. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    The only problem I ever had with the original ending is at the very end when they all arrange themselves in a "stage picture". I have come to terms with it by deciding they were posing for a group photo to broadcast all over the Alliance. Luke uses the Force to push the button on the camera, before you ask. I love the "Yub Yub" song. I already said that, so I'll mention that I sing it when I'm happy, complete with dance.

21. Jaiden

Jaiden Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2002
    People, you need to get a life. This is GL's sandbox we're trying to change and manipulate. So what if he wants to make some changes? So what if the technology of today affords the chance of making his original vision come true? So what if there are a few technical and editing flaws? GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to gripe and complain about every little thing you find wrong with a film, try making one of your own. Go march your happy little but down to WalMart, buy a camera and film, write a story, hire actors, and shoot the movie. Then sit down and try to edit the thing together in a watchable format. Finally after you release it, just sit back and wait for the criticism to come in. "You could have done this/that better." "You missed something here." etc... You get the point? It's not as easy as it looks. And maybe after you're through wading around in the piles of email complaints, you'll learn to keep your mouth shut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    They interviewed GL in the magazine Film Comment. Anybody else read that? The one with Yoda on the cover.
    It doesn't technically have to do with the original ending to ROTJ but it somewhat applies to the discussion that is taking place.

23. COSLeiaOrganaSolo

COSLeiaOrganaSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 15, 2002
    I prefer Lapti Nek to that other (stupid) song it was replaced with.

24. Dagobah1234

Dagobah1234 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    The actual original ending to Return of the Jedi included Lando dieing. When trying to escape the death star, him and the Falcon don't make it out of the explosion, and are taken with the death star. Hence the line : "I got a funny felling, like I'm not going to see her again."

Lucas decided to leave the line though.

25. OrgulloDelPuma

OrgulloDelPuma Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2003
    But they never even filmed that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.