main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Original unaltered Trilogy on Blu ray?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Doug625, Nov 15, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've heard speculation that a condition of the Disney sale was the OOT never being released, but the 2006/2008 releases make me doubt that. Any thoughts on this matter?

2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    The creator of the OOT isn't a big fan of them, so I wouldn't be that surprised.

3. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    Hell of a way to make a deal. After spending 4 billion, you'd think Disney would want the rights to do whatever with Star Wars. Same way Lucas did when he owned it.
    Conditions like these mean their ownership is not equivalent to what Lucas' ownership was, and I have to wonder how many more such stipulations were involved in that deal.
    Kind of silly to think that George would consider trying stop them from conducting good business with their property.
    It's totally possible, of course, but silly nonetheless.

Edit: Lord Vader turns his back on the young jedi, holding a boxed set in his leather grip.

Vader: I see you've constructed a new Special Edition... Your skills are complete. Indeed you ARE powerful, as Disney has foreseen.

Lucas: Come with me...

Vader: Ok. Disney doesn't have the same power you did <3

Darth Vader has left the party....

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't have any proof, but I doubt Iger would sign that. Why would he? Disney definitely wants to have full control on their property and don't want to deal with a meddling George.

5. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I heavily doubt Disney paid 4 billion to be limited to stipulations by Lucas, as I think its more a rights issue with Fox that makes its complicated. I have always defended George on the PT, but his refusal to release a fully remastered OOT just baffles me.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    There's a lot of mileage that Disney can get out of SW without the OOT though. Whilst it seems like a very strange arrangement, in light of the fact that GL clearly doesn't like those versions of the films very much, and sees them as inadequate renderings of his grand vision, it wouldn't totally surprise me.

7. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    There are of course, box office failures like John Carter, and maybe even Oblivion, and The Lone Ranger, that leave gaping holes in Disney's pocket book that a nice profit from selling the OOT could help cover up.
    Of course, box office failures still have a chance to turn a profit once they go to DVD.

8. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Hope they release it soon :)

Carbon1985 likes this.