main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 Orlando 2017!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by michaelsft, May 4, 2016.

1. 80ninjas

80ninjas Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    Ugh, this is going to be a nightmare. They're probably going to oversell the convention just like they did in Anaheim. This is why I was hoping they'd use both the north and west concourse. Would have spread things out a bit but they'd have had much more space to work with.

Xinau likes this.
  2. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Padme501st likes this.
  3. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    So I'm guessing if you're in the Celebration stage queue and they run out of main stage wristbands then they start handing out bands for the behind the scenes stage overflow?

I'm kinda surprised they're not using the galaxy stage as overflow for the TLJ panel.

4. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015

It seems crazy to me that they would hold these big panels (40th & TLJ) that they know 98%+ of the convention-goers will want to see, and not book them into venues that will hold everybody. Are they too cheap, or do they just want to fuel the hype?

Yeah, I know -- probably both.

Echosen likes this.
  5. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    It wouldn't be so bad if they sold the right amount of tickets. They oversold Anaheim and I can only assume they'll oversell this one too (single day passes shouldn't still be available for purchase IMO). The biggest difference between Orlando and Anaheim is that the main stage in Anaheim is several times larger and fit pretty much anybody who wanted to see what was in the room (provided you lined up on time).

Padme501st likes this.
  6. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    yeah Anaheim's biggest issue was how small the Digital stage was compared to demand. Which is about as big as Orlando's Celebration Stage or close to it.

7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm definitely going to wait in line overnight both nights. It's a lot of fun actually, you get to know people really well over the course of 12 hours. The amount of nerd discussion that takes place is awesome. And there's a mutual connection among everyone there, people automatically know why everyone else is there, there's no pressure, you can just totally be yourself, and just wait in line for Star Wars with everyone else. I did it at Anaheim for the opening panel and it was truly a great way to start off the whole weekend. If you dedicate to it early on and just know that this is what you're doing, then you're fine. It's really only the people who arrive later still expecting to get in that will create any kind of tension among those in the back of the line. I assume the panels will be in the morning. Which would also be great to get a major panel done early and have the rest of the day to do whatever. It's going to be a long first 48 hours but it will be totally worth it.

8. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    I'll see you in line then. I'm bringing my tablet and i plan on watching one of the episodes or RO with my friend and anyone else who wants to watch on it. The first 6 episodes are downloaded from my Amazon digital download so I won't need a wifi connection to stream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Echosen

Echosen Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    You are some hardcore fans. Some1 should bring a projector and a extension cord:) For myself I'm not a fan of lining up all day/nite, to listen to anyone ( i don't care who it is or what its about) speak and answer questions. I def don't want to know anything about TLJ before I watch it. 0 trailers. I was the same about TFW and RO, But that just me. Im only going for 1 1/2 days, we don't plan to attending any panels, just roaming around the exhibition hall checking stuff out, meeting people, handing out free stuff I'm bringing along, doing little shopping, while enjoying the other things i have planned, the Drowning in moonlight gala, DGNights, and a full day wed at DHWStudios.

10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Padme501st:

That's awesome. I'm doing something similar. I learned from last time, so I plan on bringing my portable DVD player and watching Rebels and whatever SW movies I feel like. It's a pretty good chunk of time, especially doing it over two nights, so there's going to be plenty of time to watch various things, with little cat naps in between. And yea, anyone else is welcome to watch. I'm sure even if people aren't watching they'll appreciate it being on and just adding to the atmosphere.

Padme501st likes this.
  11. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    The Lanyards are Yavin 4 medals and they look amazing! haven't received mine yet but saw pics on facebook. They did a great job.

12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    They do look pretty darn sweet. My Last Jedi shirts are being delivered tomorrow. I leave for Las Vegas on Sunday for Cinemacon then come back home for a few days then it's time for Celebration. The next few weeks should fly by.

13. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    You were all over this my friend. Well done!

TK--421 likes this.
  14. jerejerebinks

jerejerebinks Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 24, 2017
    So 3700+ for Valencia ABC, 2600+ for overflow at Celebration Stage, Any idea capacity at W304 or the BTS Stage?

Just trying to wrap my head around the chaos of getting a wristband for these things.

15. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    W304 seats about 1500 IIRC. W304 is the BTTS.

Here's what gets me though: you can only get two wrist bands total each day. So essentially, if you want to be in the 40th anniversary and TLJ rooms then you can either only go to one other panel on the galaxy stage that day or none and go to one other on the celebration stage.

Is it just me or does it seem like Anaheim was so much easier to deal with without this wristband policy? Despite the convention center being bigger than Anaheim, the rooms in Anaheim were much larger and could hold more people.

16. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    1,621 according to the floor plans. So you'll have about 3,700 to see it live and about 4,200 or so combined in overflow rooms.

jerejerebinks likes this.
  17. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017
    Sorry that was supposed to say "FOR" the BTS Stage. Thanks for the info folks. Close to 8K makes me feel a little better.

18. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, if seeing it in person isn't a huge priority to you, it shouldn't be hard to get in an overflow room.

19. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    For the three big panels (SW40, TLJ, Rebels S4), the Galaxy Stage (capacity 3789) will be where the presentation is actually taking place. It's being streamed to the Celebration Stage (capacity 2643) and the Behind the Scenes Stage (capacity 1621) for overflow.

So after VIPs and reserved seating, probably 3389 total in Galaxy, and the full capacity in streaming rooms (4264), is a total of 7653.

I can't imagine 3389 people being in line overnight. So I'm willing to bet if you gamble on overnight, barring the line being filled with cutters when the doors open at 5AM, you are pretty much a lock to make the Galaxy Stage.

Conversely, I'm also willing to bet if you show up at 5AM you'll at least get a wristband for overflow as well.

20. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
  21. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I have always said they need to do a SW Celebration at San Diego like Comic-Con,Hall H & the Ballroom hold tons of people.

22. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    At Celebration Anaheim, the main Celebration Stage wasn't much smaller than Hall H in terms of capacity. People were arriving a mere few hours before the opening panel and still got in. It is smaller physically, but that's because the layout is different and there is tiered seating. Whereas Hall H is just one flat room with chairs lined up to the back.

That, and people line up days in advance for Hall H. As I made my way to the main exhibit hall on Friday morning I was amazed to see people in another line who were camped out for Hall H panels on Saturday. And they had clearly been there for some time already.

Also keep in mind it's only been in the last 10 years or so that SDCC has exploded the way it has. I was talking to people there last summer who told me it really wasn't all that long ago that you could arrive the day of and still buy a three day pass. Now it sells out in less than an hour months ahead of time. So overall, with SDCC being sort of a ground zero in terms of the whole Con circuit, this phenomenon of Cons being hugely populated events has really only become the norm fairly recently. It's always easy to compare, but at this point I don't doubt that event organizers still never quite know what to expect.

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I honestly don't see them doing these US shows anywhere but near a Disney property going forward. It just makes far too much sense in my opinion to suck every last penny out of us fans.

Padme501st likes this.
  24. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017
    Anyone have a suggestion on where to tell Uber to drop one off? If I just give the address for the convention center listed on the celebration site - would that get me there or should I just tell them a nearby hotel with one of the walkways over?

On Thursday, I'm planning to get there at 4 to 430AM to get in @5. And that night getting there before 8 to camp out for TLJ.

25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm going to WonderCon! I got somebody to cover a shift for me next Sunday. It's the Los Angeles/Orange County area's version of SDCC run by the same company. This year it's at the Anaheim Convention Center. I haven't been there since Celebration 2015, so it will definitely bring some nostalgia from that. And will be a nice little warmup for Orlando.