main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Original George Lucas's prequel outline revealed

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, May 24, 2013.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    No, no, no, no, no!!!
    If that must be done, then the OT is in DIRE need of a remake!!!!

But rather, lets not touch Lucas' beautiful Saga just because we don't like a few elements!

2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    This is the way the story is written now, but it needn't be the only way the story operates. For example, if the Clone Wars take place at the beginning of the narrative (or closer to the beginning) they might simply be a series of wars that take place in the galaxy and which devastate the Republic, giving Anakin some traumatic experiences as a participant, which then fuel his political leanings when Palpatine starts to come to power shortly thereafter. The Wars are manipulated by Palpatine in the current conception, but in principle, if one is retelling the story, he might just take advantage of their having happened anyway. This kind of retelling would probably necessitate a change in the dynamics and participants of the Wars, but then, we are talking about rewriting here. And anyway, I'm not sure Lucas knew what the Clone Wars would be until relatively late in the process. In some early versions of ESB, Lando was a clone, from a planet of clones, which had been damaged in the Wars. The point being, this is a plot point that seems like it was in motion for awhile.

TOSCHESTATION and Darth Dnej like this.
  3. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The prequels are perfect as they are. That 1981. outline is just an outline, it evolved through time and it became better, perfect.

I'll paraphrase something one wise man said:

"There are many parts of the movies that I'm not proud of... there were loose threads... untidy parts that I would like to remove. But when I pulled on one of those threads... it had unraveled the tapestry of the saga."

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I get that, but I think without that aspect -- Palpatine essentially manufacturing the war -- the story would lose a lot of its thematic beauty and contrast with the OT. One of the reasons, I would argue, that the OT and PT work well is that the counterpoint and counterbalance each other. The Rebellion is a group of oppressed citizens rallying together and risking their lives to throw off the mantle of oppression. Theirs was a legitimate struggle against an authoritarian force. The Clone Wars, though, was a sham, motivated by greedy corporations and ambitious politicians. It sent billions of faceless and easily replaceable men to their deaths while the population stayed behind in comfort. That the Jedi were complicit in this underlies their weaknesses. Because great nations don't fall due to exterior pressures alone. They have internal weakness as well. The Jedi were not overwhelmed by sheer force but instead were destroyed, in part, by their own failings.

It's a message of the importance of vigilance in our institutions and political systems. For us to simply be thrown into an already existing war, without seeing (overall), the roots from which it stems would (in my opinion) reduce the power of that message. I get that some people were disappointed in the lack of a side to really "root" for, since everyone had problems and failings, but I think this better addresses the reality of the situation and shows the events of the OT in starker contrast.

5. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Oh dear....

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I like the Prequels the way are, so thank god those were only outlines

7. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    The prequels came out perfect? Even the OT was not perfect to me, and I think it is far superior to the PT. I would say about 2/3 of the people who saw the prequels were at the very LEAST disappointed.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Pretty much my opinion as well.

So he's wrong because he doesn't share your opinion?

Irrelevant speculation.

9. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I didn't say he was wrong, I just think calling anything perfect is quite bold.

How is my speculation irrelevant? This is about the prequels that could have been, and even the people who like/love the prequels have to come to grips with the fact that a large percentage of people were disappointed with the prequels (just like fans have to concede to fact that a lot of people enjoyed the prequels).

Sarge likes this.
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Well, perfection is subjective.

Irrelevant in the sense that there is no way to prove that 2/3 of those who saw the prequels were dissapointed, and even if true, it doesn't make his claim any less valid (thus being irrelevant).

11. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    No, the prequels are not perfect, I didn't mean like perfection. Many have said that they want that '81. outline and that it would be superior to that what we got. I expressed wrong and all I wanted to say that it's better what we have now than wishing something else.
    I didn't want to sound like some fanboy. :rolleyes:

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    I see your point, but I disagree here. To my mind it doesn't matter so much (to the story) if the initial war was a "real" one or a false flag of some kind (and I just realized that 'early' Clone Wars could still be false flags, too). The important part is that the politicians take advantage of those situations and use the structures of power, plus propaganda, to clamp down and turn the civilization totalitarian. That message would be present in either version - Palpatine as opportunist or Palpatine as evil mastermind.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  13. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Ignoring all the other points that Piett is making, Palpatine as an opportunist rather than an evil mastermind would've been at least somewhat contradictory of how we saw him in the OT-- as an evil mastermind.

QuangoFett and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  14. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    For me, I suppose it's important because I think that, thematically, seeing people give into their fear and make the wrong decision is important. And I don't know if having Palpatine simply hijack an existing war would be quite as effective at demonstrating that. With the Clone Wars in the PT as is, we basically do see Palpatine as both evil mastermind and opportunist. Had the Senate held fast to its principles -- being willing to listen and engage diplomatically, I don't think the Separatist movement would have ever gained traction. In part, I think the PT demonstrates that it is the times that our principles are tested that it is most important to live up to them.

In regards to Palpatine as an opportunist, I do think we see him inhabit this role too. He quickly took advantage of Padmé's successful escape from Naboo to nab the Chancellorship. He furthermore quickly made use of Shmi's death to further lure Anakin to the Dark Side. But he is a mastermind at heart -- a schemer. "Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design." I'd be sad if we could only choose him to play one or the other.

15. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    Message got screwed up, will respond later.

16. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013

It could have actually been an arc for his character if done right.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    He's a villain. Villains don't usually have arcs. Vader did, and then he wasn't a villain anymore.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I don't think anyone can argue that Palpatine is the main villain of the first six episodes (I was going to say saga, but with Episode 7 on the horizon that might not be the case).

19. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I personally am glad it didn't turn out that way! I can't imagine a star wars with out a wall-jumping Jedi fighter Yoda, or the PT Anakin we got!

Anyways, Leia's whole mother problem can still be solved, what if her adopted mother died when she was young, what if she actually does remember Padme?

20. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    What if she didn't?

21. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Dreams maybe? Jedi have a way with seeing the future, couldn't they also see visions from the past?

Anyways, we can't judge everything in star wars by saying they are "Impossible" I mean, the rebels did blow up both of the death stars, one by a one man fighter, and the other one's shield was taken down by a small group of rebels and a bunch of ewoks!

22. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Am I the only one who reads that and thinks of The Royal Tenenbaums?

"Now, we all know that Padme Amidala after being strangled on Mustafar. What this book presupposes is: maybe she didn't?"

23. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    The problem is Luke says "your mother -- your REAL mother"

Darth Dnej and Carbon1985 like this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    "Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future...the past. Old friends long gone." -- Yoda.

"Just...images, really. Feelings." -- Leia.

It seems to me she's remembering visions of her mother. I can totally accept this explanation.

Alexrd and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  25. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Same. I am ok with this. After reading through some of this thread, I'm also glad that the PT didn't turn out the way it was described in the linked article. In it's description it just seemed so much less....epic. But that is likely because all of the stories and arcs weren't flushed out any more than in a single page of text, so I guess it could have turned out ok.