OS announces return of OT character

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jedi_Master201, Apr 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I realize this isn't technically spoiler material, but my jaw dropped when I saw the headline.

I wish the OS wouldn't give out information so freely nowadays (and as they started to do toward AOTC's release).
  2. Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree with Mara.

I thought making Boba's dad be the source of the stormtroopers was rather far-fetched. How the hell do they think they can manage to throw Chewie in there in a way that makes sense and isn't ridiculous? :confused:

But, I'll be happy if it contradicts the EU. ;) 8-}
    (Just a joke, no offense intended)
  3. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    ha ha ha....even the admins are backing me on this one!

I thought we'd have more of a warning situation...this is like going straight to DefCon 5...

Maybe we could start a general topic thread that contains all the topics with anything that could be considered spoiler material, OS-approved or otherwise.

I really don't see how the Chewie info could be seen as anything BUT a spoiler - information I would rather not know, so I could be pleasantly surprised when watching the movie.

Though the letter of the law was definitely not broken here, and I'm not blaming Jedi Master 201, I believe the spirit of the law was broken.

Now I'll stop my whining on this topic for once and for all.;)
  4. suineme Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I don't think Chewbacca would be involved in hiding the twins. Remember that Chewbacca wasn't really all that friendly to Luke when he came up with the idea of making him a prisoner in the death star. If Obi Wan said "hey look out for this kid", i dont think he would have reacted that way.
  5. The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Master

star 4
    Mara, don't you think it's kind of presumptuous to condemn Chewbacca's cameo in Episode III without even knowing the context in which he will appear?
  6. JediSenoj451 Jedi Master

star 4
    I really don't see how the Chewie info could be seen as anything BUT a spoiler - information I would rather not know, so I could be pleasantly surprised when watching the movie.

Though the letter of the law was definitely not broken here, and I'm not blaming Jedi Master 201, I believe the spirit of the law was broken.

Precisely. I will admit, I was a bit angered to see the headline at the bottom of the page on the TF.N announcements. Although not *technically* a spoiler, for one who is trying to be as spoiler free as possible, the announcement that Chewie would be returning was a detail a little too spoilerish for my tastes. A basic plot summary is fine, George...but not that! :(

The fact that bothers me the most is that I wasn't even on the main TF.N page or in the spoiler free forum when I saw the announcement but in the fanfiction forum. I would like feel safe visiting at least a few of the JC boards without having to worry about seeing information that the super spoilerfree like me might deem spoilerish... I suppose it can't be helped. I just wish the headline had read closer to the title of this thread. Something along the lines of Returning OT Characters Revealed! would have been much better.

~*Senoj*~
  7. Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Senoj!! *waves*

But yea, it wasn't against the rules to post this but maybe it's a good time to rewrite those rules.

GL, the OS, and LucasFilm have been letting more and more info go out that most people who are trying to avoid spoilers are likely to regret knowing.

Hopefully I will be able to forget I heard this in the 2 years until III opens. ;)
  8. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    yeah, that's my plan as well. It's worked for many of the embarrassing incidents in my life, as well as everything I learned last semester, why can't it work for SW information?

I suppose the real secret is simply not to visit theforce.net or these forums anymore, but I'd rather not do that if I can help it.
  9. suineme Jedi Youngling

star 2
    If the rumors of starwars.com being a pay site are true, then that should help. I was almost relieved when I read that because that means that there will be even less information available for me to read. I'm sure some of it will trickle down to theforce.net and other sites, though. This is the last Star Wars movie, for crying out loud, i want to be as surprised as possible.
  10. Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, I don't read the TF.n main page at all. The OS is my home page, but the headlines are usually vague enough to let me know that I don't want to read that news without revealing too much.

For AOTC, I gave up visiting it entirely for the 2 months leading up to the release. I didn't think I'd have to do that so soon. :/
  11. suineme Jedi Youngling

star 2
    For AOTC, I gave up visiting it entirely for the 2 months leading up to the release.

How did that work out? Were you surprised when you finally saw the movie?
  12. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I have faith that Lucasfilm is not gonna spoil us on anything major. Hell, I was ticked off with AOTC cuz I found out that Jango was a clone. Then it was in one of the trailers anyway, so I was not really spoiled. I doubt this really is gonna be that big a thing in Ep. 3.

I WAS peeved at how tf.n handled this however. Putting the name of the characters in the Recent Headlines thing makes it impossible for anyone to even avoid it. Even if they avoid tf.n main page altogether, it was still at the bottom of every single JC forum page. Their title should have been like the (edited) title of this thread: "EP3: Official Site unveils classic characters in Episode III." Then let the people who wanna be spoiled go click it. NEVER EVER put the spoiler IN THE TITLE OF ANYTHING!!!! :mad:

13. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Mara, don't you think it's kind of presumptuous to condemn Chewbacca's cameo in Episode III without even knowing the context in which he will appear?

From the highly slanted manner in which you phrased your question, I'll conclude that you think the answer is 'yes'. However, the context in which he appears is irrelevant. The sheer number of coincidental meetings that have occurred in the PT already make the events of the first two prequels almost mind-boggling improbable. If another OT character appears in any context in E3, you can tack another 10^10 onto that mind-bogglingly improbable figure.

The fact is Chewie has no relationship to any of the PT characters, so if Lucas wants to work him into the story, he's going to have to jump through hoops like you wouldn't believe. The outcome of an effort like that usually isn't a positive addition to the film.
  14. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I agree with Mara. Anything beyond a very short cameo would be really pushing it. Something akin to the rise of the empire montage (where you see various planets fall under the Emperor's rule in a parallel to the end of ROTJ:SE) that I've been suggesting for some time. Perhaps seeing Chewie being forced into slavery (5 second cameo tops) would be "ok".
  15. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The sheer number of coincidental meetings that have occurred in the PT already make the events of the first two prequels almost mind-boggling improbable. If another OT character appears in any context in E3, you can tack another 10^10 onto that mind-bogglingly improbable figure.

Uhhh, or perhaps the will of the Force? All sorts of silly, improbably things happen in the SW universe, and it gets put down to the will of the Force.

But yeah, I'd like this cameo to be small. I'm not a big fan of having to use OT characters all the time. There is a nice gap between Trilogies, so its a great chance to set up a seperate set of stories, with minimal character crossover. Give the PT its own identity.
  16. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    1. Hell, I was ticked off with AOTC cuz I found out that Jango was a clone
    I ain't nit-picking, but technically, he's not a clone is he? :p
    Sorry. [face_plain] //slaps wrist

2. I can see why people are starting to get hacked off with all these 'coincidental' meetings. Personally it doesn't bother me too much, but yes - there's got to be a line somewhere. Hopefully it will just be a small cameo, so that geeks like me can grin like all-knowing idiots in the cinema :p

3. Does anyone else think that GL has done this just to pi$$ Dave Prowse off?
    All that whining about coming back to play Vader, to the point where he's cirtually claiming to be 'the one true Vader' certainly got my back up; and I like the bloke!
    IMO Ep3 doesn't need Prowse, it's that simple. The story's centering around Hayden, deal with it.
    Getting Pete Mayhew back for a cameo would be the ultimate way to put Prowse back in his box for good!

Just my 2p's worth. :D

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  17. JKBurtola Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Hmmmm I dunno what to think after this news.
    But since I believe Lucas isn't trying to tie everything together.
    Hopefully its just a cameo.
  18. AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Master

star 4
    i never would of thought 3P0 and R2 would be in this one... :p
  19. moby Jedi Knight

star 1
    I bet Chewie will be used a lot like Dex, one of Obi-Won's circle of contacts and friends. He seemed to know him in ANH.
  20. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    one of Obi-Won's circle of contacts and friends. He seemed to know him in ANH.

Chewie's "where did you dig up that old fossil?" line may rebut that
  21. Darth Mischievous Force Ghost

star 6
    I think we will see how Chewie and his Wookiee friends have become enslaved with the rise of the Empire (before Han frees him).
  22. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Congrats to Mayhew, but I do wish this hadn't been posted so obviously on the headlines, too.

Maybe we'll have a quick visit to Kashyyyk or something in Ep3.
  23. Emos-Edud Jedi Master

star 4
    Just think how funny it'll be to see Jar Jar make fun of Chewbacca's way of talking.
  24. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't care whether it's announced on the official site or not. I consider this a spoiler.

But then it's my own fault for still hanging around here. The only way to avoid any further spoilers is to go cold turkey for the next two years.
  25. Adi_Gallia_9 Chosen One

star 5
    I'm not too pleased with this on many levels. First, I agree that this is too conincidental. We already have R2, 3PO, Boba Fett, Owen, Beru, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, Vader, Yoda and Jabba all from the OT. While obviously some are main characters, it seems ridiculous to throw in yet another OT character, especially if it is just a cameo with no real significance to the story. Perhaps, as it has been suggested, Chewie will seen becoming a slave; that might work and be understandable. We will have to see.

But the second point I wanted to make was not only am I not too happy about Chewie being in Ep. III, but this is definately spoilerish. I understand the policy at this forum, that things on the official site aren't spoilers and this thread is perfectly legit, but I think we need to evaluate that policy with Windy and Stinrab. The introduction of new main characters would be hard for anyone to avoid eventually. But something like this, something that will undoubtedbly be a cameo, is definately something a lot of us want to avoid. It's knowing this kind of information that ruins the experience of seeing Ep. III unspoiled. As I said, I have nothing wrong with this thread, but we need to be a little more discerning about what we post from TOS.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.