1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:WA 'Original' Original trilogy DVDs

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by soneil, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    A while back we were discussing DVDs of the pre-special edition DVDs. Since then I've got copies of them and as I'll be in Perth at Christmas, I thought some of you fine folks might want a copy. Now I don't condone piracy but I figure that pretty much everyone here has either a copy of the orginals on video or a copy of the special editions on DVD - or both. So since Lucas wants to pretend the special editions are the only versions that ever existed and refuses to release anything else on DVD, I don't have a problem with copying the versions we grew up with which I know many of you think is the better version.
    Now the versions I got I'm pretty impressed with. I downloaded them off Bit Torrent as DVD images, along with JPG files of the covers. I added the cover files to the DVD images when I burnt my own copies. The films were transferred from the 9 disc laser-disc box set that came out in 1993, so they are from a digital format and they are pre-special edition. The picture quality's good, certainly better than video and they appear to me to be as good as regular DVD quality, and the audio is dolby 2.1. The movies all have a comentary from several people including lucas, MacQuarie & others. Unlike the commentaries in the prequel DVDs, the discussons are about the films themselves rather than being about how brightly the sun shines out of GL's butt. Each movie is on it's own disc and there's a 4th disc with special features. The special features are good and there's some stuff on there I'd never seen before.
    Now here's the deal. If a lot of you want copies, I don't really have that much room to bring stuff to Perth with me so I was thinking I could bring copies for 1 or 2 people who have a DVD burner, and then they can make copies for others who want them. So any of you who have a DVD burner, want a copy and/or would be willing to make copies for other people, I'll bring a copy for you and you can give me some blank DVDs in return. I won't print out any covers since any of you would probably have a colour printer at least as good as my crappy old one (which I'll be replacing with a new one I'm getting on this trip). You can print your own covers from the JPGs on the discs. Any interested parties, post here or PM me.
    I hope Fanforce admins won't have a problem with this. Like I said, I'm doing this on the understanding that those who get copies of these versions that can't be bought, have already bought an official version of some kind. Technically it may be seen as piracy but I don't think it is in principle. In fact, I'll even add a condition that anyone wanting a copy from me first has to show me that they own a bought copy of either the original videos or the new DVDs.
  2. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    I believethe letter of the law regarding copying films extends to your right to make a back up copy for personal use.

So yeah, asking ppl to show you their own, bought copies first is a good idea.

I have the bit torrents, but I haven't gotten around to d/loading them yet, maybe after Xmas when I get a DVD burner.

Noone should have a problem with this, seeing as the originals will no longer be marketed, and we've all bought these films enough times already.

Just a glance at my DVD/video shelf shows 3 different versions of the trilogy sitting there anyway.
  3. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    If you're heading over here any time in the near future I can save you the download. The whole lot add up to about 15Gb worth which is a fair bit even if it's quota free.
    I actually downloaded DivX copies about half a year ago but these are much better. :)
  4. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Master

star 4
    *raises hand* I'd like to get a copy for Soup.
  5. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, I'm not going to be heading back anytime soon, But I may just mail you some disks.
    Clare's dad wants a copy as well, He refuses to acknowledge the existence of the special editions, or the prequels :)
  6. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with him on the special editions. The prequels - in a way I kinda see them in the same way I see the EU stuff. Entertaining but not necessarily on the same level as the OT.
  7. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, at least the EU didn't go in for Midichlorians I suppose...

I will say though, I do enjoy the DVDs, realistically, it's less than 5% altered from the original, and we have it in crisp, clear sound, and with the best transfer I've ever seen on a DVD.

This doesn't mean I don't cringe every time Greedo shoots first, think the new Jabba scene was at all necesary or like the new musical number in Jabba's palace.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.