main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Original ESB 2 album mix

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Obi-Qui-Jin, Apr 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Qui-Jin

Obi-Qui-Jin Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2001
    I'm new to this forum and I hope I'm not asking a common question.

I loved the original 2 album mix for ESB so much that I spent many hours making a mix based on an old tape I had. All of the cues are on the ESB:SE CD's. The only place I had to fudge it was the start of Hyperspace where there was a little to much punch on the SE version so I used about 1 sec from the anthology CD. All said and done it takes a little over 74 minutes and fits on 1 CD.

Some of you may be a little young to remember this so here is the tracklist:

Star Wars (Main Theme)
    Yoda's Theme
    The Training of a Jedi Knight
    The Heroics of Luke and Han
    The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)
    Departure of Boba Fett
    Han Solo and the Princess
    Hyperspace
    The Battle in the Snow
    The Asteroid Field
    The City in the Clouds
    Rebels at Bay
    Yoda and the Force
    The Duel
    The Magic Tree
    Lando's Palace
    Finale

Anyhow, I was wondering if there is a CD out there somewhere with this mix?

2. EV-9D9_ROTJ

EV-9D9_ROTJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2001
    No, I don't think, that there was a CD version of that mix. The first ESB CD was only one CD.

But I actually work on a movie version mix. TESB Soundtrack has so many tracks that weren't in the film, or in different mixed versions. So I have finished 10 tracks yet (Fox Fanfare doesn't count):

01. 20th Century Fox Fanfare (Okay, nothing to mix here)
    02. Main Title (That was a mix of three tracks: Main Title, The Probe Droid and Arrival On Dagobah)
    03. Goodbye, Princess (This is actually a "cut-out" from the original Main Title)
    04. The Wampa's Lair (It's faded out, where it ends in the movie)
    05. The Vision Of Obi-Wan (It's faded in, where it begins in the movie)
    06. The Snowspeeders Take Flight - Luke In Bacta (Again a three-track-mix: Hyperspace, Luke's Rescue and The Wampa's Lair)
    07. Aboard The Executor (Mix from the original track and Imperial March)
    08. Drawing The Battle Lines - Leia's Instructions (There was nothing to mix)
    09. The Battle Of Hoth (Some parts were repeated in the movie, so I made it also)
    10. The Asteroid Field (I'm glad that there was nothing to mix here (one of the best))
    11. Arrival On Dagobah (It's faded out, where it ends in the movie)

I'll mix more in the next weeks...

Greetz
    EV

3. Fatboy_Roberts

Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2000
    I always thought the Anthology Box Set version of Empire Strikes Back WAS the original Double LP mix of the soundtrack.

Peace,
    Fatboy

4. Obi-Qui-Jin

Obi-Qui-Jin Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2001
    I have the anthology version and it is very different.

I have the 2 album version and it came out just before the movie. There is also a cassette tape which I also have. The cover is a picture of Darth Vaders Helmet amid a see of stars. The album contains a picture book with album sized pictures from the movie. I listed the tracks above in my first post. I vividly remember getting this before the movie was released and opening it on the way home in the car as my dad was getting gasoline. Sitting in the back seat of the car I was amazed by the pictures. At that time I was a total Star Wars geek. I think I listened to it hundreds of times when I was young.

I appreciate that they did eventually release more music from the soundtrack but I have always loved the flow of the original 2 album set. In fact, I loved it so much that I recently spent well over 80 hours mixing the cues together to get a very close proximity to it.

5. Fatboy_Roberts

Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2000
    ah, you are correct sir. I just checked out
    http://www.classicalrecordings.com/johnwilliams/swindepth.htm

and noticed the difference. Did you know about this site beforehand? Mighta made the editing a lil easier for you.

peace,
    Fatboy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.