main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Original Material vs. Existing Material

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by The Hellhammer, Nov 5, 2012.

1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I've seen a lot of people suggesting already existing characters/events/concepts/whatnot as being a larger feature of the ST.

I have to say I completely disagree with this.

While I do understand someone's wish to see their favorite EU, TCW or PT thing appear in ST in a larger role - there is no need to recycle already used and seen content.

I find it highly implausible that anything from any existing material will feature in ST as anything larger than a few second cameo for fans to enjoy. There is simply no need to waste an opportunity to create something new and fresh in Star Wars by adapting or reusing existing stuff. At least, in these first movies.
    Later on, who knows, but now I simply don't see it as happening.

2. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    As long as something *interesting* happens and it's not some "here we go again" retread. If Han Solo and Lando are both in it, they better not argue *once* about the Falcon.

3. Rogue 23

Rogue 23 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 15, 1998
    You need to keep in mind that Coruscant was a EU name and not a OT or George Lucas name. It was used, it came and it went. No big deal, it didn't bring the world to an end, so a few ideas or information from the EU is not a bad thing. You also need to keep in mind, that almost all SW novels go to the top of the New York Times best sellers list. That means a lot of people read them.

syferdiasisalie likes this.
  4. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I hope they do use some characters from the EU.

For example, if Han and Leia did get married and had children, why not twins named Jacen and Jaina as well as a third child named Anakin?

If Luke gets married and has a son, why not have it be with Mara Jade and a son named Ben?

To me that would be like the use of Coruscant and Aayla Secura in the PT. that way it doesn't completely negate everything about the EU, while still not restricted to having to closely follow it.

Plus with the movie most likely taking place during the New Jedi Order time period(not talking about story wise, but the time period that's 30+ years ABY), the Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire Trilogy could possibly still be canon.

But I'm ok with going a different way from the NJO era, since I don't care for what happened to Chewie, Anakin, Mara, or Jacen.

syferdiasisalie likes this.
  5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Concepts and places, I'm fine with, because there are a lot of things that already exist that would simply be absurd to ignore (due to their being the result of a logical continuation of the Original Trilogy).

Characters, we have no reason to see.

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    One thing that's really bugging me is that I wish TCW crew had not been siphoning off every last old film concept art idea to put in the show. There are a lot of concepts and visuals that could have worked perfectly as sequel trilogy connective tissue. Obviously, there's always more concepts out there, but some of those old Ralph McQuarrie designs might have had more impact if saved for the big screen.

7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    To be clear, I am not against mentioning places from EU or giving characters cameos and acknowledging many aspects of EU.
    It would illogical to just sweep it all away but what I am against is using some specifics in a prominent role.

Like using, I dunno, the Vong as the main villains, or the Nightsisters or having Zsinj be the bad guy, just to list a few things randomly.

In that department I think we should have completely new stuff, without just putting some existing events or characters on the big screen.