main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Origins of Endor

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by mikadojedi, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    I saw this today in the course of reading the bible. And I jumped out of my chair. Is GL even aware of this? And what do you all think?
    1 Samuel Ch. 28 Ver. 4-8
    4 The Philistines assembled and came and set up camp at Shunem, while Saul gathered all the Israelites and set up camp at Gilboa. 5 When Saul saw the Philistine army, he was afraid; terror filled his heart. 6 He inquired of the LORD, but the LORD did not answer him by dreams or Urim or prophets. 7 Saul then said to his attendants, "Find me a woman who is a medium, so I may go and inquire of her."
    "There is one in Endor," they said. [NIV}

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Well we know that Star Wars is based on many things ... especially the Bible. I would bet that GL knew this.

3. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I have heard this before. My own opinion is mixed because a lot of SW words are simply phonetical concotions, and pretty much any word that sounds natural (Endor kind has that realistic feel to it) exists in another language (i.e. Vader means father in dutch). Although it is definitly possible that Lucas got the name from the Bible. So what is this Biblical Endor? A city or territory? Does it still exist?

4. LeiaSkywalker4

LeiaSkywalker4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2005

I did the same thing mikadojedi when I read that. Just so you know Hoth is in the Bible also, but I can't remember where in the Bible it is. All I remember is it is in the old testament.

5. mikadojedi

Sep 25, 2003
    I could not find HOTH in the bible. Though a blind 'G-d' of sorts is mentioned. And there is a Childs bible by Iva Hoth.

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I agree with zombie to an extent on this. When you are creating massive amounts of names for alien locations, it is almost inevitable that some of them have been created before. The word endor isn't complex, and it doesn't suprise me that different authors of different times have both--possibly created it independenty of each other. Then again, if Lucas did get it from the Bible--that wouldn't suprise me either.

-Seldon

7. mikadojedi

Sep 25, 2003
    Considering that both 'Ewoks' on Endor. And the withches of Endor where both practicioners of magic. It would not suprise me that GL got Endor from the Bible.

8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The ewoks didn't really practice magic, they were just pagans. In addition they might have been clever and crafty in terms of military tactics, but again there isn't anything magical about that. There is a certain story magic, in that they are able to defeat imperial troops, but they aren't magical in nature.

-Seldon

9. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Technically everyone in Star Wars is a "pagan". (maybe not Han Solo since he makes a reference to Hell :p )

10. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Somehow I doubt that GL was working on the script for ROTJ and couldn't come up with a name for the "forest planet" so he just decided to read the Bible cover to cover.

11. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Hmmmmm....

I just thought it was called Endor, because it was the "End" of the (at the time) Star Wars Trilogy....

I think that makes THE MOST SENSE OF ALL!!!!

12. Sidious-3

Sidious-3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2005

[image=http://www.videomaker.com/ftp/title_matte/THE_END.JPG]

13. Zaphod_Kenobi

Zaphod_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2005
    Don't forget that Endor is also the Elvish name for Middle-earth in the Lord of the Rings. And are the Ewoks not completely unlike Hobbits? Both groups are short in stature, large in number, and are often overlooked or ignored by the rest of the universe. And they prove to be able warriors when the enemy takes over their homeland, and are inspired to rebel. Also, do the tall trees of Endor not resemble the towering mallorn trees of Lothlorien?

Wait a minute...

* Checks post history *

WOOT! 100TH POST!! OH YEAH!
    [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]
    Go, Zaphod! It's your birthday!
    We're gonna party like it's your birthday!
    We're gonna sip coffee like it's your birthday!
    Y'know, we don't even care if it's your birthday!

14. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Rock on, Beavis... lol

15. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I think the whole Ewok culture was a bit of a mishmash of hobbits and elves from LotR. The tree houses look like a rustic version of the elegant elf dwellings in Lothlórien.

In addition, there's a scene in the Return of the King extended edition where Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are on the paths of the Dead, and the ghosts first appear and Gimli starts blowing at the wispy ghosts... The entire thing looks like a cinematic homage to Han Solo trying to blow out the flames that are going to roast him.

16. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    I once read about a "witch of Endor" and that this would stand in the Bible. Indeed, in the last Ewok movie we HAVE a kind of "witch of Endor" ... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.