main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Orla's Story (AU/OC /Qui & Obi) - anuthor's note 01/30/07

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kestrel_Kenobi, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    great update kestrel!
    it was sad to see orla leave mul, but i suppose it was only a matter of time huh? i still felt bad for the poor guy!
    and now we start to see how this leads into your first challenge piece.. orla and obi-wan meet!
    i really look forward to seeing where this goes!
    =D=

2. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Poor Mul, he is so nice though, to let Orla go and be so understanding and braven about it. I'm so glad that at least they had those5 years to heal each other!
    Hmm, that scene with Sorro has Dickens creeping in again! ;) :D But very well done!
    And oh, finally OBI!! Good meeting, as Mul said, the people who suddenly come into our lives are the people we need most of all at that particular time

A wonderful way to round of this part!! =D= I loved ever liddle bit of it!

3. BrightFeather

BrightFeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    Nice part. *sigh* I just wish this weren't the last part before the new year.

4. Mind_Tricked

Mind_Tricked Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2005
    That was wonderful! =D=

Orla's and Mul's goodbye was very touching so was the part about Obi-Wan leaving the Temple! :_|
    Obi-Wan and Orla are so alike! They both are Force-sensitive and at the moment have no place to go and.. they are somehow connected to Qui-Gon! I have a hunch that the two kids will help each other...

Can't wait to read more!

5. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Oh wow! It's time. That scene gave me goosebumps. I am falling in love with your story, Kes, more and more each post. I can't wait until next year!

Merry Christmas, Dear.

6. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    what a lovely way to wrap up the year!
    so, those two finally get to meet. can't wait to see how you adapt your challenge story, you know how much i loved that!

happy holidays!

7. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Again, an amazing chapter! I think they keep getting better and better. :)

I'm going to miss Mul. He was so kind to Orla... :( His words were so touching: "I believe the people who suddenly come into our lives are the people we need most of all at that particular time. When that time is over it?s ok to be sad, but it?s also ok to move on and find those other people who are out there waiting for you."

I like how the Force brought Orla and Obi-Wan together - with a bump. :) Oh, I can't wait for them to get to know each other and for their friendship to unfold! Have a Merry Christmas, Kes! I'll be anxiously awaiting the next post. :D

8. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Ok, officially I'm not here [face_whistling], just wanted to say thank you for reading and I'll be posting asap!

obi-webb - Thanks :)...don't worry Mul will be back!

stella - Glad you enjoyed it!

BrightFeather - Thanks, I'll be updating in a week or so!

Mind_Tricked - Thank you!

Zonoma- [face_blush] ...Thanks Auntie, I'm so happy you're enjoying this!

J_L - Yep, though I have a few bits to tinker with. Without that challenge this story wouldn't be happening, so thank you for challenging me to do it! [:D]

Nienna - Thank you, I'll keep you updated! :)

9. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten this fic and all being well I'll have a new post up next week! Orla and Obi have been refusing to budge, but I'm getting there!

I also wanted to say thank you to those of you who have nominated this for an award. It means a lot. [:D]

10. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Notes: Sorry this update has taken so long ? the holidays mucked up my writing/posting schedule! Hopefully this chapter will make up for it! As always thanks for reading. [:D] to Leona.

Chapter 5 ? Orla and Obi

?It?s me,? Orla softly knocked on the half open door. ?Are you home??

?Orla?? Mul appeared in an instant, a huge grin on his face. ?Orla!?

He picked her up in his arms and gave her a huge hug. After their conversation a few weeks back she had began to venture further from him, although she returned regularly. This time she had been gone a few nights and Mul had tried not to worry, but his relief in seeing her safe was obvious.

Placing Orla on her feet he had a good long look at her. He was amazed at the difference in her; she seemed so full of life. Before she had seemed resigned to being something much less than she deserved, but now she had found whatever it was she had lost so many years ago.

Then he saw the young boy shyly lingering outside the door.

?Well, who have we here?? Mul asked as he gestured to them to come inside.

?This is Obi-Wan Ke?? Orla began, but was interrupted.

?No, it?s Obi now, just Obi,? he spoke firmly.

?Well,? Mul took Obi by the hand and gave him a firm handshake. ?Obi, I?m pleased to meet you?any friend of Orla?s is welcome here. Please sit.?

Orla and Obi sat side by side on the worn couch as Mul busied himself making them some hot drinks.

Orla regarded him curiously, aware that something had changed.

?What is it?? She asked Mul suddenly.

?Ah,? he sighed, trying to avoid her gaze. ?I never could keep anything from you.?

He gave a sad chuckle and sat opposite them on the small bed that had once been Orla?s own.

?Well, to tell you the truth,? he looked up. ?I?ve sold the bar.?

?Sold it??

?Well, you know there?s not much call for an honest barman round here.? He chuckled again. ?My old pa wouldn?t have been at all proud? he was a rogue, he was. But there you go; we?ve all got to live our own lives. So, yes it?s sold. I?m leaving in a few days??

Orla was at Mul?s side in an instant as Obi looked on.

She stared up at him and he cupped her head in his hands.

?You?re going to look for them?? she half whispered.

He nodded.

?I have to?I have to know.?

They sat in silence for a few minutes.

?I will miss you.? She said as tears fell from her cheeks.

Mul wiped them away while blinking back the tears from his own eyes.

?I will be back Orla, you know that don?t you??

?Yes,? Orla nodded. ?I believe you will??

Orla and Obi each had a bag of items bestowed upon them by Mul, as well as a number of credits he had insisted they take. Obi had stood back while they made their final farewells. He would not admit it, but he felt some jealousy at the bond these two shared.

Orla took his hand, bringing him back to the present. He glanced at her and they exchanged smiles. In the twenty four hours they had spent together they had talked lots, but found that sometimes all they needed would be a look or a single word and the other understood. It felt as if they had known each other a lifetime.

Obi was convinced the Force had brought them together and had spoken to Orla of it. As he explained what it she listened intently and smiled and nodded. Now she had a name for this mysterious feeling, this wonderful power and best of all she wasn?t the only one, she wasn?t alone.

Their first days together and on the streets passed haphazardly as they adjusted to their new life and surroundings. Finding food and shelter was the priority and slowly they found themselves falling into a routine revolving around these things.

Sometimes they would sit and meditate together. Obi would try to teach Orla some of the techniques he had learnt at the Temple. Her patience would soon run out though and as she grew bored Obi would suddenly find her arms about him, tickling hard under the ribs. Meditation forgotten they would both roll on the floor laughing and squealing.

Some days Obi

11. BrightFeather

BrightFeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    *sniffle* Poor Obi. Poor Orla. More soon, please.

12. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    kes that was beautiful! well worth the wait!
    you did such an amazing job of showing orla and obi's relationship as they both found purpose and continued to grow together.. and then at the end, when they confessed their love for eachother... again, beautiful!
    =D=

13. Mind_Tricked

Dec 1, 2005
    Great part, Kestrel!
    I really enjoyed the snapshots from Obi's and Orla's life. It's amazing that they devoted it to help others.

?This is our life for now,? she responded. ?I don?t feel it will always be though.?

-Well, me too! :) Because there's Qui-Gon out there..

Can't wait for the next part?

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Poor Obi-Wan, not wanting Mul to know his entire name. I like the idea that both Obi and Orla would go out of their way to help other children and it's now surprise that in time they would deveolpe feelings for each other.

Lovely post Kes. :)

15. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    That was so sweet! I hope Obi can listen to Orla and let go of the past.

16. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Wonderfully sweet, but of course its to be expected, look who the author is :D
    I loved how you've developed their growing relationship. Its a really good way of showing the passage of time, with those little snatches, and makes them seem much more poignant!
    I loved this bit
    Suddenly, she realized she wasn?t looking at a boy any more, but a young man and as he ran passed her and winked she felt her heart jump. He wasn?t just Obi any more, he was her Obi.

My Obi.

Orla smiled, it sounded good.

I can really feel that realisation coming through! Great job!!

17. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    lovely work, kes!
    i love how the two of them work together to gather the children and watch out for them. the development of their relationship is so natural.

wondering what the future holds for these two lovebirds.

18. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Amazing, Kes! =D= This chapter was so sweet! From Obi and Orla gathering up the unwanted children and giving them a home to the budding feelings Obi and Orla share. Everything was very tenderly done. :)

Not only able to heal wounds, she also helped to heal hearts.

*sniffle*

I wonder why Obi-Wan ran away from the Jedi... [face_thinking] I can't wait for the next post! Please keep me on your PM list.

19. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    You guys are so lovely - I've had a bad couple of days (well nights, my little boy decided he didn't need to sleep anymore :rolleyes: ) and these reviews really made me smile! I had the hardest time with this chapter and wasn't completely happy with it so I'm glad it worked! :D

BrightFeather ? I?m back on track now and should have the last chapter (gasp!) up next week!

Obi_webb ? Thank you so much :)

Mind_Tricked ? I really enjoyed the snapshots from Obi's and Orla's life. Thank you. Yep, Qui-Gon is on his way!

Leona ? Thanks! So glad you liked this part!

Jodiwent ? That was so sweet! Thank you ? I was hoping I hadn?t gone OTT with the mush!

Stella ? Aw, thank you sis ? and for putting up with my moaning about it!

J_L ? Thanks, all will (almost) be revealed soon!

Nienna ? I?m so happy you enjoyed this chapter. I wonder why Obi-Wan ran away from the Jedi. Ah, there I go making assumptions! This piece was inspired by a challenge in which Obi-Wan was never chosen to be a Jedi, but is about to be sent to the agri-corps. We had to come up with an alternative future for him. I'll address this a bit more in the next chapter!

Thank you all for reading and reviewing! Only one chapter to go, plus a lil? epilogue and then I think I may retire ? phew ;) ?

20. Mind_Tricked

Dec 1, 2005
    So I see that the positive influence is mutual. :)
    Your writing always brings some good energy to my disturbed thoughts.

Thank you!

I'm looking forward to the next chapter, too bad it's going to be the last one though.

take care!

21. TheLurker

TheLurker Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2005
    that was such a sweet chapter, i really enjoyed it :D
    thanks for the PM.

cheers
    ~Rhi

22. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    :_|*sigh* Just what I needed this morning! Heartwarming mush! Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, Kes! What a beautiful and consuming picture you painted.

EDIT:

Almost forgot!:p

CONGRATULATIONS!

on your noms, good show, Kes

23. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Mind_Tricked - Aw, thank you!

TheLurker - Thanks for reading - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Zonoma - [:D] Thank you - Glad the mush helped.

Next post should be up this weekend...I've got a bit caught up with the noms (a huge thanks to all who voted for this story - I'm overwhelmed :) ) and my new fic (I know, I know, I should of waited until this was done, but when those bunnies bite... ;) .)

24. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Notes: Well, this is it folks! Almost. I have an epilogue that I'll be posting as well.
    Thank you to all my lovely readers [:D] - it means so much that you've read and enjoyed this fic. And so on with the story...

Chapter 6 ? Destiny

Orla turned sharply and scanned the area. She had felt sure that someone was watching her. This feeling had been with her for the past few days, although she had said nothing to Obi of it. He always worried too much about her as it was.

Turning, she began to make her way back to the others. They had enough food to go around today and she felt uneasy about being out alone any longer. Breaking into a jog she rounded a corner and caught her breath as she came face to face with a cloaked figure.

?I mean no harm to you,? the stranger held up his arms in a gesture of peace and pulled down his hood revealing long dark hair and soft blue eyes.

The two stared at each other before he spoke.

?Orla,? he almost whispered her name.

Confused she started to nod.

?But how?? Orla began to ask.

Qui-Gon reached out and placed his hand on her cheek; Orla closed her eyes at the familiar warmth that spread from his touch.

Opening her eyes again she looked straight at the Jedi.

?We met before.?

?Yes, many years ago,? he looked at the tall girl before him. ?You were much smaller then?It gladdens me to see you.? He paused. ?My name is Qui-Gon Jinn."

?Jinn,? Orla quietly repeated the word under her breath and heard it echo inside her head.

Jinn

?Are you??? She looked at him, her eyes full of hope.

?Come.? Qui-Gon took her arm and lead her away from the street on which they stood.

?I am kin to you Orla that much I know, but?? He looked at her. ?I am not your father.?

?Oh,? she sighed a little, but then smiled. ?But we are kin??

?Yes, can you feel it??

Orla nodded.

?Yes, even without you telling me.? She hesitated slightly before continuing.
    ?You?re Jedi aren?t you.? It was more a statement than a question.

Now it was Qui-Gon?s turn to nod.

?Yes ? and I believe not the only one you have met.?

?You mean Obi?? She asked. ?But he?s not Jedi, he wasn?t chosen as an apprentice ?he left, he ran away.?

A look of regret flickered across Qui-Gon?s face.

Orla deep in thought had not noticed.

?How do you know about me and Obi??

The two started to walk again through the crowded Coruscant streets as Qui-Gon spoke.

?You were with Obi the first time I saw you - the first time after our brief encounter when you were little,? he paused. ?When I am in Coruscant I make my way here to check that you are all well. You have done a great deal of good in a place with little hope.? He looked at Orla with pride in his eyes.

?But why did you look for me?? Orla replied, curious.

?I could feel that you were different. The Force was strong in you, yes, but something else...So, I found the orphanage where you had lived and learnt that we were kin ? that?s what I felt when we met.? He paused. ?At first I believed you had been taken by the slavetraders.? Orla winced and automatically Qui-Gon placed his arm around her. ?It wasn?t till I returned many months...later that I began to feel you again, slowly opening up and letting go. If I could have found you before then...I...?

?I know you have commitments.? She started glancing at his lightsaber.

?Yes,? he replied. ?But perhaps I could have helped you, given you a different life...?

Many years had passed and Qui-Gon knew he had grown and changed considerably since his first meeting with Orla, but his feelings towards her were unchanged. But now meeting her face-to-face he had an over-whelming desire to look after her, to be a Father, to protect her.

Orla regarded him, absorbing his feelings and then shook her head and smiled.

?I have a good life,? she smiled and held out her arm revealing a small tattoo on her wrist. Qui-Gon leant forward to look at the entwining black loops.

?You?re wed?? he asked raising his eyebrow, but unable to suppress a smile.

?Yes,? sh

25. Jennifer_Lyn

Jun 8, 2005
    :_|
    that was beautiful, Kes!
    Orla and Qui got comforting closure and there's a baby on the way!

i love the tattoo idea, a lovely little bit.

just wonderful. can't wait to see what you've got for an epilogue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.