main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Original George Lucas's prequel outline revealed

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, May 24, 2013.

1. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    whostheBossk and Darth Dnej like this.
  2. venepe

venepe Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    At least that explains Leia's memories of her real mother. Everything else pretty much remains the same in a general way.

LunarMoth and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Images and feelings doesn't mean they have to have known each other for very long, or even been with each other, period. It's possible that she and her daughter shared a psychic connection while she was still growing in her belly and Luke didn't. Hence the reason why Padme only thought there was one child and not two.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Seagoat like this.
  4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Yeah, it's not hard to understand that there is some weird spiritual connection going on between Leia and her mother, kinda like Paul Atriedes and his kids in Dune Messiah, or even Alia from the first Dune book.

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    So Padme just abandons her own son on a dustball planet, with some random family (They weren't indicated to be related by law in this article at least) and meanwhile, she takes her daughter to live a life of luxury as a princess?! Parents aren't supposed to pick favorites <_<

6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Exactly. Star Wars psionics is no different than any other science fiction.

7. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    I want a time machine, so that George Lucas can make those movies.

8. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Amen. If Anakin had to be a kid, it should have been in flashbacks or for the first third of the first prequel movie.

whostheBossk and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  9. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    This statement is so utterly incorrect that it blows the mind. The concept of the Force is totally different from psionics, and it is one of the main things that makes Star Wars so unique and beloved, and gives it so much lasting value wherein other sci fi comes and goes like the wind, but SW always remains affixed in the public mind all over the world.

Mandolorian551X likes this.
  10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Even if Obi-Wan is conceived of as the main character, I don't think Anakin's turn happening off-screen would have been a good idea at all. The "mystery" sounds neat on paper, but it wouldn't have worked very well in practice.

11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Okay, you're right — in a way. Although the source of where the power comes from is different, but how it works is quite similar, which is through the use of the mind. Hence concentration and focus is essential in its use. Again, I don't see reading minds and moving objects any different than other films, but that's just me I guess.

12. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013
    It could have been revealed to the audience but still a mystery in-universe. A good mysterious mole-hunt.

Paparazzo and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  13. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    In that case the mystery is just shifted to Palpatine, and the question of who's really behind the Clone Wars. Which is a more relevant story than "who's killing the Jedi on all these missions Anakin's being sent on?".

14. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    As much as I enjoy the PT, I always thought it would have been better if AOTC story & parts of TPM story were Episode I while ROTS story was spread out over Episode II & III because that was the meat of the story.

15. Darth Dnej

Apr 27, 2013
    Exactly. Imagine it like this.

Episode I: The Clone War (30 BBY, 22 BBY)

Start with Obi-Wan (already a Knight) meeting Anakin on Tatooine. Anakin is an orphan, and Obi-Wan discovers that the force is strong with him. Then jump 8 years later with Anakin and Obi-Wan in the forefront of The Clone Wars

Episode II: Rise of the Empire (19 BBY)

Anakin is a Jedi Knight, but he grows restless with the Order and leaves. Eventually he is swayed by Palpatine and becomes Darth Vader. End with the duel on Mustafar and the birth of the twins.

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (18 BBY)

It has taken a year for Darth Vader to recover mentally and physically as well as learn new tactics. He exterminates many Jedi and hunts down escaping ones. Have the film involve Jedi and Rebels fighting the Empire and end the film on Yoda vs. Palpatine intercut with Vader taking down a highly skilled Jedi (like Mace Windu).

16. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Me too my friend. It's a shame the Rebellion is not even mentioned. Or that you don't get to see Darth Vader kill another jedi (on-screen).

17. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    But what about the classic Darth Maul and Qui-Gon Jinn characters?

bibfortuitous and Darth Dnej like this.
  18. Darth Dnej

Apr 27, 2013
    Hmmm. Qui-Gon could be downplayed or eliminated entirely.

As for Maul, have Obi-Wan and Anakin fight him at the end of Episode I and cut him in half. He would return in Episode II and be killed by Anakin in front of Palpatine.

Dooku could still play a part. He could be a ex-Jedi political ally that is introduced at the end of Episode I and accidently kills himself in a duel with Obi-Wan on Utapau.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  19. SweetZombieJesus

Apr 12, 2013

Eliminate Dooku and make Maul stick around more than one movie. Qui-Gon isn't important if Obi-Wan takes his role.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  20. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I understand the importance of Obi-Wan and he could have taken Qui-Gon's role, but Qui-Gon's character was kind of the catalyst for Obi-Wan's character in the OT using Jedi mind tricks and stuff...so in that respect I feel like Qui-Gon may have been an irreplaceable component in the PT as a whole.
    Mind you...I also say this because I think Liam Nieson's awesome too...

Pensive Padme likes this.
  21. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Those plots just sound awful. I could not even get myself to read the whole thing.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Sorry but introducing Anakin and then jumping ahead 8 years just isn't the way a Star Wars film is structured nor should it be.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  23. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Yeah. Lucas realized that early on. He'd set up a format of keeping the narrative in present-tense, and had to stick with it. If he had used the flashback idea, people would've been complaining about that instead.

24. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    All of these sound better than what we were given.

Disney, please, oh please, after the ST, let JJ, or better yet, Joss, re-make the PT.

Sarge, TOSCHESTATION and Darth Dnej like this.
  25. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    The problem I have with this is that narratively, it's a dead end (in my opinion). The story of the PT is the story of the fall of the Republic, the Jedi, and Anakin and the rise of the Empire. After that has occurs, there really isn't anything left to tell plot-wise. The arc is complete.

In essence, I find that a lot of re-writes focus on the Clone Wars -- the actual battles -- and seeing suited Darth Vader in action. In terms of character arcs and the storyline, though, I this isn't what is important. The Clone Wars were a phony, manufactured war and were meant to serve primarily as a backdrop to the developing political situation. The PT essentially takes us through the most politically important moments of the PT era -- Palpatine's rise to the Chancellorship, the beginning of the war, and the formation of the Empire. The Clone Wars themselves, while certainly interesting, don't affect the outcome nearly as much as one would think, given that both sides are controlled by the same guy.

TPM functions moreso to put all our players into position. AOTC reveals the trap that Palpatine has been setting and that the Jedi and Republic are falling into. Then ROTS springs the trap and shows the fallout.

Suited Vader and the hunting of the Jedi, while certainly cool, would just be extraneous in that context.

Just my opinion of course -- I can see why some people would prefer something different. But I don't really think it would have fit with what Lucas was aiming for, personally.