main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Original Saga characters that have benefited from TCW series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by kryptonjedi, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kryptonjedi

kryptonjedi Jedi Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    What characters from the six movies do you think have been more developed? Have come to understand better? Or overall have just been portrayed better in your eyes.

Two examples IMO would Darth Maul and Anakin Skywalker.

With Darth Maul simply you actually get to know what kind of person he is, since he got killed off pretty quickly in the movies.

Because TCW is a television series the writers have a lot more time put the characters in different situations and develop certain relationships. Which also allows the audience to see different aspects of certain characters.

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, Anakin, no doubt.

rumblewagon likes this.
  3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker individually and as a pair.

rumblewagon likes this.
  4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Anakin and Obi-Wan definitely. Their history in this series now feels like these two have had a history when watching ROTS and not a forced relationship.

And Tarkin was always a evil awesome jerk.

rumblewagon and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  5. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Anakin, Obi-Wan, Maul, Tarkin are the only ones that jump to mind.

rumblewagon likes this.
  6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Anakin: He's almost exactly what I thought of him when Obi-Wan described him as a "good friend" in A New Hope.

Obi-Wan: His character is expanded more and the contrast between him and his apprentice is better defined.

Darth Maul: What's there to say? He has a character now. And what a character it is. He's shown to be incredibly sneaky, intelligent, and manipulative yet he's also emotionally vulnerable, as exemplified by his scene with him, Obi-Wan, and Satine. As soon as Obi-Wan mentions the fact that Maul never chose to be Sith, he gives an outburst and you can tell that part of his rage at that moment was powered by his own insecurity.

Wilhulf Tarkin: He's got good chemistry with Anakin and he represents the Republic turning into the Empire.

Darth Sidious: He was in the best lightsaber fight ever. 'Nuff said.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin, Obi-Wan, Tarkin, Maul, possibly Sidious

rumblewagon likes this.
  8. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Well until the series is over I won't pass judgement on the major characters, but as for secondary characters?
    Tarkin. I love what they've done with him and unlike many of the other OT tie-in characters his appearance does not feel forced at all. I'm so glad they brought him back for this arc cause I'm really enjoying all of his additional screen time. :cool:

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin Obi-Wan as friends and Anakin as a person.
    I would say Tarkin but I've only seen him in 1 episode and part of another so too early to tell for me but most likely yes.

rumblewagon likes this.
  10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Haven't you seen the Citadel arc?

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Parts of it. I saw a part where Anakin mentioned Tarkin and did a double take but had to go do something else or it was the end of the episode. Can't remember. That arc is coming up in my watch through

12. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Anakin
    Padme
    Maul, obviously
    Dooku
    Tarkin
    Obi Wan
    R2-D2
    Jar Jar
    Grievous
    Tarpals
    Boba Fett
    Bossk
    Aura Sing

Characters that haven't benefited

-Dengar (Got owned)

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I half to strongly disagree with that. Dengar was always one of the least impressive bounty hunters - no special tools or techniques, known mostly for his biggest screw up.

Stealthy attaching bombs to ninjas during hand to hand combat has to be the highlight of his career - he out ninjad ninjas! Greatly improved the character in my eyes.

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Can't say as I like how Padme's character was expanded upon, myself.

JackG likes this.
  15. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    Poor Dengar....

Bo-Katan likes this.
  16. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    I agree that Dengar seemed basically super lame in the Saga. However, Clone Wars took away any imagination on his skills.... Now we know how good at fighting he is, and it did not benefit him. Not saying that I even care, just now I view him as generally a weaker bounty hunter after what I saw in TCW.

The way I see it, Dengar was getting whooped hand to hand. He managed to plant 2 bombs on the ninjas while they were kicking his butt. which got him those two kills. Then he got knocked down shortly afterwards. Compared to Bossk who got close to a dozen kills and Boba who probably got around twenty kills. It just made Dengar seem pretty lame to me, although I've always viewed him as lame.

17. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    >TCW
    >improving a saga character

pick one

18. Darthgoodguy

Darthgoodguy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    The most

Maul (was VERY skeptical about his resurrection but Dave & co. sold me with the last arc; just, Wow.) & Anakin (hated his portrayal in EP II)

Also

Plo Koon (was my favorite new jedi in EP I but was never even given a line in the prequels)
    Tarkin (fantastic addition! Feels very organic to the story)
    Obi-Wan (you sly dog ;p )
    All the Clones! (1 dimensional in the films)
    Aurra Sing (EP I, what a tease)

AkashKedavra_93 and rumblewagon like this.
  19. Darthgoodguy

Darthgoodguy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Also liked the payoff from the Mace Jango confrontation!

20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Anakin Skywalker without question. This Anakin is more the one talked about in the OT rather than that guy called Anakin in the PT.
    To me the show did the equivalent of turning lead into gold here.

Give a close 2nd too Tarkin, why oh why he wasn't used in the PT (and yes I know he was in Sith for a pointless blink and miss it unamed cameo) considering his position in ANH is a bit of a mystery , I guess Lucas felt we needed scenes of Padme talking about fixing up the baby's room instead.

rumblewagon and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  21. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Anakin (I actually want to have conversations and spend time with him unlike movie Anakin, where I just want to avoid eye contact)
    The clones (Excellent characterization and fleshed out personalities rather than the boom-fall-down CGI schlock that was movie clones is fantastic)
    Padme (No vapid lines or nonsensical conversations with movie Anakin, so it's a no-brainer here)
    Maul (Greatly fleshed out and briefly sympathetic; his Ep1 performance still feels empty but he's great here)
    Boba (He stopped being a tee-hee kid and more of a cunning, badass orphan kid)
    Tarkin (Smug and cunning in one package)
    Grievous (But not by much. Saying he's better here is like saying rotting food tastes better than excrement)
    The battle droids (Although rare in instance, the few glimpses of ruthlessness and cunning as opposed to HERPDERP movie droids is a welcome sight)

and...

Jar-Jar: (Yesssssssss... HIM. At least he has the semblance of a cunning fool rather than an actual fool here)

Darthgoodguy and rumblewagon like this.
  22. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Maul, Anakin, and Obi-Wan, for reasons mentioned above.

rumblewagon likes this.
  23. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Keeping it to secondary characters only;

Tarkin; as deliciously evil as ever.
    Jabba the Hutt; we've had an expanded insight into just how powerful Jabba and the Hutts are.
    Boba; bit of a controversial one for some, but I like seeing more of the guy's fledgling career visualised.
    Yularen; nice for a background mustache to have such a prominent role.
    Commander Cody; little touches, like their teamwork during the Young Jedi arc, helps build up Cody's working relationship with Obi-Wan.
    Sy Snootles; genuinely one of the most surprising moments of TCW was Snootles' quickdraw.
    Bossk; Nice to see the lizard live up to his fiercesome first appearance in ESB.

rumblewagon likes this.
  24. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I think everyone is better off for having met Ahsoka.

25. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Almost anyone who didn't have dialogue in the saga and now does. I'm thinking prequel Jedi, mostly.

Anakin seems obvious, as pretty much every post up to this point seems to agree.

Maul. Definitely Jar Jar. He hasn't bothered me in the movies like he used to, but TCW makes me actually like him from time to time.

rumblewagon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.