main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Original NZ '77 Release of ANH - Cut Scenes

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by THX1138-4EB, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THX1138-4EB

THX1138-4EB Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2002
    I saw ANH in New Zealand in the cinema in 1977 when I was a kid (or 1978, I'm not sure exactly when it came out in NZ), and I have always been absolutely POSITIVE that I saw the scenes with Biggs and Luke's friends on Tattoine. Even my PARENTS remembered seeing these scenes! I remember when ANH was first shown on TV in the UK a couple of years later, and me and my parents were wondering why these bits were missing!

I also seemed to remember other little bits:

When Luke races back to the Lars homestead, before he finds his Aunt and Uncles' bodies outside the house, I seem to remember seeing Luke looking for them in the circular area that is sunken into the ground (the area that Aunt Beru calls up to Luke from when we first see him).

A bit with C3PO piloting the land speeder, (which I've recently found out was in the "lost cut").

Where Luke and Leia swing across the chasm because the bridge is out, I always seem to remember seeing a scene where you actually see this bridge in operation! I seem to remember it projecting flat beam/s of energy across the gap, and seeing stormtroopers marching across it!

At the time ANH came out, I did not have any Star Wars merchandise, and I never read any of the books etc, so I couldn't have known about these scenes from that, and my parents certainly wouldn't have read any of them!

I've heard that some of these scenes were shown in a making of Star Wars at the time, so I suppose it's possible I saw them there, but I think it's unlikely because I'm sure I saw these scenes in their entirety, and I doubt this TV show would have included much of these scenes.

I don't remember "imagining" any extra scenes in any other movie I've ever seen, including movies from the same period as ANH.

Is there anyone else who saw ANH in NZ in '77/78 who can remember any cut scenes?

2. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    starwars.com had an article on this a while back:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/feature/20000530/indexp2.html

I'm too young to have seen any of the films in the theatre originally, but I do have all kinds of strange memories of seeing them for the first time on tv. Like in my early memories of seeing ESB, the scene where Vader tells Luke that he is his father has an orange, cloudy background, and the distance between Vader and Luke is a lot closer.

When I saw ROTJ SE in the theatre, I went with a friend who hasn't seen any of the movies since childhood. When it got to the scene with Vader and Luke on the balcony, she said 'oh yeah, I remember this scene. This is where he cuts off his hand!'. Old memories sort of meld together, I think.

3. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    I "remember" the Biggs scenes, although I think that this is from
    a) the Marvel comic books adapatation, the novelisation and the movie storybook, which had still images of those scenes in it. I've read enough stuff to convince me that those scenes were never in the theatrical release.

As for the energy beam bridge with the Stormtroopers on it ... ???? Never heard of that one before, sorry.

4. THX1138-4EB

THX1138-4EB Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2002
    Yeah, I've read that alot on the net that people who think they've seen the deleted scenes must have seen them in the books or comics etc. But when the original movie came out, I did not have any Star Wars merchandise, or read any of the books until a few years later. And besides, my parents weren't really into Star Wars, so they certainly didn't read any of the books etc, and they remembered the scenes!

I've just been looking on the net to try to find more about The Making of Star Wars, but apparently it only had a very quick glimpse of the Biggs scene, so I don't think I'd seen it there.

I agree that when you're young, you can get muddled on details in a movie or imagine things differently, but I don't think you could imagine entire scenes that weren't there, and then later find out that these scenes did actually exist. Well, not unless I'm psychic! :eek:P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.