main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orson Scott Card - Shadow Puppets News

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    OSC's newest book in the Shadow series (Ender's Shadow. Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant) is coming out in July of 2002.

Here's the cover:

[image=http://images.chapters.indigo.ca/covers/books/017/0765300176_b.jpg]

wk

2. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Sweet.

3. Aroa

Aroa Jedi Master star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    nice

4. ZamWesell

ZamWesell Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2002
    Are the Ender stories good? I always wanted to try the series but don't know how good they are.

5. Gandalf_the_Pink

Gandalf_the_Pink Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2001
    The Ender series (Ender?s Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind)was OK, but the Bean (Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, and the forthcoming Shadow Puppets) series is great.

6. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    They are totally different series. The Speaker Trilogy part of the Ender series takes place like 3000 years after Ender's Game, while the Shadow series takes place within a few year of Ender's Game.

And the script for the Ender's Game movie will be a combo of Game & Shadow, and will focus more on the relationship between Ender and Bean than either bok alone does.

But there is still no studio signed on.

wk

7. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Im only up to Speker of the Dead in the Ender series, which Im currently reading and loving it. Ill come back when I finish the series so as not to be spoiled unwittingly.

8. Possessed-Freak

Possessed-Freak Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2002
    I think Card went through the 'I am not a kids writer, and I can prove it' stage when he wrote Speaker of the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind.

I read Ender's Game when I was 10 or so, and immediately went to Speaker and on. I read both of them, CotM was not out yet, and caught less than half the intended messages. I reread them a couple of years back and liked them much more.

The new 'shadow' series is a take back on his old writing style. It was lighter and more entertaining than Speaker, and the rest. Without giving away spoilers to those who have not read the shadow series... I can only say, Poor Bean in terms of his entire existance!

PF

PS, as I mentioned in another thread on the Ender series, I PRAY Spielberg does not get the movie rights to it, cause he will butcher it by adding in token minorities to play roles that never existed in the book (Lost World), let characters who die in the book live in the movie (JP)...

Ender's Game spoilers....

I can see it now, Petra is now a 1 legged girl from a minority who ends up making peace with the buggers instead of Ender blowing the planet up. Bean's character is eliminated completely. The buggers are rendered by pixar and are cute cuddly things that they can market to kids in the form of underoos and plush dolls. And because of political ties with Spain, Bonzo is no longer a dominant leader who fights Ender to the death, but a charasmatic one. Bitter? I am not bitter!

End spoilers

9. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    One of the reasons the film wasn't made 5 years ago is because OSC won't give up control on it. He's making sure that the film released in theatres is the exact same as the script he writes (and re-writes).

wk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.